fopylo

My peers aren't even doing consciousness work and their life seems better

68 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura But you yourself said that building the foundation is key, and from which I can master the basic skills. For example in your videos "How to deal with loneliness" and "How to accept yourself" you talk about how being mindful and basking in your own Being can really help you with your self help.
My strategy is to practice mindfulness and self acceptance to the point where I can move, use my sense without so much resistance, and think clearly like a normal fricking human being. I want to build some flow and love within me so that I can function properly to pursue some general self help (not so much as to pursue enlightenment, but just a little bit so that I can function and move with more ease).
Some people here are talking about Maslow's hierarchy and that pursuing the lower needs will give me the momentum and energy to that will help me a lot to pursue self actualization. However, I feel like even at the lower tiers you need to incorporate some spirituality, such as self acceptance and mindfulness like I mentioned before.
So once I get this down my plan is to move to start investing in mutual funds through the bank (this is my beginning journey of investing, and while it won't permanently make me financially independent, it could be a start and I won't need to be concerned about it since I live in my parent's house for now). Once I get a job that makes me stable then I can start investing more into stocks, but there's still time for it. So in the time being I'll put my effort in the tier of love and belonging (friendship, family, intimate relationships and dating), while at the same time practicing self acceptance and mindfulness.
I would like to know what you think about this short term strategy

6 minutes ago, fopylo said:

@Leo Gura But you yourself said that building the foundation is key, and from which I can master the basic skills. For example in your videos "How to deal with loneliness" and "How to accept yourself" you talk about how being mindful and basking in your own Being can really help you with your self help.
My strategy is to practice mindfulness and self acceptance to the point where I can move, use my sense without so much resistance, and think clearly like a normal fricking human being. I want to build some flow and love within me so that I can function properly to pursue some general self help (not so much as to pursue enlightenment, but just a little bit so that I can function and move with more ease).
Some people here are talking about Maslow's hierarchy and that pursuing the lower needs will give me the momentum and energy to that will help me a lot to pursue self actualization. However, I feel like even at the lower tiers you need to incorporate some spirituality, such as self acceptance and mindfulness like I mentioned before.
So once I get this down my plan is to move to start investing in mutual funds through the bank (this is my beginning journey of investing, and while it won't permanently make me financially independent, it could be a start and I won't need to be concerned about it since I live in my parent's house for now). Once I get a job that makes me stable then I can start investing more into stocks, but there's still time for it. So in the time being I'll put my effort in the tier of love and belonging (friendship, family, intimate relationships and dating), while at the same time practicing self acceptance and mindfulness.
I would like to know what you think about this short term strategy

I'd do 1 hr concentration practice every morning, while listening to Leo's videos (trains peripheral awareness and one pointedness at the same time, while saving time so you don't have to watch the videos later during the day). 

After the concentration session listen to affirmations (they're more effective when done after a concentration session). 

And then focus ONLY on material stuff the rest of the day.

@Michal__ hmm.. don't know if I'd necessarily go with the concentration and affirmation practices, but I'll try at the time that I'm not doing awareness practice to focus on material stuff. I just don't have exactly a road map and don't know myself too well

1 hour ago, fopylo said:

@SamC

I am kind of dismissing them, because I have the idea about them that they won't have the impact that I'm looking for on my life.

The last thing I'll say is this. They of course won't but the question is, do you honestly feel like they won't fulfill you?

To me, it sounds like you're trying to get self-acceptance and consciousness so that you then can pursue the outside world with love + at the same feel love and peace... Almost like, " imma fix me first, and then I can function normally and be enough"... 

Which reminds me of myself lmao.

You know best what's best for you, but be careful. Leo has many times in his videos mentioned that it is important to get your lower needs in check before going all buddha style because even though you know they won't fulfill you, you will deeply crave them.

