Neorez

Jordan Peterson seems to be turning to Christianity

49 posts in this topic

At around 22min in, Jordan starts crying when he's talking about Jesus. It seems he has had some mystical experiences while being sick but it seems it completely tore him apart. I've seen a lot of Christian channels talking about it the past few days. The guy he's talking to is a Christain and has a high level of development which is nice to see for a change. What are your thoughts on this? 

"Turning..." Lol. Water is wet.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

3 minutes ago, Neorez said:

@Rilles I don't know, was he Christian before? 

"In a 2017 interview, Peterson was asked if he was a Christian; he responded, "I suppose the most straight-forward answer to that is yes." When asked if he believes in God, Petersonresponded: "I think the proper response to that is No, but I'm afraid He might exist."

"He says as a Westerner he is "conditioned in every cell" by the Judeo-Christian worldview and tries to live his life as though God exists: "That's the fundamental hallmark of belief."

You tell me. Cant say Im surprised. 

Have you not heard about his biblical lectures?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Of course the objective world and narrative world touch. What's he's missing is that reality is imaginary. Which is why they touch. The objective world is a dream. So is Christ. And JP is God.

He's circling around the answer but will never put his finger on it because he's attached to science, objectivity, morality, meaning, realism, and Christianity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

JP is such a moralist that he will inevitably become more BLUE rather than going towards YELLOW. He is really dying to make sense of the world and it seems in Christianity he finds his sense-making. You can hear that desperation in his voice. 

Edited by Rilles

@Leo Gura It seems he's turning around(spirally wise) instead of moving forward. The other guy seemed more developed and mature than JP. The other one talks about deification and being godlike. Jordan on the other hand seems completely crushed. I wonder what happened to him that collapsed his view of the objective and narrative world.

27 minutes ago, Neorez said:

I wonder what happened to him that collapsed his view of the objective and narrative world.

IMO that has been his shtick since he wrote Maps of Meaning (he had a couple of mystical experiences back then aswell). In one interview, he expressed an affinity for William James' pragmatic theory of truth ("it's true if it's useful"), which is how he tries to reconcile his scientific side with his mythological side. You see him skirting around the same territory in his debates with Sam Harris. Even if he didn't make any definitive statements until now, this has been brewing for quite a while.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

15 minutes ago, Neorez said:

Jordan on the other hand seems completely crushed. I wonder what happened to him that collapsed his view of the objective and narrative world.

I think that his falling ill because of benzo withdrawal might have shattered his trust in his own mind and body. I've been in a place similar to that, where one's mind doesn't work well and body is also in deep state of suffering. It can make you feel quite insane and it is difficult to ground oneself to anything, let alone to being if one has not had experience of being or consciousness. I think JP's left traumatized by that event and that trauma radiates as a fear of fear and he's trying to ground himself to morals, ethics and other constructs of his mind.

His confused. He keeps trying to crack the nut of God, but he cannot because of his attachments and paradigm. He's not willing to decostruct everything. He wants God yet he wants to maintain the civilizational traditions more.

He's not appreciating how deep this goes and how radical God is.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

His confused. He keeps trying to crack the nut of God, but he cannot because of his attachments and paradigm. He's not willing to decostruct everything. He wants God yet he wants to maintain the civilizational traditions more.

After reading his latest book, I saw his attachments.

His highest attachment is to his wife. She is the His embodiment of Love. The reason he got sick is because his wife got sick. JP couldn't live with himself without her.

Of course, JP still has attachments to success and intellect but I feel these have subsided a little. 

I'd bet he's even more attached to his worldview than his wife.

4 hours ago, Rilles said:

When asked if he believes in God, Petersonresponded: "I think the proper response to that is No, but I'm afraid He might exist."

I can definitely relate to this. For many years I would say that obviously God wasn't real and that religions were BS, yet I nonetheless was still terrified of the possibility that I was wrong and would go to hell or whatever. To nobodies surprise that contradictory mindset made me absolutely miserable! 

He might exist, Lol.

He is YOU! For fuck's sake.

2 minutes ago, eggopm3 said:

I can definitely relate to this. For many years I would say that obviously God wasn't real and that religions were BS, yet I nonetheless was still terrified of the possibility that I was wrong and would go to hell or whatever. To nobodies surprise that contradictory mindset made me absolutely miserable! 

Then deconstruct it... For example... Would you want to go heaven if you knew 90% of humanity was suffering for eternity? Do you want to hang out with that kind of a deity? Do want to you be in heaven for eternity knowing that those people are suffering? And if you do know that how can heaven be pleasurable? If you dont know that then arent you just a robot under control by God? Sorry for the rant. Something I have been pondering for a while is all.

Keep deconstucting and eventually the idea of the Abrahamic God becomes ludicrous. 

@Leo Gura The problem with telling people 'You are God' is that people haven't even defined who 'you' is or who/what 'God' is. 

I am not conscious that I am God so I am not in a position to say that I am God.

Would a rock also be God? Am I more 'God' than a rock? 

If everything is God, you can filter God out, and what is left is what people can only see.

31 minutes ago, SS10 said:

If everything is God, you can filter God out, and what is left is what people can only see.

Not quite.

It's Love.

If you are low in the dominance hierarchy of competence then y'all are doomed. Then you can't be the eye of the pyramid and move across to other pyramids. I do not know what this has to do with BEING but he seems loudly serious about it so i believe him.

Edited by GreenLight
Lol just kidding

@Neorez Jordan Peterson's case is that of the shoemaker who walks barefoot. 

He preaches and preaches about a goal unknown to him which he himself has not yet achieved. Jordan's word view which he tries to indoctrinate you with makes him out to be the perfect man, in his word view he emphasizes valuing intelligence, facing the unknown, climbing up the dominance hierarchy and more... There is a hidden agenda behind the perspectives he preaches, I'm not even sure he is aware of that agenda. This agenda is a function of pride, self centeredness and self justification.

All be it the man is a human, deserving of care and understanding. Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, Moses, David or any other prophet, they all are real and they can visit you if you imagine them to. They can delight you with wonderful insight and advice, they can warm your heart up with comfort.  Whats wrong in that? Nothing. Sometimes you need a loving voice from a person who understands you, what better way than you to do that to yourself in the form of your prophet? 

Christian or not, believing this world is made with creativity and love in mind is as real a belief as you can hold. 

Edited by Najim