PepperBlossoms

How To Feed Thy Creativity?

13 posts in this topic

Creativity.  What is creativity to you?

What fertilizer do you use to foster and allow for more creativity?  What systems, what rules, what lack of rules, what tools, what skills, what info, what images, organizations?

What have you noticed that destroys/hampers creativity?  What killers, what systems, rules, lack of rules, tools, mindsets, info, images, organizations?

What food you select at the grocery store, what clothes you wear, what words you use, how you say your words, how you walk, how you react, what you focus on, what questions you ask, what you paint where, where you put yourself and when, what combinations you put together and move around, what tools you use, what organizational method your thoughts are put together with, what partner you select, what reason you give for doing/wanting anything, how you do a task, how you reframe a situation, how you teach someone something, how you interact with anything like a person/bug/air particle, identity and perspective.... all can be within the realm of creativity.

Why even bother having creativity?  Do you look for creativity and what exactly are you looking for?  

How does creativity or lack of it affect your mood, thoughts, drive?

Thank you to everyone/everything for being creative (and destructive), whether aware of it or not.

Examples that I had come up with:

Throwing away enough stuff so that there is space for new stuff.  Organizing the existing space.  

Getting enough sleep, food, water, relationship needs, information, other needs, etc. taken care of so that they are not crowding the creative space.

Getting tools/materials that can be used and combined together in different ways.

Having ways to fill up a pallet but also easily have an empty pallet --- putting thoughts down somewhere so that you don't have to hold on to them and can let new ones come in (whether that be by writing the thoughts down, telling someone your thoughts, keeping track of them with Trello, Microsoft Paint, etc., thinking with just the mind)

Having enough rules set to not have to make too many decisions but also not having too many rules to where no decisions can be made.

Putting yourself in situations so that you can see something as if you have never seen it before.

Creativity to me is a flow state, an allowing you just know by how it feels.

The book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron is a great resource. 

Journaling, self care, taking time to yourself, appreciating other's art and creativity, listening to music, time in nature and generally following your bliss are all key for me. 

I find that trying to please others or trying to own the end result too much hampers creativity. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

read/watch things that are really creative...be courageous about your art (well it's up to you how far you wanna take that but yea)...look at things you find beautiful because they would spark your intuition

William S. Burroughs on Creativity

Marina Abramovic: Creativity Is a State of Mind

Werner Herzog on Creativity, Self-Reliance, and How to Make a Living Doing What You Love

David Lynch on Creativity, Meditation, and Inspiration

Björk on creativity as an ongoing experiment

William Blake’s Most Beautiful Letter: A Searing Defense of the Imagination and the Creative Spirit

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

these questions are nicely thought out so i'm gonna answer them

--

What is creativity to you?

it's the expression of ideas that can't be done in mere language. it's a kind of witchcraft too in a way lol

What fertilizer do you use to foster and allow for more creativity?  What systems, what rules, what lack of rules, what tools, what skills, what info, what images, organizations?

I like to collect pictures and info alike. not only aesthetically pleasing ones because that would be quite limiting but things that hold a nice energy to them, whether it's a pic or a song. I don't have rules, aside from having official music links and high quality images

What have you noticed that destroys/hampers creativity?  What killers, what systems, rules, lack of rules, tools, mindsets, info, images, organizations?

Making art for the sake of nice opinions. That is what politics is for lol.

What food you select at the grocery store, what clothes you wear, what words you use, how you say your words, how you walk, how you react, what you focus on, what questions you ask, what you paint where, where you put yourself and when, what combinations you put together and move around, what tools you use, what organizational method your thoughts are put together with, what partner you select, what reason you give for doing/wanting anything, how you do a task, how you reframe a situation, how you teach someone something, how you interact with anything like a person/bug/air particle, identity and perspective.... all can be within the realm of creativity.

true

Why even bother having creativity?  Do you look for creativity and what exactly are you looking for?  

A world without creativity is like Covid without masks.... lol

i'd say creativity cures me from depression and takes me away from negativity

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@PepperBlossoms I keep a collection of the works of other artists. It can be useful to have something to make inspiration from, study the structure of it, whether it be visual or musical art, and then recreate something similar but with your own flare. 

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

Great topic, love it.

5 hours ago, PepperBlossoms said:

Creativity.  What is creativity to you?

Allowing God to create through you. It's a natural ability we all have as we all are God. Often my best ideas come during meditation.

A big one for me is my mood.

If I'm in a bad mood, it's rare that I create anything I like. In fact I usually just end up feeling really blocked.

The better the mood I'm in, usually the easier it flows out.

The only real "rules" I have are to not force anything. If I'm just pushing and banging my head against the wall, I allow myself to stop.

At the same time, if I get an impulse, I have to trust that impulse and just follow it where it goes. It may not make any sense at all to my mind where it's going.

Often that one step leads to another step, which leads to another, which leads to another, etc. But If I start questioning it, it kills the whole thing.

I think we seek creativity because it reminds us of our spiritual nature. We know our creative ideas are not "of this world" so to speak.

There's almost no better feeling than being creative. Or to see the end result of something you birthed from nothing that you're just so proud of. I feel totally connected and in the flow.

When I'm lacking creativity, it's the opposite. I feel blocked, frustrated and like I'm incapable of being creative.

It's quite the emotional roller-coaster ride.

Let's talk on creativity tonight at Zoom online tonight at 8pm eastern. 

Love the answers here. Just jk on the first line. My rules on creativity are that there should be no rules.

Edited by hyruga

To me creativity is using ''life-resources'' or maybe we can say ''consciousness'' as diversely as possibly to create more multicolored life to yourself and through yourself to others.

I've noticed that the more I live according to my values the more creative I tend to be. Living on the edge, pushing and challenging myself towards my goals - despite all the pain and struggle that come from it - boosts my creativity. When my ego's having a backlash or I'm just off the course for some reason, I don't really find creativity in the midst of that ''complacency'' in my life.

Wow.  I am just now reading these.  Y'alls responses are so good.  I am amazed.   Thank you so much.

More:
Experiences, in ALL fields
People

Music
Movies

Documentaries

Art
Lectures/audiobooks
Books of all genres
Expressions; movement, drawing, writing, creation of any sort
Logic
Emotion

The more you engage all of these, the more creative you will be.

Creativity is just a matter of linking things together that weren't together before, i.e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDAEL8jqo9

@PepperBlossoms Creativity is everything, thus the one and only. This is all you need to focus on in life (inclusive of rigid processes that need to be followed). Trust me here, I have thought for many years on this subject. Spend the rest of the year solely focusing on creativity and generating a deeper and deeper understanding of that subject and you’ll thank me later. Don’t listen to any other person, they’re wrong. Wrong path, wrong maze, wrong words, wrong everything. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing else.

Edited by Origins