meow_meow

Is Kundalini Yoga dangerous?

48 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

So in conclusion the "bad" side of kundalini is that it might bring up traumas (childhood abuse, rape, beatings, etc) that might interfere with everyday life?

That's just part of it. Memories and mental-emotional patterns arising consciously and/or sub-consciously etc. are one thing, but since the whole system basically gets an upgrade, there will probably be times when that now due to active Kundalini- "system under re-construction/calibration" will not function well anymore for some time (and/or longer periods). One might get more sensitive overall to the point where minuscule things are very bothering, draining and overwhelming. Periods of deep darkness might occur, some refer to it as "the dark night of the soul". The body might feel weak, the mind slow and foggy, rampant thoughts and heavy emotional responses. It might be that good rejuvenation, especially proper sleep is a rare thing. Basically, one might be brought down into pits of despair. 

I recommend, if you intent to activate the Kundalini, to do more research on this subject from different sources so that you're more prepared for things that might be coming.

15 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

So would you guys @iTommy & @Toby recommend to continue this yoga practice considering my experience?

I don't know, this is a tad tricky to answer IMO. On one hand, this type of Kundalini-Yoga might be dangerous- even an incomplete yogic-system, giving you deep- energetic/mystical experiences which might be pleasant, exciting, maybe even useful. Yet in the long run, I fear it has the potential to backfire and strain/distort the energetic-system of an individual. 

But, even if it should backfire, maybe new roads will be opened/revealed to you that lead somewhere great due to its backfiring. 

If Kundalini activation is your main focus, receiving Shaktipat might be another option. 

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

3 minutes ago, iTommy said:

Periods of deep darkness might occur, some refer to it as "the dark night of the soul". The body might feel weak, the mind slow and foggy, rampant thoughts and heavy emotional responses. It might be that good rejuvenation, especially proper sleep is a rare thing. Basically, one might be brought down into pits of despair.

But, even if it should backfire, maybe new roads will be opened/revealed to you that lead somewhere great due to its backfiring. 

If Kundalini activation is your main focus, receiving Shaktipat might be another option. 

I've already been trough "the dark night of the soul" in-fact it was one of the first things that happened when I started my journey, heh, so I started kinda rough.

Anyway,

Yes, of course, neither this forum or Leo are my only sources, I'm going trough a couple of them, but most of them really just point out to the same thing which is - don't do it, if you're clueless about spirituality and the things that you know that you can or you know you cannot handle.
The dude that said his third eye was in pain for 8 years still seems kinda rough tho, and hilarious.

I have done kriya yoga.

Couple of points i want to articulate.

Kundalini is dangerous if you are deciding to practice it consistently and intensly (you need alot of guidance for that so you are sure you are doing it right).

An analogy would be lifting weights the wrong way cosistently and breaking your body. But much worse.

If you push and tense your third eye region or focus too strongly on it, it will hurt. If you hold it in a relaxed way, it will become blissful (if you do something wrong vs right, both effects over time will be exponential, wether shrinking or expanding, meaning some day third eye will open some of its dimensions vs you will go insane and incapable of even daily function). If you havent detoxed your pineal gland and have bad diet with food with alot of pain in it - meat. It is even more dangerous. Kundalini yoga is the same way. Especially if you accidentally develop psychic abilities, you won't be able to live with them and go insane. Trust me you don't want to see and get influenced by something that you tought was not previously there and you will be very delusional into dechipering wether it is real or your projection or a mix. That is BESIDES the pain of the body, loss of prana, mental instability and so many other things if you do it wrong consi stently. 

Then you will turn christian and say yoga is satanic. Please, don't be that guy.

Practice responsibly and learn about the way of conducting yoga oriented lifestyle.

@meow_meow Kriya Secrets Revealed by J C Stevens 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

24 minutes ago, Applegarden said:

I If you havent detoxed your pineal gland and have bad diet with food with alot of pain in it - meat.

Woah. Never heard of this before. Thanks for you sharing this. Do you have any sources to guidelines/articles/videos whatever on how to do it properly?

46 minutes ago, meow_meow said:

Woah. Never heard of this before. Thanks for you sharing this. Do you have any sources to guidelines/articles/videos whatever on how to do it properly?

I don't want to recommend this channel per say, but this video is good for an explanation.

Purifying the elemental setup so you can direct your energies e.c.t.

Points from my experience;

- Fluoride free thootpaste;

- Fasting;

- Vegetarian eating (low starch, low sugar works really good);

- Staring at the light of a candle;

- Touching the ground/earth helps for 10 minutes a week maybe;

- Doing any kind of pranayama (cleansing the breath, still there is a need to learn how to do it right also);

- Not eating before meditation and ESPECIALLY YOGA;

- Doing exactly what is needed in your yoga practice, not just the posture, but relaxed thinking or focused awareness or a mantra or specific breathing, or no talking during the posture, not overdoing the posture for too much time e.c.t.;

- Not eating 3 hrs before sleep;

- Not doing the practice if something you are focusing hurts, and you are not sure how to do it right;

- Of course avoid alcochol, smoking and drugs at all costs;

- If yoga doesn't feel effective, try something else for the day or certain time period.

You can test for example to see if you are doing everything right for this kriya yoga practice. The more complicated the practice, the more LIVE guidance you need.

1 hour ago, Applegarden said:

Trust me you don't want to see and get influenced by something that you tought was not previously there and you will be very delusional into dechipering wether it is real or your projection or a mix.

