Dlavjr

Are multivitamins worth it?

13 posts in this topic

I'd like to take supplements but I just can't afford to buy individual vitamins and minerals once a month. Is it worth taking multivitamins or is the quality too low to bother? 

If you are healthy and on a low budget, just skip it.

Buy some cheap vitamin D.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Sometimes it can help but I wouldn't take it indefinitely. If you are going for it, buy a good quality one, made of wholefood ingredients otherwise the absorption is <10% and you're buying expensive pee. Not to mention cheap multivitamins come packed in a lot of garbage that you don't need in the body. 

But in the long run, all your micros should come from diet. Vitamin D is the only one that can be difficult to get enough of but if you get enough sunshine you may not need that one either 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

What would be the benefit of supplementing vitamin D over anything else? I probably should take it as I don't particularly get much sun exposure where I live or with my lifestyle. I also fast most of the day, generally I only eat one or two meals a day so I fear being vitamin deficient, especially with having gut issues. 

Vitamin D deficiency is the most common supplement/vitamin deficiency people have.

Vitamin D is also one of the most important vitamins for overall health and immune function.

You'd be a fool not to test for it and take it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

21 minutes ago, Dlavjr said:

What would be the benefit of supplementing vitamin D over anything else?

As Leo said, over 50% of global population are deficient, some critically. Ever saw those kids with crooked legs, that's what deficiency does to you. Deficiency can harm your gut, your teeth, your bones, your thyroid and even accelerate autoimmunity. It can even accelerate massive depression. Vitamin D is no fun to play around with. Get it tested and if your levels are below 55-60 ng/mL start to supplement until you get to 90-95. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have heard some claim that it is possible to get all the vitamins needed through diet and use of multivitamins can result in an excess: more vitamins then the body needs or can absorb and so turn toxic in the kidneys - the function of the kidneys being to remove toxins from the blood, thus the kidneys become overworked and in time will fail.

Edited by Jake Johnson
Typo

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Vitamin D deficiency is the most common supplement/vitamin deficiency people have.

Vitamin D is also one of the most important vitamins for overall health and immune function.

You'd be a fool not to test for it and take it.

What kind of tests should i say to the doctor? Can i have the lists?  I am planning to take your advice to have check ups

@John Iverson It would be pretty tough to get most doctors to panel for much more than vitamin D. At least here in the US. Unless there is some other condition or concern.  

I would mention that you eat a special diet and would like to make sure all of your bases are covered. If you wanted a full test it would be pretty expensive. I have seen some where you can get a few specific ones for $100-$200 in the US. It depends what you are looking for though. 

If you had a specific condition like ADHD for example, then I have seen stuff suggesting to check zinc, magnesium, lithium, and copper toxicity/deficiency for example. So if you had something you wanted to check into specifically, then I would see what particular ones you should look for. Otherwise I would just get a regular blood test if you are healthy and have a good diet. 

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you are healthy and on a low budget, just skip it.

Buy some cheap vitamin D.

I have a multivitamin with 150% d vitamin of what you need daily but theres also alot of other stuff in there, is it not better to get all those extras then?

Taking any supplement = admitting your diet is deficient. Regular supplements use synthetic forms of nutrients (which are not nutrients at all), and "natural" supplements usually solve food leftovers in kerosene or kerosene-derivatives that leach into the pill. Multivitamins are especially bad for this cause, and you mostly just stress your kidneys and piss it out as the body was not made to absorb nutrients in the form of condensed pills.

@Dlavjr

I’ll echo what @Michael569 said. Best place for your vitamins is from your diet. I’d look there first. Sunshine too as others have said for vitamin D.

Bloodwork is easy enough to get as well. That can give you a clue of what you may need.

I am trying to find an all around mix of multi-vitamins that are right for me. The thing is though I'm not sure I can trust many fo the brands that produce this stuff. I think you gotta do your research on the brand to make sure you are actually getting what it says you are getting and more importantly if taking the dosage they give you in pill form actually treats you. I remember reading something that some vitamins aren't even ingested properly in these stamped pills. 

anyone have any websites and resources on finding the right daily mix and trusted brand of multi-vitamin?