actualized1

Paper Vs Digital Books

23 posts in this topic

hi, I'd like to know how much % better results you get by reading paperbooks.

100% better results. The few digital books I have bought are unread and forgotten.

I avoid staring into screens if I can. It is tiring for my eyes.

I love paper books, especially with hard covers. They don't get deformed after usage.

I have a silly habit every time I buy a paper book; I smell the book and then I fantasize how the book will impact my life and future.

I use 100% audiobooks. They're probably the most important tool I've found in the last 5 years. A paper book might as well be a tranquilizer dart for me lol.

For me, I prefer physical copies of  books even though they are generally more expensive. Reason being is that I do not get distracted by various websites while I read. Also, it is more comfortable for my eyes to look at a book on paper rather than pixels on a screen. But it is individual; some people are into e-books and I understand. They are way more practical so if you are always on the go, they might be more beneficial. 

You should experiment to find your preference.

@Davie

That comment tells me exactly where you are at in your development. Glad you found Leo - his content will serve you well.

And yes, I have heard of kindle books. That is basically all I read now. 

Have a good one ✌️

I actually prefer my Kindle. It's more convenient for absorbing information. Highlighting, access to the internet, dictionary and faster transitions between pages. If you were to go for a phenomenological reading experience, then having a paperback is indeed better, at least it involves more senses. There's nothing better than the  smell of an old book and its rugged pages.

@ChimpBrain My favourite medium for "reading" are audiobooks as well. So enjoyable and amazing. You walk, workout or take public transport while literally transfering knowledge into your head.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

Done both , and physical books are way much better then digital , it feels more real to actually have them in your hands , make A little remark here and there . Plus you will not fall off track 

image.jpg

My current budget does not allow me to buy all the books that I wan't to read, so then ebooks are a great solution. If I really like the ebook, then I will buy a paper copy and reread a couple of times. I think I have read about 100 ebooks in the last two years and bought like 15 paper books.

I'm asking this because Leo said that he tried kindle and that he wasn't getting the results he was expecting and that physical copies of the books is the way to do this. So I'm wondering how much better can it be, because I don't have many books for now and I'd want to know which route to take cause it would make my life so much easier getting them in digital format.

On the internet all I see people say is that it's a matter of preference but if Leo said so...

@actualized1  If it's easier and cheaper to get ebooks, then buy a kindle paperwhite, you can read In the dark, as the light shines at the kindle instead of your eyes. Also, battery life last months. I think Leo was talking about the original kindle, as that has no light. Don't just listen to Leo, or me. Buy a kindle paperwhite to see if it works for you. P.S. I prefer Audiobooks as they are more engaging and they make me concentrate more :)

On 10/11/2016 at 7:29 PM, Davie said:

@actualized1  If it's easier and cheaper to get ebooks, then buy a kindle paperwhite, you can read In the dark, as the light shines at the kindle instead of your eyes. Also, battery life last months. I think Leo was talking about the original kindle, as that has no light. Don't just listen to Leo, or me. Buy a kindle paperwhite to see if it works for you. P.S. I prefer Audiobooks as they are more engaging and they make me concentrate more :)

I like audio books read by the author or someone else who reads it properly, not like a robot. Most audio books I find (on you tube) are read like robots, where do you download yours from?

@100rockets Audible, I own over 70 audiobooks and none of them sound like robots. I think the YouTube ones are from the uploaders themselves, hence why the narraration is poor. But Audible has great narratation, although it's somewhat pricey, if your going to get a lot out of the books, then check out Audible.

30 minutes ago, Davie said:

@100rockets Audible, I own over 70 audiobooks and none of them sound like robots. I think the YouTube ones are from the uploaders themselves, hence why the narraration is poor. But Audible has great narratation, although it's somewhat pricey, if your going to get a lot out of the books, then check out Audible.

Thanks! I will try it

e-book readers like kindle are great! it is really useful. you don't need to carry around your heavy paper book. it's great especially if you travel a lot. my whole library is always with me. the screen isn't like on your laptop. it's more comfortable to my eyes then paper books. I like paper books. they're just not very practical.

I need an answer from someone deeper into personal development and not in terms of price or comfortability but development results.

Does it make any difference in terms of conciousness growth getting the books in paper, digital or audio?

On 26/12/2016 at 1:14 AM, actualized1 said:

I need an answer from someone deeper into personal development and not in terms of price or comfortability but development results.

Does it make any difference in terms of conciousness growth getting the books in paper, digital or audio?

From my experience reading about 1 hour a day for the past 3 years and using 80% kindle and 20% paperback. I came to the following conclusions.

I have a memory that is quite spatial, therefore I tend to retain more content if I read in paperback. Yet I still use kindle. This is mostly due to the above-mentioned comfortability.

The strategy that I developed is to take some time to summarize the key principles, juiciest quotes, various techniques etc on a world document when I am done reading. I found that this thinking back and trying to extract the essence of the book is what made for the best results. Independently of the format I use. 

I know that I did not reinvent the wheel there but following that process, even when reading rapidly will insure that I have understood what I read and insures the best return on investment.

I hope this was of some help. :)

This is a great question. I do not have a hard and fast answer for you, but the key may be in how screens affect brainwave states (gamma, beta, alpha, theta, delta, infra-low). The results you get may be dependent on physiological effects rather than lifestyle preferences.

Do some Google searching about brainwaves and screens. 

PS I prefer paper. Screens bum me out. #science :D

nothing is anything