BlackMaze

Tap water filter good enough for cooking?

70 posts in this topic

I need a cheap water filter for the kitchen tap water. Nothing that requires drilling or anything like that. Do you have any suggestions? I don't need the best quality one. Only something that makes the water ok for cooking. I'm not going to drink the water just cook with it although maybe it's the same thing. 

Oh God. No.. Not at all. Please. 

Just use a water purifier for kitchen. 

No tap water please. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India can you please explain what a water purifier is? I can't give to much money and i rent so i need something cheap and effective. 

@datamonster thank you! I will look it up

@BlackMaze water purifiers have RO or reverse osmosis that takes care of the mineral deposits in water that is caused by your government putting loads of cleaning chemicals into it like fluoride etc. 

So you might want to invest into a water purifier that takes care of it.. It also comes with a UV purifier that kills germs instantly, I mean bacteria and viruses giving you clean fresh water. 

Budget would be around 100 to 200 dollars 

I spent around like $ 500 dollars on my purifier and it does an excellent job  

You can look on Amazon for that. 

Britta is kinda cheap and okayish but I'm not sure if it uses RO. 

But never use tap water. Like never. 

@BlackMaze water purifiers have RO or reverse osmosis that takes care of the mineral deposits in water that is caused by your government putting loads of cleaning chemicals into it like fluoride etc. 

So you might want to invest into a water purifier that takes care of it.. It also comes with a UV purifier that kills germs instantly, I mean bacteria and viruses giving you clean fresh water. 

Budget would be around 100 to 200 dollars 

I spent around like $ 500 dollars on my purifier and it does an excellent job  

You can look on Amazon for that. 

Britta is kinda cheap and okayish but I'm not sure if it uses RO. 

But never use tap water. Like never. 

@Preety_India thank you. I guess i need to make an investment then. 

Too late for not using tap water though.. I already got sick and my sister and i'm very sure that this was one of the main causes

@BlackMaze  oh God. 

Hope things go okay. 

Please don't drink that again. 

@Preety_India thank you yes everything is fine. But the last 2 years were a bit stressful. Yes i need to invest in ro it seems. 

Something like this is a good start. It is not as effective as RO but if you are short on budget, this will do for the largest molecules like copper & lead which are the biggest problems in Europe in terms of contamination. Since we don't use glycophosphates as much, water in Europe is generally cleaner and also fluoride-free. What this won't do is filter microplastics, at least it has not been claimed by the manufacturer but I am not convinced that RO does either. 

Anyway, long message-short. if you are right on budget, start with a filtration jug and make sure to change filters on monthly basis, you can taste the difference. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  to be very honest, I had Brita for a few months, like maybe 2 months, and it wasn't good at all. 

Sometimes I felt like it didn't filter at all.. 

@Preety_India I agree, jugs are not perfect but they are a good transition step when RO or other systemic filtration is not an option. In the ideal world you'd heat up your water with your own solar panels and that water would be filtered in both shower and kitchen but well....

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 thank you but that doesn't seem enough. I consider investing in ro if it's worth it. I have old pipes and i want to know if it's possible to just drink clean water from the tap without worries. Is ro good enough for that? 

I'm also curious about the cost of maintenance if somebody knows. 

Depends on what you're cooking. If it's stuff like soup, definately don't use tap.

But even stuff like boiling rice, pasta, potatos, it's pretty dumb to do that for 20 years using tap. Fixing your health will cost thousands. Good R/O system costs $300. They have countertop R/O systems with no drilling.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, WonderSeeker said:

@Michael569 @Preety_India Do either of you know anything about the quality of PUR filters? I'm not at the stage when I can invest hundreds on something long term yet. Thanks!

The quality is contingent on the price. 

High end Purifiers cost you  starting from  $ 100 to $500.

I never got the $100 ones, maybe I had them as a kid. 

The one that I have now that costs $500 also has UV. 

Been using it for 3 years now, it has a 10 year warranty. 

The quality is excellent of course with that price. 

I never have to worry about fluoride water any more. 

No heavy metals. Really nice clean water. 

@BlackMaze You would be looking at about $250-$600 upfront, then maybe about $100 a year in terms of new filters. It would be a good start, then you could test the water later as well. Of course we can't say how bad the water is, but RO water is what you would be buying in bottle water typically for example, except you should be getting a lot less plastics in it. You can look at test online, but that is one of the best options for purification for sure. All of the extra hassle you will do and money wasted on inferior products won't be worth it. An install will take only an hour or two with minimal experience. 

@Michael569 I had a brita before and I could see the no filter water traveling down to the bottom chamber lol. Thankfully that got me to research deeper into it. 

Edited by Average Investor

My relatives in the United States were still drinking tap water and PRIMO WATER from KROEGER. 

So I told them to install a damn purifier. 

Now they got it installed in their new house. 

Trust me it helps. 

I drank tap water for a week in the US and I felt sick. 

The next week I got BRITA but I wasn't satisfied. I felt like I was pouring water from a jug. 

But I left US after that so I didn't feel the need to buy a purifier there. 

A good purifier should cost you  $280 upfront. 

You also need to pay annual or biannual for filters like a $100. 

But of course you can go for a $100 purifier as well but it may not be optimum. 

Yet any purifier option is better than silly tap water or BRITA. 

You can get packaged drinking RO water like the ones in KROEGER or WALMART but it's a lot of plastic waste lying around the house. 

I remember doing that when I had like 400 bottles in the trunk of my car. It's just not good. 

Better invest in an installation 

It comes with company warranty and servicing. 

You won't regret it a bit 

PLEASE DON'T DRINK TAP WATER EVER. IT'S LITERALLY POISON.. 

@BlackMaze if you are worried about fixing an RO system into the wall, then go for the Countertop RO 

I've an RO that's not Countertop but it's kinda drilled into the Wall of my kitchen 

I don't know what to call it, drilled or what , their technicians come and do it. 

I mean I already had like a cabin space in the wall. So they didnt have to drill much. It took them 2 hours. 

They just put some holes and put some electric circuitry (I'm not good at describing such things) and wiring and fixed the rectangular big RO thing into the wall cabin. 

It's expensive of course but better than wasting thousands of dollars on health issues. 

Am I right? 

Edited by Preety_India

Do y'all think tap water is ok for steaming vegetables? 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered