actualizing25

The path of understanding vs the path of enlightenment

24 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Moksha said:

@VeganAwake I agree with you. In the case of some though, I would call the obstacle the "knowledge of illusion". People realize that the world of form is illusory, but they stop there. That realization alone is not enlightenment, nor is it wisdom. Out of context, it is nihilistic solipsism. There is no purpose or value in it.

What about Maya is illusion? It's not the world of form itself, but identification with the world of form. The illusion is that we are only humans, rather than humans Being. The Source pervades the universe, and is the essence of everything. Humans are not just one form of that expression; we are the next step in the evolutionary process of Consciousness becoming aware of itself.

Rather than dismissing human life as an illusion, why not recognize it for the beautiful thing that it is? Enlightenment is the realization of the Source within us and within everything. It is the practice of allowing Source to dissolve the attachments and aversions that are the reason for our suffering. It is becoming transparent so that Source, which is our true Self, can shine through as the light of the world. What higher purpose or value could there be?

agreed yes it's very beautiful ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@actualizing25 you are noticing something. 

However, I will say that what you're calling "the path of understanding" is superior to "the path of enlightenment". Because in the latter people are mindlessly adopting someone else's, or some tradition's, formula or method for finding truth. 

Unless you are inherently detached from the mythologies and beliefs which become inherent to many of these traditions you can absorb yourself in, you'll be deluded. That said, learn from them, and if there's a vast gold mine, then stay in that gold mine as is neccesary. But remember, this tradition and its concepts isn't the only place or step by any means. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Let me tell you more about the wisdom that transcends all knowledge, through which the saints and sages attained perfection. Those who rely on this wisdom will be united with me. For them there is neither rebirth nor fear of death.

Bhagavad Gita 14:1-2

Enlightenment can only come from within. People can provide pointers, but it's impossible to be enlightened by someone else.

Aldous Huxley on the pursuit of self-knowledge through drugs:

[The] things which had entirely filled my attention on that first occasion [chronicled in The Doors of Perception], I now perceived to be temptations – temptations to escape from the central reality into false, or at least imperfect and partial Nirvanas of beauty and mere knowledge.

Edited by Moksha

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

A nice quote on knowledge vs. wisdom from Eckhart Tolle:

The mind can only focus on the particular. It cannot see the whole. Wisdom can see the whole, but in order to see the whole of the situation, for a moment you need to come to a cessation of thinking so that you have an Awareness. And then you suddenly see things, first nonconceptually, you see how everything is interrelated. Without wisdom, every action we take to solve a particular problem will actually make it worse. These are all aspects of the realization of Being: Enhanced creativity, wisdom, empathy, compassion, and ultimately love.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.