machinegun

How do I start out learning about money?

16 posts in this topic

I'm starting college this fall, and I don't want to be one of those people who are in debt for their whole lives. For my four years, I've mostly spent time doing excruciating school work (I'm in the IB), but now I have some free time. I wanted to ask here because I'm afraid if I take this step on my own I could be sucked into some bullshit, because I don't have experience in the field, or the real world yet. My question is where should I go to start off with stocks. Also, if there are other ways to earn money on the internet I would be VERY interested (I recently tried to get a sugar momma, but they all ended up being scams lmao). Optimally, I'd get some money first (maybe around $5000?) and then worry about marketing and financing later. Let me know!

BTW I got around $2000 saved up

@machinegun Dude, when you got so little starting capital stocks are pointless.

If you want to generate serious money look into business, not stocks.

Your whole approach to money is wrong. You are looking for ways to leech money, when you should be looking for ways to become a massive value provider. If you want to become wealthy make yourself a massive value provider and don't even think about leeching value.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura do you have any advice/recomms for those who are trying to bring value to the world but the returns are just not there? As in financial. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

11 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@Leo Gura do you have any advice/recomms for those who are trying to bring value to the world but the returns are just not there? As in financial. 

What do you mean, "returns just not there"?

Obviously when you are starting a business you must do a rapid proof of profit. If you can't make sales happen, you've got nothing. So whatever you're creating must have a way of making sales. And you need a realistic marketing plan to get those sales because sales never happen automagically. Sales require intense and calculated marketing.

So basically, all business boils down to a marketing problem. You need to deeply study and understand the marketing behind whatever product or service you're creating/selling. No marketing, no business.

If returns aren't there, adjust your product/service and/or marketing plan to better match what people want and are willing to pay for. You can't just create things that only you want, you have to always keep an eye on what people want/need.

The surest way to start a successful biz is to find a deep emotional need in the market which is under-served by other businesses. For example, you know guys are insecure about their dick size. Invent a product/service that will cure that, either by growing their dick or by eliminating that insecurity forever. Just a cliche example. You must be more creative than that.

To launch a biz your business ideas must be highly pragmatic, not idealistic. Idealism rarely produces profit.

Watch all his videos, reada Leo's book list on money and take the Life Purpose course ( you will understand why after watching this video) 

Spoliler : because money follows massive value. First give value. Then money follows ( dont forget to set up a structure to get paid for your value - giving) 

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

What is value?

Whatever helps the ego survive.

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

So basically, all business boils down to a marketing problem. You need to deeply study and understand the marketing behind whatever product or service you're creating/selling. No marketing, no business.

Thank You! I think this is the greatest problem at the moment. I've got basics from Seth Godin and Russel Branson but those ain't good enough.  Got any books in particular that you personally found most helpful? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

13 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Got any books in particular that you personally found most helpful?

Nobody will ever give you marketing. It's your job to create it. That's what business is!

Let go of the gurus and books and start using your brain creatively and independently.

With that said, you can find hundreds of different courses/seminars/workshops on marketing. They can teach you principles and give you ideas, but none of them will do the trick for you. Only you can do the trick.

The right marketing plan is worth more than the entire business. To expect someone to hand you a marketing plan is like expecting someone to gift you a gold mine.

Just as an example, do you know what AirBnB's marketing plan was? They created a horde of bots to spam Craiglist to steal all their rental clients and lure them over to AirBnB. Without this plan AirBnB would not exist today. AirBnB is now valued at $101 billion. That marketing plan was worth $101 billion dollars. No book will tell you how to do that.

@Michael569 I agree with Leo, read books / courses for general marketing information & teachings, but industry specifics & your own business specifics will require more specific research :) 

same for Sales principles, you can learn the fundamentals from gurus / courses / books, but specifics come from the field. 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Interesting thread, got a few questions for @Leo Gura

How did you market Actualized.org when you first created it, did you post the self-development videos to build credibility with your audience to sell your LP course? Was the LP course your product and you created Actualized.org to market it?

Was Youtube your main platform of marketing or did you use other methods as well?

Why you think your channel stood out from other self-help gurus yt channels (before the spirituality) and gained traction.

For people planning on using Youtube to market their services what key principles would you tell them to keep in mind?

@LfcCharlie4 thanks Charlie :)

I will be doing lot of that this year

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Thank You! I think this is the greatest problem at the moment. I've got basics from Seth Godin and Russel Branson but those ain't good enough.  Got any books in particular that you personally found most helpful? 

@Michael569 

I found Eben Pagan’s courses useful in teaching the principles and also some implementation  (That being said I have yet to do sth with that... I’m just getting educated on it now — got em as free offers.)

Or maybe this can be useful, second link:

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

@machinegun Scratch your own itch, find what you are interested in, create what you would want to buy the most. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I do often wonder what @Leo Gura marketing plan for actualized was 

I heard him say he put lots of time, money and effort into the marketing... but I wonder what it was sometimes 

there’s no Facebook, Instagram, no ads, no e mail list with updates, no funnels, no book, 1 online course. No webinars, no Facebook groups, no partnering up,  I’m willing to bet no seo, google adwords etc 

no doubt Leo is a marketing psychology master and a purple cow with amazing content and consistency of showing up every week. And maybe that’s it. But I personally can’t see where the marketing budget is going... The marketing budget from all I can see is just equipment (camera, mic) learning courses and books . 

maybe he is doing a lot of this stuff behind the scenes... but I haven’t seen any ‘marketing’ in a direct sense apart from just showing up amazingly every week and delivering massive value - so maybe that’s just the key 

1 hour ago, Thetruthseeker said:

I do often wonder what @Leo Gura marketing plan for actualized was 

I heard him say he put lots of time, money and effort into the marketing... but I wonder what it was sometimes 

there’s no Facebook, Instagram, no ads, no e mail list with updates, no funnels, no book, 1 online course. No webinars, no Facebook groups, no partnering up,  I’m willing to bet no seo, google adwords etc 

no doubt Leo is a marketing psychology master and a purple cow with amazing content and consistency of showing up every week. And maybe that’s it. But I personally can’t see where the marketing budget is going... The marketing budget from all I can see is just equipment (camera, mic) learning courses and books . 

maybe he is doing a lot of this stuff behind the scenes... but I haven’t seen any ‘marketing’ in a direct sense apart from just showing up amazingly every week and delivering massive value - so maybe that’s just the key 

When I first found the Actualized channel it felt so raw and real. No fancy shit. Just a good intro that said "this is profound" and a bald guy who presented things in a way that made me feel like this was something unique. Also the length of the videos stood out to me and the content felt sort of exclusive ( which apparently it is). I think extensive marketing would ruin the magic and make it feel not so real. That's at least my take on it.