You can´t become conscious and loving if what you´re pursuing is based on avoiding what you fear ( not being good enough/ not accepting yourself". Notice how trying to get somewhere else and becoming conscious in itself is a crutch and based on the idea that you´re fucked up...

which is not love, but fear

GL my man

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

41 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

So then why isn't it preferable to be a moron?

Because it is short-term. Playing the ego game will make you happier in the short term while playing the consciousness game will make you happy in the long term +the happiness that is created will be grounded in something sustainable.

Edited by SamC

Hey man - the best advice I apply every day comes from Jesus

''Blessed are the poor in spirit for their's is the kingdom of heaven''

Let go, let go, let go of every thought you ever have and step into the present. From there reality will unfold. 

@Nahm Please. I don't know what you mean by trolling but I can tell you I certainly didn't come here to troll. A usage of a different word other than "trolling" will better clarify what you mean.

@SamC

1 hour ago, SamC said:

You can´t become conscious and loving if what you´re pursuing is based on avoiding what you fear ( not being good enough/ not accepting yourself". Notice how trying to get somewhere else and becoming conscious in itself is a crutch and based on the idea that you´re fucked up...

I mean, I am practicing self acceptance in order to unfuck myself. I do have a desire to raise my awareness.

18 hours ago, fopylo said:

It also seems like many of the normal people I see aren't as much in their heads when engaging in a conversation or a different experience. It's as if they have practiced mindfulness meditation or something, but something just feels wrong...

You were born with an inquisitive mind that needs meaning and purpose, so you have to learn how to deal with that. Some people just have less going on up there so they don't seem as affected by it. But you'll also notice how easily riled up they can get over nothing in particular. There are pros and cons of being a meathead.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 minutes ago, fopylo said:

@SamC

I mean, I am practicing self acceptance in order to unfuck myself. I do have a desire to raise my awareness.

yeah, and why is it bad to be fucked? what will it mean if you wouldn´t unfuck yourself?  

@SamC It's bad to be fucked because I suffer from it. Raising my awareness helps me dissolve my neurosis - which then helps me to pursue practical success not out of a place of neurosis. I think this is what I was trying to get to with my words. I know that practical success won't cure my neurosis, and in fact, it will be hard for me to pursue success when I have all this neurosis going on

36 minutes ago, fopylo said:

@SamC It's bad to be fucked because I suffer from it. Raising my awareness helps me dissolve my neurosis - which then helps me to pursue practical success not out of a place of neurosis. I think this is what I was trying to get to with my words. I know that practical success won't cure my neurosis, and in fact, it will be hard for me to pursue success when I have all this neurosis going on

Yeah (:

@fopylo You´re scared of not being enough and therefore try to fix yourself. Do you notice however that you´re trying to avoid fear by raising your conciousness? I used the exact same tactic man...

I tried to cure my low self-esteem by meditating every single day ( forcing myself to do it). It became like an OCD where I had to do it in order to be enough and cure myself and where I had to become more conscious to solve my neurosis. But, the fact of the matter is this...

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU and the " needing to" mediate and raise your consciousness feeds into this negative feedback loop.

Look at this feedback loop model and you will see.

" I am not good enough " ------ " I need to change myself in order to be enough -------- I should meditate to change myself --------- If I don´t do this I will not be enough and then I will be unlovable, worthless or whatever"

This is what you´re doing. You think you´re solving your neurosis but you´re not. You are MAINTING IT, instead of solving it because you´re acting in accordance with it.

That said, you shouldn´t stop meditating because of fear of being driven by fear, because that will also feed into the dynamic of you not being good enough. Instead - meditate and do it and everything else in life because you love it and because it feels awesome and because you want to.

Discover what you want and then go after it, if that is getting girls, consciousness, success, money, or whatever pursue it. Let your inner compass be what makes you feel good, not the fear of not being good enough.

Edited by SamC

7 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

You should be paying NO attention to what others around you are up to. Do your own thing, worry about yourself! Like, if you think someone's religion is stupid, WHO CARES? Just do you, worry about your own life!

