Thought Art

Adeptus makes a good point (reality isn't an illusion)

124 posts in this topic

What are you opinions on this? He makes a lot of sense to me. 

I am still struggling with all the information I am learning about what reality really is. 

I can say that, his point of view makes a lot more sense for surviving reality and this seems to be a mature and grounded way to approach reality.

My personal understanding is that reality is infinite intelligence and the manifestation of this intelligence. It's all connected and a weird strangeloop. It's nothing. But, it exists.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

The one who judges others and others' opinions = ego

But wise dude sure. Ultimately, incredibly disillusioned like the rest of us, though ???????????????️???

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

@Thought Art He doesn't understand that 'real' and 'seeming real' are the same thing.   (Deepak perhaps misses this point as well) 

His example about the rock hitting his head without him being aware of it proving 'reality' is 'real' whether there's anyone 'aware of it' or not is not a sound argument, because he must be aware of 'the experience of a rock hitting his head', otherwise.. did a rock hit his head? How would he know? He must be 'aware of it'.  From his perspective, the only one he has, if he doesn't experience the rock hitting his head, then this is no different from 'the rock not hitting his head'.  It's 'the experience' that makes it 'real' for him. 

Consider.. is this forum 'actually real' (not an illusion), or does it just 'seem real' (an illusion)?

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

What difference does it make if reality is 'real' or 'illusion' anyway?

I've lost all interest in questioning the nature of reality.  It just is what it is, and all the various views and insights into its nature are just more parts of it.

Great video ?

Yes, infinite different perspectives about the nature of physical reality and or the standpoint that it's unknowable or ungraspable, does not constitute it as being a complete illusion either. (Jim Newman calls it real & unreal)

Some gurus are pointing to a bigger picture understanding that the nature of reality is impermanence and therefore dreamlike or ultimately unreal.... for example: The rock will eventually break down into smaller rocks and the smaller rocks into sand and the sand into dust and so on. The body that is temporarily perceiving reality will eventually die and decompose and so on.

Obviously this big picture understanding gives a different feel to the meaning of the word reality.

If everything is temporary then is there anything that's ultimately real?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

4 minutes ago, kinesin said:

What difference does it make if reality is 'real' or 'illusion' anyway?

I've lost all interest in questioning the nature of reality.  It just is what it is, and all the various views and insights into its nature are just more parts of it.

?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Adeptus will do anything to confirm his own biases.  Until he has a genuine awakening he will be stuck in materialism.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

He chooses consensus reality as a baseline and reserves the term "illusion" for the so-called edge case phenomenas that break with that reality. Why not instead place illusion as the baseline reality and treat consensus reality as an edge case?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Inliytened1 but will Adeptus 'REALLY' do anything to confirm his own biases, or does it just seem that way?   Who is it that will be stuck in materialism?  Some 'material' organism named Adeptus or not? 

Edited by Mason Riggle

2 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

@Inliytened1 but will Adeptus 'REALLY' do anything to confirm his own biases, or does it just seem that way?   Who is it that will be stuck in materialism?  Some 'material' organism named Adeptus or not? 

Exactly :)

But see if he gets that hehe.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 doesn't it seem a little 'pot calling the kettle black' to say 'so an so will be stuck in materialism'?  Who are you talking about, if not some 'material organism who will be stuck in materialism'.. 

My point is, if you think someone is stuck in materialism, then you are also stuck in materialism, because you think there is a 'material someone' who is 'stuck in materialism'. 

9 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Exactly :)

But see if he gets that hehe.

I think Mason may have been poking a little fun at you, and the fact that your criticism of Adeptus appears to treat him as a real thing.

@kinesin yes.. and now we'll have the conversation about what 'materialism' is vs. what 'realism' is. 

10 minutes ago, Mason Riggle said:

My point is, if you think someone is stuck in materialism, then you are also stuck in materialism, because you think there is a 'material someone' who is 'stuck in materialism'. 

Duality and form isn't inherently materialistic. You can have an immaterial dream of forms.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard is 'seeming real' (immaterial dream of forms) different from being real (material)?   If so, how? 

"There is no doubt whatsoever that the universe is the merest illusion." -- Ramana Maharshi

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

"There is no doubt whatsoever that universe is the merest illusion." -- Ramana Maharshi

"There is no doubt whatsoever (ok, maybe a little) that illusion is the closest thing to reality we have." - Grand Enlightened Master Kinesin

I'm curious Leo, when you're asleep and dreaming, do you spend your dream time trying to convince the dream characters that they aren't real, or are you generally too busy flying around on a unicorn?

"There is no doubt whatsoever that the universe is the merest illusion." - said the illusion to itself, confidently. 

@kinesin You are dreaming that I dream.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.