PurpleTree

Why is eating meat "bad" or less evolved lets say?

254 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, datamonster said:

Because in today's day and age killing animals for food is unnecessary, at least in the developed world.

In the absence of necessity how do we justify taking an innocent animal's life? I'd argue that most people do it for no other reasons than taste and tradition.

If you value your taste buds more than the life of another being that wants to live just like we do, this is inherently less evolved and conscious than not choosing to kill purely for pleasure, if you ask me.

For the same reason a lion doesn't just eat plants. Human is an apex predator and an obligate carnivore.

Following and promoting a man-made starvation diet (plants don't have the following nutrients: Vitamins A, D, K2, B12; EPA, DHA; creatine, carnitine, carnosine, taurine; heme-iron, CLA, CoQ10; cholesterol) doesn't make one more conscious. It's a step away from self-love and a step away from nature.

@PurpleTree When you kill a plant, it does not feel pain because it does not have a nervous system. Therefore, from the perspective of minimizing suffering, killing a plant is better than killing an animal.

In the universe, nothing is off-limits. It is an unconditionally loving universe. However, human beings are capable of using their own minds to learn spiritual practices to transcend their own minds and become enlightened, such that we wake up to the reality that we are everything. Therefore, if an animal gets killed in a slaughter-house, that's you! When you wake up to that, it becomes in your own best interests to save animals and become vegan.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Would we eat plants if we knew they were alive?

Stay cool & dry.

@BlackMaze Yeah well, you gotta eat something! I'd choose plants over animals if I were awakened enough to that.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Many people cant function/survive on a vegan diet. Take this a step further, only healthy people can eat a vegan diet. What does this suggest? Vegan diet is taxing on the body and it takes a healthy body to tolerate the stress from it. 

This is getting off topic... 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

3 minutes ago, integral said:

Many people cant function/survive on a vegan diet. Take this a step further, only healthy people can eat a vegan diet. What does this suggest? Vegan diet is taxing on the body and it takes a healthy body to tolerate the stress from it. 

This is getting off topic... 

This means that you aren't evolved enough yet to want to take responsibility for animal suffering. Your ego is so dense that it needs to kill animals to survive!

I'm sorry, that's what I actually think. I'm not there yet either, so I'm in the same boat.

12 hours ago, commie said:

Nothing is bad or less evolved as far as I'm concerned 

Alright

1 hour ago, BlackMaze said:

Would you kill the animal yourself to eat it? If you can't answer yes then don't eat it. We were all brainwashed from a very young age to eat meat drink cow's milk etc. 

If i'm being honest when i was eating meat i never stopped once to think where does my food come from. I just ate and enjoyed the taste. 

The only meat i can eat now is chicken and that maybe once every 2 months. I would probably kill a chicken myself every 2 months to enjoy the taste. This is what i believe but maybe i wouldn't actually do it. What usually happens is that if it happens and i eat meat i just try to forget about it. 

After going vegan for 6 whole months i ate meat again. What i noticed is that meat other than chicken tastes awful. 

Why did you go back to chicken every 2 months, after being vegan? Did you feel healthy on a vegan diet? Also why don't you go to a farmer and try to kill a chicken if you think about that a lot?

5 hours ago, Gidiot said:

As sadhguru says “I like to eat based on how alive the food is”

Have you ever seen the videos of Japanese and Koreans eating fish and squid which is still alive?

lol @ Eckhart Tolle saying Hitler was vegetarian. Of course i knew that but it's funny how he says it.

Tolle also eats meat sometimes and i've read the Buddha and the Dalai Lama did/do too if offered.

3 minutes ago, datamonster said:

It's funny how eating one of the most intelligent creatures on the planet alive is somehow socially acceptable.

Yet when you would slit a dog's throat in public and then eat it, people get outranged.

Not in certain places. In certain cultures they still eat dogs today.

2 hours ago, datamonster said:

Many scientists and anthropologists would disagree. And if this was true I should probably be dead by now after not eating animals for 7 years.

You don't drop dead after not eating meat for a while, nor do "vegan cats" for example, as your body stores nutrients in the liver and in the fat. Once those are depleted you'll run into serious health issues. For most it takes up to 5 years, for some it takes 10, for some a bit more. But nobody is a lifelong vegan. Also if you're a vegetarian you'll do better than a vegan.

1 hour ago, BlackMaze said:

Would you kill the animal yourself to eat it? If you can't answer yes then don't eat it. We were all brainwashed from a very young age to eat meat drink cow's milk etc. 

If i'm being honest when i was eating meat i never stopped once to think where does my food come from. I just ate and enjoyed the taste. 

The only meat i can eat now is chicken and that maybe once every 2 months. I would probably kill a chicken myself every 2 months to enjoy the taste. This is what i believe but maybe i wouldn't actually do it. What usually happens is that if it happens and i eat meat i just try to forget about it. 

After going vegan for 6 whole months i ate meat again. What i noticed is that meat other than chicken tastes awful. 

I believe that everyone should experiment with their diet. Becoming vegan makes you go to ground zero. You learn that you can actually survive without animal products and start to eat healthy. Of course you should make sure you eat enough and are taking b12. After that what i did was starting to experiment with foods and see what works with me and what doesn't. 

