Natasha

Deconstruction

51 posts in this topic

Let's talk about deconstructing reality/the mind and what role it plays in the awakening process.

Maybe start by throwing away the belief/idea that the mind is the reality.
Of course, this is dependent on what ones definition of, or, in what way the term mind is being used. "Mind" as being synonymous with Consciousness, or mind as being synonymous with thoughts, constructs, ideas, opinions, judgements, memory etc.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

Well, ?

Deconstruction implies something was constructed.

Nothing was ever constructed, it was an illusion meaning it seemed to be real but ultimately was not.

Disassemble, deconstruction, collapse, die before you die, transcend, ego death, disillusionment... these words are mere pointers within the dualistic dream story of individuality in which an illusory character seems to fall away. But there was never a character from the beginning, again it was just an illusion.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I haven't been too spiritual recently. But I recently realised that I don't even know what a "mind" is or what a "thought" is. Very simple observations or questions like this, how haven't I see them my entire life? 

If my chakras ever start buzzing or mystical experience happens I'll have more to say. Wait, that doesn't sound right... 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

So the awakening process, as it were, begins either by an innate and innocent natural curiosity,
there is suffering and one seeks a way out of it.
One has had a profound experience of something more "real" and substantial beyond what is normally taken or perceived to be true and/or "reality".
Or, by the knowledge/word of those who have awakened to something more true and substantial and are open to it as a possibility over what has unquestionably, and unknowingly, taken to be true (by socially accepted standards  xD.)

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

It's not a process. It's a flash of death which can't be remembered or forgotten. There isn't anyone anywhere and there never has been. There's just nothing, which is everything.

If I answered that would be a construct.

5 minutes ago, cetus said:

If I answered that would be a construct.

Is that your final answer? xD

Haphazard obsessive all-day automatic contemplation + sheer dumb luck

^^

The "answer"

It isn't something that really happens though -- that's what deconstruction "reveals." Problem is...there's no one left to know anything about it! You are left clueless at best. That "you are" just simply turns out to be false -- what can anyone do with that? Beautifully unceremonious. As words are spoken they're heard -- you can no longer speak.

Edited by The0Self

Self-inquiry in essence is a deconstruction of the idea that there is 'someone'. Illusion fighting illusion, @VeganAwake

There's no God, but all there is, is God. There's no me, no you, no computer, no Earth, no actualized.org, no Leo, no universe, no space, no time, no Awareness (or all there is, is Awareness), no Liberation (or all there is, is Liberation), certainly no time, no future, no past, no present moment... Just nothing being everything. And apparently an illusion of knowing making sense of the unknowable...unsuccessfully.

Knowing everything is knowing nothing. Doesn't matter what route you take, as there's no route. You do not want deconstruction, but if you can't stand not to do it, well...

This is an organic authentic innocent play, with no one doing it; there's no life, only wholeness.

Edited by The0Self

Deconstruction must itself be deconstructed. The idea that deconstruction must be deconstructed must also be deconstructed. The idea that decon..... you get the point lol.

5 minutes ago, Zeldor said:

Deconstruction must itself be deconstructed. The idea that deconstruction must be deconstructed must also be deconstructed. The idea that decon..... you get the point lol.

There's no need for that level of complication.

1. Deconstruct.

2. Deconstruct the deconstructor.

That's it. Further complication is just that.

For instance:

1. Turn away from experience by turning toward the knower of whatever arises until nothing arises, and then turn towards the one who knows nothing arises.

2. Turn away from the experience of doing step 1. Or stop "doing nothing."

Not prescriptive. Feel free to not do that.

Edited by The0Self

2 hours ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Is that your final answer? xD

Now that you've pressed me I'd have to say the ego- mind is like a moth that is drawn to the flame. Enlightenment works in the most unexpected ways.

Tools for deconstruction:

Journaling (Getting it down on paper makes the construct easier to spot)

Spiritual Autolysis (same principle as journaling)

Self Inquiry (Deconstructing the constructor)

Labeling practice (naming what is thought and what is feeling as the experience is happening)

Does anyone have more tools to add?

"Shikantaza fosho. Literally just jump straight to the end of the deconstructive path lol." @Consilience

Edited by WelcometoReality
Added

Great stuff above.

What I find interesting is that deconstruction happens at so many levels, insanely subtle levels. The more one can deconstruct hidden mind patterns, attachments, distortions, the more one can see clearly into the nature of both the relative and absolute.

I remember reading about the “uncognized mind” in Peter Ralston’s The Book of Not Knowing and having no idea what the dude was talking about. Well as it turns out, this uncognized mind is a web of supra-subtle beliefs, attachments, thoughts, views, orientations about reality, that are so subtle our default state of mind is incapable of seeing them clearly. As one cultivates a powerful mind through spiritual practice, one starts to bring more and more consciousness these unconscious cognitions - this awakening into relative and absolute domains of mind is deconstructive by default. When these are clearly seen, their relativity and “arbitrariality” is seen as well. 

Eventually, this place of total deconstruction is the only fertile ground for authentic construction of self is possible. Thus, if one’s goal is to self actualize, a process of powerful construction, the only way to fully embody this would be through a total deconstruction. And even then it may not be enough. The habits of mind are one of the most powerful forces in nature. These habits ARE literally life! 

3 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

Tools for deconstruction:

Journaling (Getting it down on paper makes the construct easier to spot)

Spiritual Autolysis (same principle as journaling)

Self Inquiry (Deconstructing the constructor)

Labeling practice (naming what is thought and what is feeling as the experience is happening)

Does anyone have more tools to add?

Shikantaza fosho. Literally just jump straight to the end of the deconstructive path lol.

3 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Shikantaza fosho. Literally just jump straight to the end of the deconstructive path lol.

Or as wise Yoda once said, "You must unlearn what you have learned" :D

2 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Or as wise Yoda once said, "You must unlearn what you have learned" :D

There's a good story about Sri Nisargadatta that when a spiritual seeker would come to him seeking his advise he would first ask them "What is your most deepest insight so far?" And the seeker would give a long answer that they held as truth. And Nisargadatta would just wait till they were finished and no matter what answer they gave he would always reply with "No, that's not it"