unborn_chicken

Aren't destiny and free will the same thing?

14 posts in this topic

What is your thinking? If your thinking is that your destiny is to have free will and no matter your choices, you will be endlessly fulfilling your destiny, then I think you are correct :) 

The journey is already done, so nothing can be done, not to mention there’s no one to do it, and there’s no free will and choice.

There are no limits, and all there is is uncaused love. Unknowable yet infinitely free.

There is no free will, because all there is is free will.

This is infinity. There is just everything. Destiny and free will may seem rather beside the point when it’s recognized there’s nothing even happening in the first place. Infinity might appear as the carving out, with free will, of a destiny chosen by higher self imagining what would happen if it imagined itself to be finite — with infinite power anything it imagines is so — it’s this appearing as that story (though the particular aspects just described have no need to be obvious).

Edited by The0Self

free will is god's :)

so be god absolutely

and fret not toil not

this be your destiny

I think most people use the phrase 'Free Will' to mean the opposite of 'Destiny'.

Destiny: the events that will necessarily happen to a particular person or thing in the future. (notice that this literally describes any future that happens, no matter what that future looks like. Of course what happens in the future happens necessarily, otherwise that's not what will happen.) 

'Free Will' for most people, is defined as the opposite of 'Destined'.. but 'destined' has no opposite.. whatever happens is always destined to happen, otherwise it wouldn't happen.  If you press them to really consider what they mean by 'Free Will', they won't be able to say what they mean, because it's a nonsense notion.  The phrase itself, 'free will', is an oxymoron. Its self contradictory.. like a 'square circle', or a 'tiny giant'.   Consider what most people understand the word 'will' to mean..  I will go to the store.. The sun will rise.  What changes when we add the word 'freely'? I will go to the store freely.  The sun will rise freely.  'Free Will' must mean something other than just plain old 'Will'.. so what most people don't realize, is that the term 'free will' must mean something 'other than will'...  but we know this makes no sense in any context..

"I will go to the store freely"  must mean "I will go to the store other than how I will".

"The Sun will rise freely' must mean "The Sun will rise other than how it will". 

Sure, if you want to play language and definition games, 'Circle' can mean the same thing as 'Square' as long as I think 'Circle' means 'a shape with 4 equal length sides and 4 ninety degree corners'.  Anything can mean anything you want it to, if that's how we're playing the language game..  but then it becomes impossible to use language to convey meaning to others, and words only have meaning to the person saying them, and mean nothing to the person hearing them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Any attempt to interfere with how things are occurring is always just more 'how things are already occurring'".  You literally can not interfere with how the Universe is being, because anything you do is 'how the Universe is being'. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

9 minutes ago, cypres said:

but choosing the route it wanted. Thoughts?

How does it decide what route it wanted? Could it want something other than what it wants? 

I see no freedom here. The Universe is slave to how it wants to be. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

I think the statement "I could've done otherwise"(related to the idea of free will) is just speculation, a fantasy, it can't be proven to be true.

Similarly to what Mason Riggle said, i think that free will = no destiny, no free will = destiny.

I don't use the word destiny, unless i'm joking or being sarcastic. It sounds a bit woo woo to me. 

18 minutes ago, cypres said:

I have to think more about that.

While you're at it.. try to notice where your thoughts come from.   From your perspective, they merely arise in your awareness from 'nowhere', no different how than the words I'm typing arise in your awareness.   You have no more idea what you will think next  than you have what I will type next.   

I could start writing about Buffalo Style Flamingo Wings... where did that come from?  You have no idea.   The same thing is happening in your own mind. 

Where is the freedom? 

Edited by Mason Riggle

Everything is "destiny." Life makes no mistakes.

as for free will. heres my favorite quote that sums it up perfectly.

"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills." - Sir Arthur Schopenhauer

So I guess they are kinda the same huh xD

3 hours ago, noticeom said:

Everything is "destiny." Life makes no mistakes.

as for free will. heres my favorite quote that sums it up perfectly.

"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills." - Sir Arthur Schopenhauer

So I guess they are kinda the same huh xD

This makes them opposites. 

Destined- whatever will be will be.

'Free Will'- whatever will be, could be other than it will.

On 12.8.2021 at 5:00 AM, unborn_chicken said:

I feel like both ideas paradoxically co-exist, Am I wrong?

I tend to agree.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:00 AM, unborn_chicken said:

I feel like both ideas paradoxically co-exist, Am I wrong?

No, you are 100% correct. Our society just trained us to think these must necessarily exclude one another.

@cypres intentions arise unintentionally.