Not having worked with your diet could be an obstacle to spirituality or whatever else you want to pursue. 

You can't expect to put constantly poison in your body and then be a budda or whatever. 

We are brainwashed to eat plants (all modern fruit and vegetables are cultivated and didn't exist in nature). No wonder kids hate veggies. Hell, just give a baby broccoli, and then give it some raw meat - what will it choose? Its natural food, of course.

4 minutes ago, Village said:

We are brainwashed to eat plants (all modern fruit and vegetables are cultivated and didn't exist in nature). No wonder kids hate veggies. Hell, just give a baby broccoli, and then give it some raw meat - what will it choose? Its natural food, of course.

I'm actually the exception to this rule. My favorite food as a kid was raw fruits and vegetables! I didn't like meat and I didn't like eggs. I didn't like junk food. All of this other stuff has been an acquired taste for me.

@Parththakkar12 So people with major digestion problems who cant eat veganism should just suffer the rest of there lives? Taking responsibility for other animals and not taking responsibility for there own body? 

@datamonster Do you beleive that this information is new to me? Telling me what you think is a waist of time, question what you think instead. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Just now, integral said:

@Parththakkar12 So people with major digestion problems who cant eat veganism should just suffer the rest of there lives? Taking responsibility for other animals and not taking responsibility for there own body?

No. It just shows your level of development in this area of life, that is food/diet. It's okay to be where you are.

13 minutes ago, datamonster said:

And is it morally acceptable just because it's culturally acceptable?

Morals ARE culture. Morals are relative. A conservative Christian might see homosexuality as something which is immoral. A progressive leftist on the other hand might think the same of homophobia. It is all relative to who you ask. If you lived in a cannibal tribe, cannibalism wouldn't be "wrong" to you. It would actually be an essential part of your culture and your identify. If you look at spiral dynamics you will see that tribes people actually see it as their moral duty to keep their culture and their traditions alive, so not being a cannibal would be quiet immoral.

It's about who you ask.

beep boop

I think a certain diet can create a experience. Why would i limit the possibility of experiencing eating meat, it may provide some sort of insight into who i am. 

10 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

I'm actually the exception to this rule. My favorite food as a kid was raw fruits and vegetables! I didn't like meat and I didn't like eggs. I didn't like junk food. All of this other stuff has been an acquired taste for me.

Same. I never liked meat. It always disgusted me from the time that I was a child. I still ate it because my parents are Russian and Russians tend to eat quiet a lot of meat, but I never liked it. I stopped eating meat and I feel much better now. But I don't see it as something that has to do with morals or some love for animals, it just has to do with the fact that my intuition always told me not to eat meat.

@neutralempty I already see the consequences of relativism. What do you think causes most cultural wars? Racism? Sexism? Religious wars? It's all because people think that "their truth" is THE truth.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

@datamonster @neutralempty @Parththakkar12 Page 1 of this thread are leos videos on "Understanding Survival",

Stop waisting time masterbating to beliefs, watch the videos. 

2 minutes ago, Rolo said:

I think a certain diet can create a experience. Why would i limit the possibility of experiencing eating meat, it may provide some sort of insight into who i am. 

Sure! I eat dairy from time to time to see how my body reacts to it. Does it react better or worse? I eat processed sugar to check for the same. A part of me still can't believe that my body doesn't like these things!

The real reason I turned vegan is not because 'I should save animals' or 'It isn't moral to use animals for taste pleasure'. No dogmatism like that from my side. The real reason is that as I evolved more and more, my body started to react badly to meat, dairy, bread, junk food and other processed foods. My body started to gain less energy from eating these foods than was being spent in digesting it. It was as if the body wanted to expel meat/milk/yoghurt from the body instead of assimilating the nutrients from it! I literally had to do it to survive after a certain point in my own evolution.

@neutralempty What's the point you're trying to make? It's easy to criticize what I'm saying but how about you start being a little more constructive and start explaining what you are talking about. Everybody can talk without offering any value.

beep boop

4 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

Sure! I eat dairy from time to time to see how my body reacts to it. Does it react better or worse? I eat processed sugar to check for the same. A part of me still can't believe that my body doesn't like these things!

The real reason I turned vegan is not because 'I should save animals' or 'It isn't moral to use animals for taste pleasure'. No dogmatism like that from my side. The real reason is that as I evolved more and more, my body started to react badly to meat, dairy, bread, junk food and other processed foods. My body started to gain less energy from eating these foods than was being spent in digesting it. It was as if the body wanted to expel meat/milk/yoghurt from the body instead of assimilating the nutrients from it! I literally had to do it to survive after a certain point in my own evolution.

Many people have problems with digesting dairy and are sensitive to it. Or even lactose or casein intolerant etc.

Many are not though and many people have no problem whatsoever digesting meat. Some vegans/vegetarians might say that a lot of the cancer is because people are eating so much meat. But i don't know if that's true. I think cancer has a lot to do with diet, but not really with meat specifically just a lot of "junk food"