intotheblack

Why is alcohol legal?

13 posts in this topic

It lowers immunity, is toxic, has terrible long term consequences on the body, lowers consciousness, makes people behave completely different, do things they wouldn’t normally do sober and is addictive in the wrong hands.  A glass of wine here and there is ok if it’s done responsibly, but in general people can’t do that.  Binge drinking is the norm. There is social pressure to drink. 
Is it just that it makes so much money that it is kept legal?  Many people base their entire business on the sale of alcohol.  I know some countries have restricted it like Sweden.  Will we see other countries restrict the sale in the future? Perhaps in the distant future it will be banned all together? 

E2DB00CB-5BF8-408A-98D7-ADB1BDD1783D.jpeg
i don’t know how accurate this is regarding the name. 

Edited by intotheblack

Alcohol is as old as the hills and part of the whole. It has caused problems for many people but let's also honor the benefits it has also given people. It has helped people socialize and even survive in more brutal times such as during war. I don't abide by the demonization of alcohol. It is for the most part a dysfunctional activity but also has served it's purpose. I think it can be used consciously. It has served as a catalyst for people to learn that being unconscious doesn't feel good. Today one can enjoy it occasionally like having a glass of wine or a nice craft beer. It's up to the individual to learn how to use alcohol. 

Helps to unconscious become, free from suffering and desire. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

First thing Youre talking about modern commercial booze made from cheap gmo shvt and pisswater.

Traditional hard liquor has a purpose in culture , same as traditional organic tobacco has. 

The modern versions of that stuff are the devil tho.
--> Why are they legal? Because they make billions of $$

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

I like some natural wine occasionally, and did drink a lot when I was younger, partying etc. 
With the lockdown I have barely drank and don’t miss it at all.  Just thinking about how easily people abuse it and how much damage it can cause in the wrong hands. I suppose as society becomes more conscious as a whole they will drink more responsibly? At the moment it’s a way to help people cope.. 

2 minutes ago, datamonster said:

But that's the point right?

Haha I suppose. 

I actually work at a liquor store now, and even though I can agree that it's extremely damaging to people and many fall victim to severe alcoholism, it's unfortunately extremely important. With so many doing construction, nursing, or any other abysmal yet EXTREMELY necessary wage slave job, it's the only thing some people have to look forward to. 

Besides, like others have mentioned it can be done consciously. There's a huge difference between downing a 12 pack of cheap beer or a bottle of booze, and buying a high class bourbon or wine and enjoying it amongst friends on occasion. It's a great thing that requires a lot of responsibility that some just don't have, but it's one of the most necessary evils imo. It's not going anywhere.

I am totally with you on everything you said OP. That's why I've always rarely drank alcohol. That's also why I a lot wish alcohol was illegal.

Unfortunately, according to US history, prohibiting alcohol doesn't or didn't work in America because there were way too many people who ended up opposing the prohibition law. This is why the same things is happening with the decriminalization of marijuana.

Alcohol is legal because it's convenient to consume and has been ridiculously ingrained in most cultures since it was invented thousands of years ago. Obviously if any law should be changed to improve society it would be stricter alcohol laws but lest we live in backwards world.

I had my fun with it when I was a teenager, I've been full blown drunk maybe 20ish times in my whole life? I can't remember (which is the point xD). I'm glad I grew out of it. It literally tastes like poison to me, I don't know how people enjoy it. Same thing with marijuana which I was way more into when I was younger.

I've basically been substance free for like 10 years. I just love feeling clear minded and sober, it's so much more enjoyable to me.

What's funny is going to parties or social things and people staring or making comments because I'm not participating in any substance use. I can tell they think I'm judging them on the inside and must think I'm better than me but that's not it, I just genuinely don't have any interest or excitement in getting drunk or high. It was fun 10 years ago, not anymore.

I definitely have plans to do psychedelics in the future but not for fun they would be strictly for personal and universal exploration.

hrhrhtewgfegege

I also wondered this. Alcohol has been a part of most cultures for millennia. Restricting it was not really on anyones mind before. Only when it started to mass produce in our modern age then it probably became a "problem" but it was to late to illegalize it as whole nations where already hooked on it. Some countries tried to reduce it's consumption by applying restrictions like soviet russia but failed in the end. Alcohol will be with us for along time onward.

Because were at stage of human development that is devoid of "spirit", get it? So we need to fill ourselves up with spirits to feel good and free ourselves from the monkey mind. 

You have to have compassion for people who work shitty 9-5 jobs, dont have time to meditate and want to get a quick sense of relaxation. Besides we tried prohibition and it failed miserably! 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

People like getting drunk= people don't want it to be banned= it will never get banned.

Another thing to add, is that social anxiety, for some, are so severe that alcohol is the only way to lose inhibition, the very inhibition that factors into the anxiety some feel, from dating to being social. Also, combined with other substances and rituals, can make magic stuff happen.