Endangered-EGO

No self in front of the mirror.

34 posts in this topic

I just had a terrifying second of "nonself..." In front of the mirror.

Just looked into it for a while and boom.

My inner sense of self recognised itself with the reflection of my head until I was not the reflection and not the subject anymore.

I tried to reproduce it but couldn't. I couldn't tell you what I exactly did.

Maybe you can help, do you know any self-inquiry methods in front of the mirror.

I would like to be able to maintain that state. But couldn't reproduce it. Maybe I'm gonna meditate in front of the mirror now, I'm not sure what to do with awareness though. I'm very distracted by the reflection of my face changing color/form etc too.

had an experience of no-self.’

Do you see the problem here?

No-self = no you.

How could you experience something that requires you not to exist?

Just now, mw711 said:

had an experience of no-self.’

Do you see the problem here?

No-self = no you.

How could you experience something that requires you not to exist?

You're wrong because I've had the same experience that he's describing.  During the experience there ceases to be an I.  But for language sake, he has to use I to tell us on the forum that "he" witnessed no self by looking in the mirror.  The use of I is saying he's not longer free from the little self illusion right now but can recollect an event in which he wasn't "there".

OP, did it feel like the space behind your eyes vanished along with your sense of self?  Like a void screen was playing a movie of a guy looking at a reflection of himself in the mirror, in a way?

@hoodrow trillson

If there ceases to be an ‘I,’ by definition, you did not experience anything.

There would be no you to/it’s not the you you think it is.

Edited by mw711

Uh-oh, the nondual speech police is on the road... HIDE THE BOOZE!

Why so serious?

This is also the case when you are talking to humans. You think there is a "you" that the human is interacting with, but they are actually looking at nothing.

Therefore your perceived relationships with them are indeed imaginary....and they don't exist just like your physical body doesn't.

Scary stuff

I've heard Eckhart Tolle say that is a good sign that you're making progress on your spiritual path. :) I wouldn't worry about it.

@hoodrow trillson void screen is accurate. No thought either. But not in a DP/DR sense. There wasn't a real reaction from ego mind during it. Of course the weirdness brought me back.

@mw711 bro, we're far beyond that conceptual self. I'm very well aware of the absense of self when merging and when the sense of self disappears.

You're misusing pointers from nondual teachers.

You're right in how you're pointing, but you're not right in saying that I had no no-self, because i use language?

"Does the experience want that thought to articulate everything like that, for it, to prove to itself that there's no I"?

Sounds retarded to me.

1 hour ago, Endangered-EGO said:

My inner sense of self recognised itself with the reflection of my head until I was not the reflection and not the subject anymore.

Nice! Enlightenment is the collapse of the distinction between that and ordinary presence... i.e. that "state" is only a memory -- nothing has actually changed -- presence is absence and reality is unreality. Then, everything is "on the same level" -- awareness has the same status as chair, table, body, thought, etc.

Edited by The0Self

54 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

I tried to reproduce it but couldn't. I couldn't tell you what I exactly did.

Maybe you can help, do you know any self-inquiry methods in front of the mirror.

I wou

55 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

If there is no self, what is mirror? You had a just glimpse of it.

56 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

I would like to be able to maintain that state. But couldn't reproduce it.

“You” cant, have to let go the “you”, who eants achieve such a state, when there is no you no more states. That’s enlightenment. 

And it might be tough talk for you whatever i am saying but all point is breaking “you” in this path. 

3 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

So I guess I'll just stay in front of the mirror, and there's nothing else to do.

Inquire into what knows the difference between that state and this/now.

Edited by The0Self

16 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

@The0Self Any idea on how to maintain that state except to stay in front of the mirror?

Well you can't really. Self-inquiry (repeatedly turning away from every object no matter how subtle by looking for its assumed knower) until it gives way to pure subjectivity, and beyond, can maybe seem to be associated with it. The point is the seeming allure and significance of that state is just as much here and now.

Edited by The0Self

@Endangered-EGO

I never said there was not an experience of no self, I just said that if there was - you couldn’t do it by definition.

I am willing to believe, absolutely that there was an experience of no self. 

you misunderstand me.

but explaining is futile becauseyou are way beyond that and what I’m saying is retarted, lmao

:( 

Maybe you’d feel what you want if you got rid of your beliefs that certain things are retarted, that your way beyond ego dilution and that theres this experience separate from you that you have to get. 

or you can keep misinterpreting people who are just talking and keep calling people names because you’re clearly butt hurt.

:) 

Not my fault you misunderstood me and thought I said you didn’t have your experience.

Would an egoless man have been so offended?

Edited by mw711

@mw711 I'm asking :"How do I get there again".

You say:"There's no I to get there".

This is BS. Go talk like that to a master he'll throw you out of his class.

I'm not talking about language, I'm merely using language.

Edited by Endangered-EGO
Autocorrect

@Endangered-EGO

We need to appreciate the use of language.

you may not understand how connected to your psyche it is.

i’m not just playing word games, but I am sorry it sounds like that

I do have to poke people sometimes in my own stupid way to aggravate them and let them know this is serious

The place you went has no room for you.

When you don’t want to go there anymore, you’re welcome

when you accept it, the paradoxes is it changes

can you stop trying to get rid of yourself?love yourself honestly

Then you need not be here anymore

No self

Edited by mw711

4 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

@mw711 I'm asking :"How do I get there again".

You can't by talking like that. By thinking like that, you won't. If you have prior knowledge to something you did before that involves no-self and you try to replicate it all you will do is end up with more self, rather than less.

I'll be more specific: Attempting to get there again while in-front of a mirror is both pointless now and counter-intuitive. Use the reference you had to find this state, or lack there of, in all aspects of life. Honestly, it would be best if you forgot what happened in front of the mirror and told yourself that you don't actually know what happened instead of drawing a conclusion to there was no self. These experiences will ultimately trap you like a ball and chain holding you back and they are only the illusion of progress. Having others congratulate you or tell you that you are correct in thinking that way is equally a trap in itself.

The idea is to release all ideas and allow yourself to flow. Don't seek to have another no-self experience for that will only create a divide. Don't think about how you are a self or aren't a self. Just be, always be. Don't reflect, for it creates the divide. You will never know when you are in that no-self mode for the moment you point to it your efforts (or lack there of) is now in vain. This includes talking about it or using "language" on a public forum to others.

2 minutes ago, mw711 said:

@Endangered-EGO

When you don’t want to go there anymore, you’re welcome

when you accept it, the paradoxes is it changes

can you stop trying to get rid of yourself love yourself honestly do you need not be here anymore

Start with that. That's a real pointer.

The "there's no you to awaken" is not helping people who had glimpses. This is only helping people who don't know there's a conceptual self and a higher/no self.