JJfromSwitzerland

Is gender a social construct?

69 posts in this topic

First off all: Please don't start to make a debate about female or male nature!

It's just a little confusing to me so that's why I ask the question:

There are females and males - biologically you can tell the differences: females are smaller on average and have breasts and males have mor muscles
and so on in general, this everybody can tell.

So if the rest, let's call it "software" is only a social construct and genders don't exist except from the body differences, why do the dating
rules apply and work?

So is gender just a social construct or are you born as male or female and also your so called "software" is this gender, what
do you think?

@Peter Miklis yes, your answer makes absolutely sense to me.

I just think about the feminists who want to make everything equal so that no gender exist anymore - so they are misleaded ->from the ego persprective

I would say it's more nature than nurture, simply because if you look at animals they still have certain dynamics between the genders. Although they may differ from ours they have very clearly defined male and female roles. Quick example would be a gorilla where the male is 50% bigger than female, this is said to be because of their social structure in which there tends to be one alpha male and he has to fight off other males to be the one to reproduce with all the females, so therefore it's the one who's the biggest and strongest that reproduces. 

All primates including us, have size differences between male and females because of reason along these lines. So it's not really a social construct its something that has worked and been part of our evolution forever. In fact it's worked so well that, we apparently don't need it anymore for survival. So when feminists say they want to tear it down what they miss is that they're only able to consider tearing it down because it worked and gave them that freedom. What they're doing is throwing the baby out with the bath water, because there are aspects that we can improve of course, but there were also aspects that were essential for us, such as looking after a kid with both positive masculine and feminine influence. 

@Consept

4 minutes ago, Consept said:

In fact it's worked so well that, we apparently don't need it anymore for survival.

That's an eye opening statement, that's why nowadays there is a huge agenda behind LGQTB and they are getting bigger and bigger and pushed by the media

It's way more twisted than you imagine.

Human is a social construct.

Being alive is a social construct.

And even social construct is a social construct :D

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, JJfromSwitzerland said:

@Consept

That's an eye opening statement, that's why nowadays there is a huge agenda behind LGQTB and they are getting bigger and bigger and pushed by the media

we are old as history, there is no gay agenda, it's more simple then that, the humanity became more tolerant towards seeing two dudes/girls kissing, that's it. 

What about the animal kingdom? There is male-female understanding with animals that don't understand concepts. 

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust

Gender is not a social construct. Finish. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

32 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

There is male-female understanding with animals that don't understand concepts. 

Is there?

That's your projection. Animals do not understand such things.

Acting out in ways YOU have classified as male-female does not make an animal male or female.

As always, YOU are the one drawing these definitions as part of how you construct your reality.

YOU do it, but then deny you did it so that it can feel more real for you.

There's not even such a fucking thing as an "animal". You invented "animal" in order to make yourself feel "human".

You invented the line between you and an animal, you and a male/female, you and everything else. You and your lines are bullshit. When you gotta realize that? ;)

Go look at a dick or vagina on your phone. Then realize that is your dick and your vagina equally. Both are literally yours. You are the one who imagines that a dick on your phone is not you. And this imagination is the ego.

You see? Somewhere in your early childhood you bought into the silly idea that a dick must be attached to your body in order for it to be yours. You never questioned how absurd that idea was. You just accepted it like a gullible fool. It never occurred to you that every dick on the planet is yours.

25 minutes ago, Peter Miklis said:

@Leo Gura By me seeing your post, I am talking to myself, therefore writing this post, which means you are speaking to yourself?

Obviously ;)

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Is there?

Acting out in ways YOU have classified as male-female does not make an animal male or female.

As always, YOU are the one drawing these definitions as part of how you construct your reality.

There's not even such a fucking thing as an "animal". You invented "animal" in order to make yourself feel "human".

This is not reality. Reality is that gender is not a social construct. Animals are different from humans. 

Reality is as reality is. You can't bend it. 

6 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

This is not reality. Reality is that gender is not a social construct. Animals are different from humans. 

Reality is as reality is. You can't bend it. 

Ahahahaha...

How cute

But how about you point to the line between you and my dick. I dare you.

My dick is literally made out of your mind.

My dick has always been inside your mind.

Ta-da! :D

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Is there?

