JosephKnecht

Self-Actualization while being Homeless

13 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon a humble homeless guy called Andrew on youtube. 

He lives next to the Beverly Hills Sign.

I could sense that he is struggling to get his headstart in society, so I wish to help him somehow. Maybe as a community, we can help him even more.

I wish to donate a few hundred dollars so that he can move from place A to place B. I was thinking of creating a GoFundMe page for him, but I live in Europe and don't know how to deliver the help to him directly. Maybe one of you lives in California and would be able to find him?

PS. I know he is not telling the truth about his background and not knowing about what Beverly Hills is, but I feel he still deserves a chance. 

He sleeps right there next to that traffic? 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@K Ghoul Jesus Christ man, chill. Giving Joseph shit for trying to help someone, what the hell? Not helpful. You don't have to donate or anything, but don't trash him like that when he's being kind and generous.

On 3/5/2021 at 9:34 PM, K Ghoul said:

@Tim R I’m chill. Nor am I trashing him - he can do whatever he wants etc. I am simply expressing my position, and how I see this situation.

i think that the way you chose to express your thougts is very aggressive.

do you want the other side to listen? if so.. i suggest you try a more loving approach.

@K Ghoul You're entitled to your opinions, but tone down the rhetoric and keep it constructive.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@K Ghoul You are entitled to your opinion. I don't see a problem in helping someone who is clearly asking for some help. 

Deep down, Andrew is not looking for a handout, but a message that someone in the world still cares about him. Why don't we send him such a message? 

People sometimes need just a little encouragement to get on the right track.

11 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

I know where Andrew is because I've been there. And I know that sometimes the things that we want are not necessarily the things that we need. 

Sorry to hear that. I have never been in such a situation myself. 

I guess I lack the awareness of how giving him a chance for a new start in life would be counterproductive. Care to enlighten me? 

By the way, I assume that Andrew is not the typical drug abuser/alcoholic, but genuinely wishes help to reintegrate back into society. Am I too naive?  

@K Ghoul There is a point in what you’re saying..The suffering in my life brought me to where I am. But also I am biased towards wealth because my upbringing allowed me to take some time off and focus on spirituality.

Interesting how sometimes we think we help but maybe we damage the work..

Thanks for your POV.

1 hour ago, K Ghoul said:

I am sorry if me speaking bluntly and without sugar coating anything just to spare a few feelings was not very digestible

Speaking bluntly is welcome, and occurs daily here. As I said, your opinions are welcome. You were not given formal warning points, just a reminder to keep your comments constructive and avoid inflammatory labels like "bullshit" and "disgrace".

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

On 5.3.2021 at 7:08 PM, K Ghoul said:

You could be prohibiting his spiritual growth by not letting him learn to overcome what he’s dealing with in this lifetime in his own way.

Who's to say this is not a part of his path? People get different kinds of help in life: from their parents, from friends, institutions, strangers; from living in a healthy society. This is just one specific type of help. Help is not the opposite of spiritual progress. I for one have probably gotten more help than anyone I know, but there was still suffering, there was still spiritual progress. Wasn't this (too much help) which lead to Buddha's enlightenment anyway?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.