Progress

College?

23 posts in this topic

So I'm not sure if I should go to college. I plan to start a life coaching business and from that a large movement. Would college be worth it? It is quite expensive for an experience. Would college help me in my career? 

In my country it's just a certificate that you're a better slave, at least slightly more intelligent one. Other than it doesn't mean anything. But the experience is considerable.

I would go to college, if only for the girls! ;)

But if don't care about girls (or guys) and you are fiercely self-motivated, the go do your own thing. Just remember that making a living in the real world all by yourself without a safety net is FUCKING HARD! The business world will beat you to the ground over and over and over again.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

What? Why not go to the college for education??

Personally I am going to go to architecture college. How else am I gonna learn and study it when I finish high-school this year? Plus it's my passion. I don'tknow why are you questioning it... Tell me if I'm missing something

I would suggest that you do go to college, but if academia is not something that you see yourself doing any time in the future, than, maybe chose something that can help you start your busines, like menagement or economics. Even psychology might be a good choice.

Another point that you'll want to keep at the back of your mind is that sometimes people judge others prematurely based on their qualifications, so having a diploma from a well established institution can only be a plus, right. :)

College does not entitle you to a job. If you make the investment in college, you need to keep this in mind. The thing that gets you ahead in life is your own passion, motivation, and drive.  Before you decide to invest in college, I highly suggest you do the math and be realistic about it and what an entry level position in your chosen field pays (many people overestimate how much they will make because they have a degree). I graduated in 2011, most people that are my peers are making around $40,000 or less a year. Most people invest at least $60,000 in college, plus the interest. Calculate how much college with actually cost you over time with the interest, and figure out how long it will take you to pay it off with an average wage. Then look at how much you will make without going to college, plus the money you will save not paying for it, and the money you will make being in the work force during the 4 years you will spend in college.  Many people end up paying double the amount of money over the life of a loan because of interest and only being able to afford paying the minimum. Unless you plan on living with parents for an extended period of time, most of your income will go to living expenses if you are in the ballpark of what most people that work at jobs pull in, that leaves a little wiggle room for payments. I am not too keen on college. I think the price is bloated, I think the promise of a job is a lie, and I think it depends on what field you are going into whether it is worth it or not. Is your field something you need college for or can you get an education through different avenues at much less of a cost? I am an artist and I wish I invested the money I spent on college, into building my business. I am not a fan of having debt over my head, I am now paying for my choices. If I did not have debt, I would have more options in life currently. But if you are planning to be a doctor, or another field that you KNOW you will be bringing in money, it might be worth it. If you want to start a business, I think you'd be better off investing the money into the business. There are so many free business courses, or business courses that are a lot less expensive than college, that really successful people offer (for example Marie Forleo has B-School, which costs around $2,000). Honestly, I think college is one of the biggest money making scams in history and the price just keeps going up while people's wages are stagnant. Almost everyone has a degree for something or other now a days, which means those degrees are essentially useless. So, are you paying for a piece of paper that you think will guarantee you money?  Or are you paying for the experience, the networking, and the education? What is it that you really want out of college and can you get it somewhere else? Those are the things I would advise anyone considering college to think about. Also, I know people that went to business school and are clueless about business. The best way to learn how to build a business is through experience, trial and error, and following the techniques of people that have figured out how to do what you would like to do.  Also, do the teachers in this school actually own their own businesses?  You know what they say, sometimes those that can't do teach. Food for thought. 

Edited by carrotqueen

I recommend you read

"The Education of Millionaires by Michael Ellsberg"

It will aid you in your decision by showing you what's possible and realistic and it'll dispel any preconceived ideas about college's value which is preached by society. 

@Progress I HIGHLY suggest you save yourself from the debt you'll incur paying for those years of college and use that money to pour into your passion.  Starting out with lump sums of debt is not a good foot for your business.  You really want to be clear of that mountain and raincloud hanging over your head.  

