ucan99

Books to understand consciousness

14 posts in this topic

I am trying to understand what consciousness is, how it can be expanded. Can someone recommend very high quality books about consciousness? High quality videos are also accepted, I already watched leos video about consciousness.

@ucan99 The Book of Not KnowingPursuing Consciousness By Peter Ralston. Also, research Ken Wilber's books and read whatever appeals to you. He is as meta as it gets with regard to books.

Edited by Logan

Best to read the eternal Book of Consciousness itself... it has no letters and no pages, but goddamn is it a great read! ;)

Why so serious?

You will dream those books into being anyways, so it is your own frequency that matters. 

On 2/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, ucan99 said:

I am trying to understand what consciousness is,

Rupert Spira, The Nature Of Consciousness.  

That consciousness could be understood is a dogma btw. It’s a belief. When you believe you’re experiencing someone who understands consciousness, and thus believing you could understand it, you’re just elevating your own cosmic game of hide & seek. 

how it can be expanded.

Ask & It Is Given. 

Also, there’s a great book called Ask & It Is Given by Esthim Hicks you might like. 

Can someone recommend very high quality books about consciousness? High quality videos are also accepted, I already watched leos video about consciousness.

On the ‘making it real’ living it’ aspect, give Abraham Hicks a listen.  On high quality videos, I don’t think there is any better material available than Leo’s catalog. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

No book will ever make you "understand" consciousness.  Books can be useful only to the extent that they may help you to wash yourself of everything you know and all your conditioning.
If you were able to be totally empty at this moment, consciousness would be "known" instantly.

In most cases, books actually pollute your mind with new ideas, beliefs and conditioning. All garbage.

When I look into my cat's eyes, I learn more about consciousness than 1000 books can ever teach me. Consciousness is spontaneously appearing as the cat without any sense of self, filter, or illusion.

Do you want to understand Consciousness, or would your rather realize Consciousness? If the latter, it doesn't get any better than the Bhagavad Gita.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@acidgoofy The translation, and commentary, by Eknarth Easwaran are sublime.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@ucan99 I highly highly recommend Chuang Tzu's parables. I'm reading it in korean and chinese altogether, so I don't know how it will pan out with english though -- if it would be as good as the korean version. 

First of all, Chuang Tzu is an excellent writer, labeled one of the greatest scholars at the time - quoted by Sima Qian, the Herodotus of China. Even though he was worshiped as an intellectual, he had no pride and had even loathed the idea of gaining "knowledge" to become wise. That's why Chuang Tzu HATED Confucian's ideas, an idea that is much dominant in the whole of Asia today, because Confucius believes one cannot be a sage unless one learns and cultivates wisdom. Chuang Tzu very much opposes that idea by saying wisdom cannot be cultivated, but it can only be naturally come into light by letting go of knowledge, beliefs, and attachments. There is no bullshit. There is no woo woo in here. This guy is on to the point. He writes sentences like a hammer waiting to bash your brains out from all those limiting beliefs. 

Reading Chuang Tzu, you can really get to understand where most OSHO's ideas come from, so if you have a lot of interest in OSHO, Chuang Tzu is a must read. 

Edited by charlie cho