JKG

The Meaning Of Life

46 posts in this topic

On 9-2-2016 at 7:58 PM, quantum said:

So my current paradox: Life has no meaning because humanity has no impact on the universe. But the meaning of life is also to become happy. And to become happy I need (as long as I am not enlightened) a purpose in life. But what could this purpose be, if life is meaningless in one way? Is there even a purpose?

Whenever i have these kind of thoughts i remind my self of the following : 'we are the universe experiencing itself'. Remembering that immediatly gives more meaning to my life. The true purpose would then be very simple...to make sure the universe has some great experiences :D

But if there´s no meaning, then there´s no good or bad, then there´s no moral, then anything is allowed, right? I`m not even talking about laws created by society, but rather some universal principles as being good to others, not harming others, not killing etc...

Hello,

When you ask "the meaning of life" I will assume you mean what the necessity of your life is for not the understanding of what being alive is.

Now this may be very dry and anti climatic but I have to say there is only a meaning to life when you want to define it as one. This is because all necessity derives from desire.

As an exercise think of all the things you think you need and trace them back to what them are fulfilling. I along with everyone else I ask come to the same conclusion.

The problem you quickly run into is choosing what you want rather than trying to find what you want.

Matt 

@Mia Good and bad are subjective. You could say a color is good or bad depending on the circumstance. It may seem like moral operate in a different realm but they don't.

@quantum My thinking on this subject is a simple one.

We as a life force produce positive and negative energies. It is our mission in life, above all else, to be and become this positive energy. In fact it is our duty to spread and emanate this force to all other life forms within our reach (and beyond?).

The stronger this energy (both positive and negative) the more it can effect others around us (and overwhelm us).

Our entire existence and wellbeing depends on it. Thus the reason we see / feel so much negativity in our world today.

This is why we all strive for our life purpose, once found so does are positive energy. Perhaps we have this backward however, for maybe by keeping positive our purpose can then find us.

Why do you need to have this "meaning" in the first place? Who ever said there is one in the universe or existence or whatever? If you consider that everything if made of atoms and that no "meaning" exist in them that doesn't make you a non-human. In my opinion people have some need to have some kind of a "destiny" or a goal to achieve or otherwise they would lose their minds since they have no "meaning".

I think that in end only true "meaning" in life is to be human, and that is only because we are. A lot better that being a stone I guess....

Maybe, it's a video game, and you're behind the scenes in a future life playing a video game called something like, EarthWorld 3D Adventure--Experience feelings emotions, pain, hunger, pleasure and more..see how long you can stay in the game(and tap into what it was like to "feel")   Huh.

The meaning of life is completely decided by you. If it were decided by anyone or anything else, it would not be 'meaning'. You are in your own reality, the meaning is only 'meaning' based on what it 'means' to you. What is the meaning of life?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

To experience, Simply.

B R E A T H E

@JKG   For me ....the meaning of life is to LOVE.  When you Love yourself you have a life purpose and passion, so thus you can help others.  We are at our best health when we LOVE, and have positive emotions.  When we are sad and depressed our bodies are weak and  they crumble and we get sick.  It is not natural for us to not be happy.  LOVE is the most powerful emotional and vibration that exists.  God is LOVE aka absolute infinity.  If everything is absolute infinity....aka LOVE.....why not be LOVE? Why not live what the TRUTH is?

@FindingPeace  I really enjoy this view. It is subjective, but there is some sound objectivity to it, that being the acceptance of what life is! I am new to this forum, and currently dealing with an existential crisis. This viewpoint has helped me a bit!

@jse  This quote is (not verbatim) within the first paragraph on my personal mission statement! It doesn't help solve the problem, but it's definitely a start! haha

After years of bothering me, this simple Alan watts explanation satisfied my inquiry on the topic.

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are made for"    - John A. Shedd

7c8b5e3ce365e108ab047f020fe1ad2b.png

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

Check out this video on meaning from Crash Course Philosophy (they are soo good)!

Edited by Principium Nexus

I have found a good (scientific?) explanation from Jonathan Haidt at the end of his book "The Happiness Hypothesis."

What can you do to have a good, happy, fulfilling, and meaningful life? What is the answer to the question of purpose within life? I believe the answer can be found only by understanding the kind of creature that we are, divided in the many ways we are divided. We were shaped by individual selection to be selfish creatures who struggle for resources, pleasure, and prestige, and we were shaped by group selection to be hive creatures who need love and attachments, and we are industrious creatures with needs for effectance, able to enter a state of vital engagement with our work. We are the rider and we are the elephant [Freud's Theory], and our mental health depends on the two working together, each drawing on the others' strengths. I don't believe there is an inspiring answer to the question, "What is the purpose of life?" Yet by drawing on ancient wisdom and modern science, we can find compelling answers to the question of purpose within life. The final version of the happiness hypothesis is that happiness comes from between. Happiness is not something that you can find, acquire, or achieve directly. You have to get the conditions right and then wait. Some of those conditions are within you, such as coherence among the parts and levels of your personality. Other conditions require relationships to things beyond you: Just as plants need sun, water, and good soil to thrive, people need love, work, and connection to something larger. It is worth striving to get the right relationships between yourself and others, between yourself and your work, and between yourself and something larger than yourself. If you get these relationships right, a sense of purpose and meaning will emerge.