cannedsoup

First Mystical Experience? - Understanding Relativism

18 posts in this topic

I watched Leo's video titled "Understanding Relativism" yet I still can't fully grasp this concept. Leo gave the example of how the Earth cannot float because it will fall, but it can't fall because it's falling in all directions. I believe I was conscious of relativism for a couple of minutes because I just sat there astonished, dying of laughter in my chair for 5 minutes or so. Was this a "mystical experience" of some sort? As I went on with the discussion, It felt as if I couldn't understand relativism anymore. Leo mentioned something about the scientist being the world and the world being the scientist, I've been trying to understand these more radical relativistic ideas but it's tough. How can relativism lead to a mystical experience if it's a theory equally as valid as solipsism?

Edited by cannedsoup

16 minutes ago, Vibroverse said:

May FSM bless you. 

lmao, likewise.

Edited by cannedsoup

@cannedsoup

All of life is a mystical experience. What Leo and others refer to as mystical experiences is just altered states of the original mystical state of consciousness, which is called ordinary life.

The laughter was probably due to the no-mind interval, because the mind naturally imposes seriousness.

No-mind experiences can be triggered when the mind is too overwhelmed/overworked/faced with paradoxes/challenged with a new paradigm or understanding.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

14 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@cannedsoup

All of life is a mystical experience. What Leo and others refer to as mystical experiences is just altered states of the original mystical state of consciousness, which is called ordinary life.

The laughter was probably due to the no-mind interval, because the mind naturally imposes seriousness.

No-mind experiences can be triggered when the mind is too overwhelmed/overworked/faced with paradoxes/challenged with a new paradigm or understanding.

ahh, so why does he talk about relativity if it's just imagination and concept? Is there even a point to teaching all of this stuff if reality is this direct experience? 

Thinking deeply about reality can sometimes make the ground open up.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

15 minutes ago, cannedsoup said:

ahh, so why does he talk about relativity if it's just imagination and concept? Is there even a point to teaching all of this stuff if reality is this direct experience? 

There's a difference between the direct experience you're having right now and my direct experience. and that's because you're attached to words and the concepts made out of those words, giving that which is perceived the value of those concepts which don't hold any true meaning at all. Your perception comes prior to your actual senses, that means once you stop limiting yourself and break through all the doors of perception, only then can we stop filling in the blanks and can you experience the wholesome & totality of life. 

Within a certain perception frame all of reality is relative for you, only up until we discover absolute reality, then you'll see life wasn't so relative after all, it's you who made it relative.

Edited by SpiritualAwakening

The Art of Knowing is Knowing the accumulation of knowledge lies within time, the discovery of Wisdom is attained out of the Mind.

~ https://www.instagram.com/spiritualabsolute ~

9 minutes ago, cannedsoup said:

ahh, so why does he talk about relativity if it's just imagination and concept?

@Carl-Richard probably won't like me saying this, but the map is not the territory.

Leo is offering maps for the ones that are looking for maps, because that's his life purpose, and the scenario is win-win. He's living a meaningful & profound life, and people who are looking for answers will find them through his work.

16 minutes ago, cannedsoup said:

Is there even a point to teaching all of this stuff if reality is this direct experience? 

You're asking if there is an obligation for everyone to follow this path. And the answer is of course not, because it's all relative. You can stop following this path if it doesn't resonate with you anymore. There is no objective goal for everyone to achieve. It ultimately comes down to the question: What do I want out of life? Find out your most authentic desires and work on actualizing them, or don't. There's absolutely no obligation for you to be or do anything unless you have the desire to make it happen.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 hour ago, cannedsoup said:

Was this a "mystical experience" of some sort?

What you probably experienced was just a subtle shift in consciousness. This is quite common, sometimes things just 'click' in a new way, or you overcome a subtle barrier in your thinking. It can feel kinda freeing and pleasant. Definitely a great sign for sure, you clearly got something in what Leo was trying to communicate.

However, I probably wouldn't class it as a 'mystical experience'. Although, one could argue that everything is mystical. A true mystical experience is usually very obviously a mystical experience. As in, there isn't any doubt as to what occurred. Otherwise you're getting stuck in concepts and mind games. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

38 minutes ago, cannedsoup said:

What is reality, what is direct experience? How is it, ‘yours’? Is The Big Bang a matter of science, or something your folks did? How did you get here, really? Maybe the so called ‘mundane’, or ‘normal’ reality, is the mystical experience? What is experience anyways, and why is it only, entirely, relative to you? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

3 minutes ago, Nahm said:

What is reality, what is direct experience? Is The Big Bang a matter of science, or something your folks did? How did you get here, really? 

@Nahm Good one. @cannedsoup It's all about the questioning, don't listen to any of us because you don't know if we're talking bs or not. Up to you to find true answers.

The Art of Knowing is Knowing the accumulation of knowledge lies within time, the discovery of Wisdom is attained out of the Mind.

1 hour ago, cannedsoup said:

Was this a "mystical experience" of some sort?

No, a realization, an insight. 

3 minutes ago, Nahm said:

We’re just can openers, and of course, not even. Relatively. Apparently. 

Yup

@cannedsoup I would call an experiece mystical if it reaveals something speacial and deep about reality that I have yet not even considered before and is, in consequence, life transforming.

Do you think this definition applies here? What do you imagine under the words "mystical experiences"? What would you want a mystical experience to be?

I wouldn’t consider that to be a mystical experience under the definition most people use. Like someone else said, you will almost certainly know if you’ve had a mystical experience. 

And to the people saying all of reality is mystical, you are 100% correct, but you are playing a different word game than the OP is when it comes to the term “mystical experience.” 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

@cannedsoup That's not a mystical experience, that's just a moment of clarity or insight.

A mystical experience would have you pee your panties.

Understanding of relativism does not by itself necessarily lead to a mystical experience, although some mystical experiences can reveal the profound relativity of reality.

For example, can you see that the difference between getting a hug or getting kicked in the face is purely relative, purely bias?

In other words, if you were conscious enough, the difference between the two would disappear, since what does God care if it gets hugged or kissed? God is symmetrical in all possible ways.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Understanding of relativism does not by itself necessarily lead to a mystical experience

I figured, thank you.