Then why should he listen to you? xD

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@SamC

29 minutes ago, SamC said:

You´re scared of not being enough and therefore try to fix yourself. Do you notice however that you´re trying to avoid fear by raising your conciousness? I used the exact same tactic man...

Oh damn.. You actually have a point there now that I'm looking closer...
It is true that I might do it to avoid fear... But at the same time, isn't it supposed to help dissolve the fear?
In many of Leo's videos he talks about how raising your consciousness can literally cure you of all your suffering.

33 minutes ago, SamC said:

If I don´t do this I will not be enough and then I will be unlovable, worthless or whatever"

More like - if I don't do this I won't be able to love myself and to feel whole within myself, which is a foundational position to be in if I want to truly create success.

At the beginning I used to pursue awareness in order to solely peel off the fear and mental blockages. It is still true to some extent but there is also some part in me that got inspires from it because it just feels fricking good and I want to see how far it can take me. But yeah, I need to start somewhere even if it means avoiding fear, don't I?

40 minutes ago, SamC said:

That said, you shouldn´t stop meditating because of fear of being driven by fear

Basically you're saying I was doing ok as I was doing? lmao

14 minutes ago, fopylo said:

@SamC

Oh damn.. You actually have a point there now that I'm looking closer...
It is true that I might do it to avoid fear... But at the same time, isn't it supposed to help dissolve the fear?
In many of Leo's videos he talks about how raising your consciousness can literally cure you of all your suffering.

More like - if I don't do this I won't be able to love myself and to feel whole within myself, which is a foundational position to be in if I want to truly create success.

(:

At the beginning I used to pursue awareness in order to solely peel off the fear and mental blockages. It is still true to some extent but there is also some part in me that got inspires from it because it just feels fricking good and I want to see how far it can take me. But yeah, I need to start somewhere even if it means avoiding fear, don't I?

Basically you're saying I was doing ok as I was doing? lmao

You are right! (:

You being aware of it is enough. Be aware of what you're doing, feel into it - do what makes you feel good and notice why you´re doing it and then take action in accordance to eat.  Also, consider do try to not meditate sometimes if you notice that you´re super afraid of not meditating. 

I know I know, it´s very contradicting, but the reason why is because it is super context-sensitive. it´s a paradox. Leo is right.. I mean how do you think I realized this?? by consciousness and awareness of course but which then, funnily enough, made me realize that my approach of forcing it didn´t work. That´s why you should continue meditating lmao, but at the same try to find out ways so that you can break this cycle.

one way is being " AWARE OF THIS DYNAMIC"... Conciousness is currative and the foundation ect ((: ( See what I did there Lmao)

Edited by SamC

@fopylo Imagine a character in a movie. It's very straightforward for the character to simply pursue self-gratification without any type of introspection or contemplation. Simply try to get laid, party, seek money, get pissed off at people that treat me bad and on an on.

This would be like living like an animal that is unconsciously acting out fears and desires. In a way, it does have a form of flow. Look at a stray dogs - they simply act out fears and desires, they have a form of flow of just being. Yet they lack deeper awareness and understanding. For some people, this deeper understanding / awareness can resolve a lot of life difficulties and stimulate a new level of freedom and meaning in life.

Yet it doesn't come easy. Humans have a lot of conditioning. In the movie example, imagine the character is so conditioned to be that character, they never even question anything. It would take effort to be like "Who am I really? Why do I react the way I do? How do inter-personal relations work? How do barriers hold us back from our potential? How is this movie created? How does this all work?". These types of questions might not lead to surface-level pleasure like having a one-night stand or fun getting drunk. They are longer-term ventures with deeper levels of satisfaction. 

Yet I would also say there is something to be said for playing our character in the movie. If the introspective / spiritual work gets overly-serious it can become counter-productive and miserable. For example, if we hyper analyze every single thing that happens in a day.