You invented the line between you and an animal, you and a male/female, you and everything else. You and your lines are bullshit. When you gotta realize that? ;)

Go look at a dick or vagina on your phone. Then realize that is your dick and your vagina equally. Both are literally yours. You are the one who imagines that a dick on your phone is not you. And this imagination is the ego.

You see? Somewhere in your early childhood you bought into the silly idea that a dick must be attached to your body in order for it to be yours. You never questioned how absurd that idea was. You just accepted it like a gullible fool. It never occurred to you that every dick on the planet is yours.

Obviously ;)

You need male and a female to produce offspring. 

Being able to produce offspring is proof that there are genders, no? Just look at the parents and identify the male and female. 

If genders don't exist than two males could produce a baby. 

In Tate we trust

45 minutes ago, StarStruck said:

You need male and a female to produce offspring. 

That begs the question since you project those categories.

The question is prior to the categories. You can't ask the question and then assume the categories are true. The question is asking you to consider whether the categories are mind-constructed. You are not doing that. You're just assuming they are not.

Being able to produce offspring is proof that there are genders, no?

No

Again, you are begging the question.

If gender is a social construct, then gender is not needed to produce offspring.

"Leo" is my socially constructed name. If Leo is erased, that does not mean I cannot produce offspring.

Just look at the parents and identify the male and female. 

Again, begging the question.

By "identify" what you really mean is "invent" or "project".

Even "parent" is an invention. You could look at the situation and conclude that the Earth is the parent.

If genders don't exist than two males could produce a baby. 

Begging the question.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That begs the question since you project those categories.

The question is prior to the categories. You can't ask the question and then assume the categories are true. The question is asking you to consider whether the categories are mind-constructed. You are not doing that. You're just assuming they are not.

No

Again, you are begging the question.

If gender is a social construct, then gender is not needed to produce offspring.

"Leo" is my socially constructed name. If Leo is erased, that does not mean I cannot produce offspring.

Again, begging the question.

By "identify" what you really mean is "invent" or "project".

Even "parent" is an invention. You could look at the situation and conclude that the Earth is the parent.

Begging the question.

Hmm. 

Then assumption won't hurt. 

If I assume for a minute, that it's simply a social construct, what do we get here, how do we get a child through fertilization and how do we see two sets of chromosomes? How do we account for the chromosomal difference? How do we account for the sperm and the egg? How do we account for your dick and my vagina? of course there are differences because the egg and the sperm are coming from two different sources and so are the chromosomes. 

@JJfromSwitzerland

3 hours ago, JJfromSwitzerland said:

@Consept

Not true. We just want to live openly as you, straight people. Straight agenda is a problem.

27 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

...how do we get a child through fertilization and how do we see two sets of chromosomes? How do we account for the chromosomal difference? How do we account for the sperm and the egg? How do we account for your dick and my vagina? of course there are differences because the egg and the sperm are coming from two different sources and so are the chromosomes.

All of that could be the case, and none of that equals gender.

As I told you earlier but you refused to consider for even a minute: "your dick and my vagina" is a set of distinctions you invented. My dick is as much yours as your vagina. There is no line between them. You just choose to imagine that line.

You -- Preety -- have 3.5 billion dicks that you have disowned so that you could call yourself a woman.

How many dicks do you think God has? And who do you think you are?

@Leo Gura explain me why there is an XX chromosome and an XY chromosome?

How are they imaginary? And are they not real?

13 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Leo Gura explain me why there is an XX chromosome and an XY chromosome?

How are they imaginary? And are they not real?

You are imagining them right now. Take a look.

Your entire life chromosomes have existed in your mind.

Some fool told you chromosomes exist, and you believed him and imprinted that idea in your mind without any second thought.

You have never seen a chromosome. It's an idea you hold. If you are not experiencing it, then it must be an idea.

Looking into microscopes is also an idea you hold.

Sitting on a planet is also an idea you hold.

"But Leo! In school I looked in a real microscope! So what about that?"

Going to school is also an idea you hold.

"No Leo, I really went to school! That's not an idea!"

That's an idea you hold.

How deep do you dare to go?

How much of your life is ideas? ;)

Everything is a CONSCIOUSNESS Construct.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.