If you already KNOW what you're going to do, start out doing that FULL steam!  Be open and flexible, you don't have to stay in the US to make ends meet, you can move to places where life is more affordable abroad and start coaching people there in those communities.  College is very much overrated.  I would only suggest it if you have the money and time to waste.  I have my degree in Economics and it was a real waste of time...I was only doing it because I thought it was the "right" thing to do, but in the long run, it held me back and institutionalized my thinking.  College is just another debt-trap...don't fall into it.

Take a year off and travel.  If you arent sure about what to do then spend some time working on yourself and your passion.  You are young with nothing really tying you down, go have an adventure, go have some fun.

I think that you should not just analyze it as a pure economic investment as other people are suggesting. Let's say that you invest $60k and then you end up getting a $30k salary. Yes, if we were talking about bonds, stocks or property it was a bad investment but we are talking about education. What about the experience? The learning? Friends you may make that last a life time, girls (or guys), the good times, the bad times, life experience. 

You got my point.

That is also Return on investment. If I go on holidays I spend, say, $3k. But what do i get in return? Seeing amazing places, learning about other cultures, expanding my horizons, fucking/meeting people, etc.

I'm starting Uni in two weeks. Will give you updates about my experience. 

I reckon you go, don't be afraid of making a mistake.

Best of Luck!

Pros:

1)Certification thats help you to become a slave if you need to be one to pay off outstanding debts

2)You get to meet some great people through professors and class mates,and some really hot girls

3)Disciplined knowledge,you can write exams do lab work and all those

4)Social Prestige-only if you get a good college

Requirements: Financial stability,dont waste your life paying college loans

Genuine Interest and Aptitude-Go for it if you have academic inclination

Or if you are passionate about STEM and medicine and law.

Cons-

1)Serious financial burden

2)Chances of getting entangled in the bureaucracy and boring part of it all like strenuous projects papers blah blah blah

3)You will get zero practical knowledge

4) Chances of engaging in low consciousness stuff like frats,parties,peer pressures

5)Surrendering control of your life-you have to put in all nighters learning some stuff you dont like.

Requirements-Go for it if you are really passionate and found our life purpose.

You can become an auto-didact and get ahead in life without certificates

Edited by Rito

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."-Oscar Wilde

@Nick Architects (engineers, physicist's, doctors, even philosophers), highly specialized professions, need college no question. 

Business people... some of the colleges have little substance or provide you with knowledge unrelated to your profession. He hasn't picked a field where he would like to get thorough background. That's why he's questioning.  

@SueEsser I can smell cheap sales pitch thousands miles away. Whats the point of reopening 2016 topics lol

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 29/05/2019 at 8:37 PM, Elisabeth said:

@Nick Architects (engineers, physicist's, doctors, even philosophers), highly specialized professions, need college no question. 

Nope - I'm an engineer earning over 200K a year without a college degree. Not needed.

But the path I took is not for the faint of heart, you need to put your heart and soul into your profession, and rely on God's grace to get you through.

@electroBeam  Are you still giving it all up to go and live in the forest/ simple life, or will you still work?

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

1 hour ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

@electroBeam  Are you still giving it all up to go and live in the forest/ simple life, or will you still work?

Yep, already moved houses. I've got unfinished business to end first(finishing/exiting a startup I made) which would be unfair to my cofounder if I left now, once that's out of the way, off to find a cave :)

@electroBeam  Best of luck man, I look forward to hearing about your awakenings and welcoming you back when the time is right!

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 14/02/2016 at 5:56 AM, ayokolomo said:

Take a year off and travel. 

This! IF you can do it.

If you have to pay more than lets say 8k per year, really think about it, at least study something which has some value, e.g. informatics, engineering, business, architecture.

College is worth it for the network and the time.

I loved my time in college, but It was too much holidays, even though I studied quite a lot.
If you can work on your projects, go to the gym, fuck girls, and pass your classes, without going into much debt, then do it!

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

On 22.04.2020 at 8:03 PM, electroBeam said:

Nope - I'm an engineer earning over 200K a year without a college degree. Not needed.

But the path I took is not for the faint of heart, you need to put your heart and soul into your profession, and rely on God's grace to get you through.

how did you do that?

explain grammar to an alien ?

On 4/22/2020 at 7:03 PM, electroBeam said:

Howww