Preety_India

Is my personality suited for a psychologist ?

17 posts in this topic

I'll be applying for a course to become a psychologist in the future..

I still have doubts about this road in life.

Sometimes I have fears and insecurities regarding how my personality will fit in with that of a psychologist. 

What do you think about this career choice ?

Do you need a specific personality and how do I match with it ?

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I think if you feel excited about it, then surely it must be the right choice for you. Yesterday I had my first 1-on-1 video guidance with someone, helping the other to see he wasn't a body or person. Felt excited and nervous for it, but the conversation went really good it felt really good too. Following excitement/joy is my guiding light and doubt it could possibly lead you wrong

If you don't have fears and doubts, you're either stupid, or doing nothing with your life.

- Sam Ovens

6 hours ago, Preety_India said:

If you're doing it because it feels right and it excites you, then that's all that matters. Not what others think.

6 hours ago, Preety_India said:

What an interesting way to set a trap for yourself to shield yourself from your innate confidence :)

(Suppose you did need a specific personality, and you didn't have it! Oh no, what then? It's a nice game ;))

You must not be very comfortable (yet) with being confident in yourself "just because".

Standing in your greatness can be terrifying.

And that's okay. You can use this energy and transform it into motivation to get better at your new calling.

The more shadow work you do, the more clearly you can see. And the more unbiased and effective a therapist you can be.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

1 minute ago, flowboy said:

If you don't have fears and doubts, you're either stupid, or doing nothing with your life.

- Sam Ovens

If you're doing it because it feels right and it excites you, then that's all that matters. Not what others think.

What an interesting way to set a trap for yourself to diminish your innate confidence :)

(Suppose you did need a specific personality, and you didn't have it! Oh no, what then? ;))

You must not be very comfortable (yet) with being confident in yourself "just because".

And that's okay. You can use this energy and transform it into motivation to get better at your new calling.

The more shadow work you do, the more clearly you can see. And the more unbiased and effective a therapist you can be.

That was wonderful. Thank you.

You inspire me to become better.

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

That was wonderful. Thank you.

You inspire me to become better.

??

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

It's not so much about personality per se as the therapist-client connection.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Go for it!

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

1 hour ago, SamC said:

Go for it!

:x

16 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I'll be applying for a course to become a psychologist in the future..

I still have doubts about this road in life.

Sometimes I have fears and insecurities regarding how my personality will fit in with that of a psychologist. 

If you (or anyone) wants to become a therapist, there has to be a lot of inner work done in terms of dropping judgments.

This means, that no matter what kind of choices a person is making in their lives, you would be aware that you'd make the same decision if you were in their exact position (in terms of nature and nurture).

So, the challenge would be... can you accept any which way that people are as a valid starting point for the therapy?

This means that, if a person came in whose choices you TOTALLY disagreed with or even abhorred, would you be able to see that you'd choose the same thing if you were them. And then, without resistance or judgment, meet them exactly where they are... all-the-while knowing that the best you can do in any given session is to help them shift one degree in the right direction.

Is that something you feel like you can do? 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

2 minutes ago, Emerald said:

If you (or anyone) wants to become a therapist, there has to be a lot of inner work done in terms of dropping judgments.

This means, that no matter what kind of choices a person is making in their lives, you would be aware that you'd make the same decision if you were in their exact position (in terms of nature and nurture).

So, the challenge would be... can you accept any which way that people are as a valid starting point for the therapy?

This means that, if a person came in whose choices you TOTALLY disagreed with or even abhorred, would you be able to see that you'd choose the same thing if you were them. And then, without resistance or judgment, meet them exactly where they are... all-the-while knowing that the best you can do in any given session is to help them shift one degree in the right direction.

Is that something you feel like you can do? 

I need to be totally honest. I don't think I can do it at this stage. But I love to study human psychology and provide tools to people to help them. That means I possess the basic engine but fine tuning or polishing isn't there.

Maybe with time, I will keep polishing the engine to the point it gives the desired outcome 

@Emerald I do posses one skill that I am confident about based on feedback given by people who I helped in the past.

And that skill is intuition. 

My intuition is generally on point, at least that's how people experience me.

I'm not sure how important this skill is in the field of psychology.

I developed this skill in childhood where I learned to navigate the world mostly through a child like Intuition rather than direct observation. It honed my intuition because I majorly relied only on Intuition to understand situations in life.

Just now, Preety_India said:

I need to be totally honest. I don't think I can do it at this stage. But I love to study human psychology and provide tools to people to help them. That means I possess the basic engine but fine tuning or polishing isn't there.

Maybe with time, I will keep polishing the engine to the point it gives the desired outcome 

That's good to have that self-awareness. 

My advice would be to work on getting up underneath any lifestyle judgments you might have towards others.

Judgments are always a symptom of something deeper. So, the way to drop them is to find the root of the judgment and work on that.

For example, someone might be dealing with self-esteem issues that make them feel inferior. So, judgments can arise against others to make them feel superior to others to compensate for their feelings of inferiority. So, if this person notices their judgment, they can explore it deeper to find the root... which are the issues with self-esteem that make them feel inferior. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Emerald I do posses one skill that I am confident about based on feedback given by people who I helped in the past.

And that skill is intuition. 

My intuition is generally on point, at least that's how people experience me.

I'm not sure how important this skill is in the field of psychology.

I developed this skill in childhood where I learned to navigate the world mostly through a child like Intuition rather than direct observation. It honed my intuition because I majorly relied only on Intuition to understand situations in life.

I'd say that it's a very important quality. A good psychologist must be able to have an intuitive sense for where the person is and how to facilitate their growth. 

Emotionalmastery.org

@Emerald another skill I possess is the ability to breakdown complex subjects. I can go deeper and deeper into something without feeling overwhelmed or superficial. 

So if there's something complex, I try to have a multi dimensional paradoxical approach to it which a lot of people find very chaotic yet my ability to hold that chaos perfectly as though it's nothing dangerous is really unique, I don't feel the need to have a certain order in my thoughts and this lack of rigidity can make me jump from one perspective to another with ease. Most people find it uncomfortable to deviate from a particular perspective because they find it ego threatening whereas I kinda keep ego aside and try not to allow my ego to hold a perspective, so if something feels right as long as it feels logical and right, my ego doesn't deny it. 

So a person can hold a conversation with me till infinity without getting bored.

Do you enjoy it and find it interesting?

I'd recommend just seeing if you can coach some people over zoom for free first.  Tell them you're trying to get experience.  I've done this a few times.  It's worth a shot to see what style of therapy and work you like best, or if therapy is even right for you in the first place as a profession.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

To be honest, I think it would suit you more than being a writer. You seem to be very interested in analyzing people's emotions, and you are an empath. Those are a good traits in psychologist.

Maybe, after some years of doing that, you could step it up a notch, and after having some enlightement and awakening experiences, you'd be able to offer some sort of spiritual form of therapy. Just my 2 cents?