actualizing25

The path of understanding vs the path of enlightenment

24 posts in this topic

Im trying to show you guys the big picture of the two paths that people on this forum and in spirituality in general are pursuing. I know that it is a black and white kind of thinking, but nevertheless I try to illustrate what is going on.

So as you guys know Leo is not only about the classic enlightenment pursuit. Maybe he was in the beginning of his spiritual journey, but it is pretty obvious now that he is not your classic spiritual guru type of guy. Leos path is quite differnet.

The path of enlightenment is the path, which is mainly presented by the gurus you see in the media like Rupert Spira or Eckart Tolle. This path is about the realization of your true self/higher self, about liberation, about happiness, peace, killing the ego, coming home, escaping suffering etc. Of course there is understanding here, but this understanding isnt the end and can be a lot deeper. The techniques on this path are mainly meditation, self-inquiry and Yoga. These are the things, which the gurus are presenting for the main purpose of enlightenment.

Then there ist he path of understanding. This path is much more about the existential questions and less about liberation, peace, happiness. Its about satisfying the thirst for understanding or knowing. Deep questions about reality, love, god and their answers are the main motivation on this path. The person on this path is seeking understanding just for the sake of understanding and not for any ego-benefits like peace or happiness: His Her/understanding and knowing should be as deep as possible, only then he/she will be satisfied. The spiritual techniques are mainly contemplation and psychedelics.

I have noticed that most people on this forum and on the spiritual path in general are pursuing the enlightenment path. I think that there are far less people out there, who are pursuing understanding just fort he sake of understanding.

I just wanted to show a big picture and wanted to show that Leos channel is for people who are seeking understanding. If you only want to pusure enlightenment then you should follow other gurus like Rupert Spira or Eckart Tolle.

Thanks for reading.

I think it is more like two ways people start pursuing enlightenment.

One does it FOR liberation, the other FOR insight.

Both (I think) lead to enlightenment.

Edited by Michal__

think of it as a circle... a clock if you will

you start at 6. you need to get to 12.

you can go clockwise or counter-clockwise.

both paths end up at 12.

get to 12, path doesn't matter... whatever you prefer.

there's also a path that goes directly from 6 to 12 - straight line up - it's a pathless-path. quantum jump. watch out for that too :)

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

You are describing the fundamental difference between knowledge and wisdom. From what I've seen in this forum, the large majority are focused on the former rather than the latter. It's all about "Oh my God, I AM GOD!!!!", and nothing about how that epiphany translates to a more abundant life.

What is the point in pursuing the "path of understanding" if it doesn't dissolve your attachments and free you from suffering? The Buddha taught only about suffering and liberation from suffering. That is the true path of enlightenment. Everything else is a distraction.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Moksha There are people out there like Leo for example who pursue understanding for its own sake. I think its just a different path but not a distraction.

They are actually the same. You are looking for the same even when you have two labels for that. You are looking for Happiness (enlightenment) = Truth (understanding) = God

Edited by RedLine

@actualizing25 The only thing we can understand is that reality is beyond understanding. 

Why do people focus on the epiphany, rather than on the enlightenment? It's less effort I suppose, but you get what you pay for.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

4 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

Im trying to show you guys the big picture of the two paths that people on this forum and in spirituality in general are pursuing. I know that it is a black and white kind of thinking, but nevertheless I try to illustrate what is going on.

So as you guys know Leo is not only about the classic enlightenment pursuit. Maybe he was in the beginning of his spiritual journey, but it is pretty obvious now that he is not your classic spiritual guru type of guy. Leos path is quite differnet.

The path of enlightenment is the path, which is mainly presented by the gurus you see in the media like Rupert Spira or Eckart Tolle. This path is about the realization of your true self/higher self, about liberation, about happiness, peace, killing the ego, coming home, escaping suffering etc. Of course there is understanding here, but this understanding isnt the end and can be a lot deeper. The techniques on this path are mainly meditation, self-inquiry and Yoga. These are the things, which the gurus are presenting for the main purpose of enlightenment.

Then there ist he path of understanding. This path is much more about the existential questions and less about liberation, peace, happiness. Its about satisfying the thirst for understanding or knowing. Deep questions about reality, love, god and their answers are the main motivation on this path. The person on this path is seeking understanding just for the sake of understanding and not for any ego-benefits like peace or happiness: His Her/understanding and knowing should be as deep as possible, only then he/she will be satisfied. The spiritual techniques are mainly contemplation and psychedelics.

I have noticed that most people on this forum and on the spiritual path in general are pursuing the enlightenment path. I think that there are far less people out there, who are pursuing understanding just fort he sake of understanding.

I just wanted to show a big picture and wanted to show that Leos channel is for people who are seeking understanding. If you only want to pusure enlightenment then you should follow other gurus like Rupert Spira or Eckart Tolle.

Thanks for reading.

Right as rain.

12 minutes ago, AlphaAbundance said:

I think they maybe merge? There is no final enlightenment. But I don't know 

?

Obviously there is in fact no final enlightenment, because final enlightenment is all there is. But nobody wants final enlightenment. Literally nobody at all. And nobody will, ever.

@The0Self Lol nobody wants enlightenment haha

No, but I mean literally like there is no highest state/stage of consciousness, like its neverending. Help me understand the first part of your koan.

1 minute ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@The0Self Lol nobody wants enlightenment haha

No, but I mean literally like there is no highest state/stage of consciousness, like its neverending. Help me understand the first part of your koan.

Everybody wants enlightenment. They want enlightenment more than anything. But ultimately, enlightenment is not want-able because it’s all there is. You can’t want what’s already happening — that’s tantamount to the apparent me dissolving either partially or completely (what some may term ego death).

@The0Self Ok I see

What about

12 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Obviously there is in fact no final enlightenment, because final enlightenment is all there is. 

Just now, AlphaAbundance said:

@The0Self Ok I see

What about

The thing you responded to with “ok I see” is basically synonymous with the thing you prefaced with “what about”

@The0Self Oh ok I see

So no matter how far a person realizes consciousness, however far someone can awaken, or however infinite someone's consciousness can grow, that absolutely infinite stage of consciousness is right here. Right now.

I think the bath of enlightenment (which you described in your own words) is all about memorization/memory and anyone can do that even the gurus … but the bath of understanding is all about Knowing.

For me I think that real ultimate understanding=real ultimate enlightenment.

9 hours ago, Moksha said:

@actualizing25 The only thing we can understand is that reality is beyond understanding. 

Why do people focus on the epiphany, rather than on the enlightenment? It's less effort I suppose, but you get what you pay for.

"The biggest obstacle to Discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge".

Its because they get there head filled with concept and pursue from a full glass starting point.

You know this, don't u? ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

3 hours ago, Fadl said:

I think the bath of enlightenment (which you described in your own words) is all about memorization/memory and anyone can do that even the gurus … but the bath of understanding is all about Knowing.

For me I think that real ultimate understanding=real ultimate enlightenment.

It’s the other way around.

@VeganAwake I agree with you. In the case of some though, I would call the obstacle the "knowledge of illusion". People realize that the world of form is illusory, but they stop there. That realization alone is not enlightenment, nor is it wisdom. Out of context, it is nihilistic solipsism. There is no purpose or value in it.

What about Maya is illusion? It's not the world of form itself, but identification with the world of form. The illusion is that we are only humans, rather than humans Being. The Source pervades the universe, and is the essence of everything. Humans are not just one form of that expression; we are the next step in the evolutionary process of Consciousness becoming aware of itself.

Rather than dismissing human life as an illusion, why not recognize it for the beautiful thing that it is? Enlightenment is the realization of the Source within us and within everything. It is the practice of allowing Source to dissolve the attachments and aversions that are the reason for our suffering. It is becoming transparent so that Source, which is our true Self, can shine through as the light of the world. What higher purpose or value could there be?

Edited by Moksha

9 hours ago, AlphaAbundance said:

@The0Self Oh ok I see

So no matter how far a person realizes consciousness, however far someone can awaken, or however infinite someone's consciousness can grow, that absolutely infinite stage of consciousness is right here. Right now.

That infinite absolute freedom is all there is. It’s not consciousness either. Unless you say all there is is consciousness, but that wouldn’t be consciousness with any knowing. Knowing is separation. Free will is separation/duality (I can make a choice right now between 1. acting and 2. not acting in this way, etc) — creating 2 when there is never 2; knowing the unknowable. There is only everything: nothing happening; empty fullness; relative absolute — nothing is (appears as) everything. The unspeakable appearing as the particular, the timeless appearing in time, the unlimited appearing as the limited.