I wanted to tell you another story about delusion and psychic abilities e.c.t. I noticed that there is alot of pick a card tarot readings all over the net. Its not that the tarot or energy readers are entirely false or that it cannot be used to help people, however in this enviroment - first of all, the readings are generalized and therefore, very delusive. You trust because the comment section trusts also. Or you disregard it as fake entirely, and that is kinda the same trap with this stuff. You don't know also if the reader possesses this talent/capability. Also the concept of free will/determinism, nature of reality, choices, karmas, people's tendency readings based on their mental setup and predicting the various possibilites of your future is too big of a topic to grasp intellectually and trusting the psychic can be dangerous too. If you discover that you are the maker of your destiny, what for do you need a psychic. Especially these love readings, keeps people poor, unproductive, unwilling to strive for a better, long and lasting change in their lives, hoping for something that is acctually very far from the truth. Especially if you are dealing with people, playing the mating game, that is just so delusional to predict, you whole relationship/engagement/communication with them is dependant on their mood and your own mood and is a different projection in two minds. Who knows if the person you want to have a reading for even thinks about you or remembers that you exist... Meanwhile these psychics give similar patterns of communicating their ideas about the reading. Its so airy-fairy, hopeful e.c.t. And how do you know you picked your pile, there is no such a thing as your pile, its not for you, nor is it for anybody. And private readings are expensive way to spend your HARD earned money. You must be working for something better than that, right?

So in that sense, your own discovery of psychic abilities, enlightenment experiences, even more energy can be your own demise, if you are not careful enough and don't set the foundation. Some of these things i learned the hard way. I don't want to live just for somebody's validation who i have a crush on or smth like that. Extremely delusional and life numbing principle. 

Btw, again, i am not saying all psychics are scam, i had one who instantly told me i played alot computer games when i was little. So i know, whats up. But generalized half-truths of the collective is more dangerous than a lie. 

There are many types of kundalini awakenings, only 1 of them feels good. I had the one that feels good because I was following my feeling and intuition: Contemplating on non-duality concepts because it was interesting, watching teachers speak on youtube for fun, receiving shaktipat because it feels good, I never forced anything, awakenings just happened. Follow your feeling and intuition!

17 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

The ego is gone.

For most people the ego is all they know about "themselves"

No, trauma, suffering, programs, stories, these are all gone. you are never gone. 

I think this teaching promotes disassociation. nothing goes away. how could it. you're a human experience until you leave, and after you leave you still exist.

i've died many times and it only led me back to my body and myself. 

Genesis 27:27-29

Kriya is very firey. A less dangerous approach may be taking a whole body approach. Refining energy by circulating this through the body (micro cosmic orbit). Also known as qi gong.  Dissolving all tensions until the qi (energy) can smoothly flow through the whole body. Much lesser complaints due to stuck qi.  When the whole body overflows of energy , nice feeling, let it flow over to the head (and pop open the pineal gland). You can choose for healing Tao for this or even more watery (but maybe slow?) the water method for example given by Bruce Frantzis.

Have an energized day!

Edited by perspective

From what I've learned, Kriya Yoga seems to be the safer alternative to Kundalini Yoga. Both aim at awakening the Kundalini, so it ultimately leads you to liberation. While Kundalini Yoga stimulates the Kundalini/Shakti very heavily, Kriya Yoga makes sure that this Kundalini stimulation happens in a balanced way. Kriya Yoga has an additional safety net, while Kundalini Yoga does not have that. Kundalini Yoga makes sure you arrive as fast as possible, Kriya Yoga makes sure you arrive as fast and safe as possible. But that does not mean that Kriya Yoga can't be rough too or is absolutely safe. You still have to be really careful with energy work. 

Books I can recommend:

Tara Springett - Enlightenment through the Path of Kundalini (covers a lot of essential informations and how one can prepare for a Kundalini awakening)

Santata Gamana - The Secret Power of Kriya Yoga

Santata Gamana - Kundalini Exposed

Both of the Santata Gamana books are really short and teach you how to practice Kriya Yoga. But it's best to learn such techniques from a Yoga Master, such as Sadhguru. But ultimately, you are the true Guru!

What's wrong with danger? Danger is God too. 

But kundalini yoga is rubbish anyway so move along and check my sign. That's the fastest way to enlightenment.

Edited by Arzack

Householders,  job holders, people with so many social obligations shouldn't do it. It'll dismantle the Mental Structure(conditioning), Belief Structure & karmic structure very quickly. Mood swings are worst. deep blissful to deep depression cycles changing repeatedly.

If you really really want to do it. Do it, But gain as much theoretical knowledge as possible beforehand. If things get sideways, contact SKY Yoga center or Isha yoga Center or any other centers which have expertise in Kundalini Yoga. But, remember, it'll definitely affect your everyday life.

Generally, it is said that once it opens with full force, until it passes Brahmarandha, it'll not stop. But, for me it stopped after 15~ days.

The extreme symptoms may stay for weeks, months, or even many years. For some they do not recede in this life time.

When it is awakening, sometimes past life tendencies will play in your current body, which may either be human or otherwise. You might shout, behave or move like some animals, reptiles or birds as a result.

Once ajna chakra opens, sometimes other realms with good or bad entities can be encountered. Those entities will recognize your presence. It can be a very scary experience.

Kundalini Awakening through shaktipat:

Someone who's dealing with awakened kundalini daily basis:

Edited by PopoyeSailor

1 hour ago, PopoyeSailor said:

Householders,  job holders, people with so many social obligations shouldn't do it. It'll dismantle the Mental Structure(conditioning), Belief Structure & karmic structure very quickly. Mood swings are worst. deep blissful to deep depression cycles changing repeatedly.

Okay, so this is basically what every other source points out / boils down to.
What do you think about the exercises in the video in the topic?

3 hours ago, meow_meow said:

Okay, so this is basically what every other source points out / boils down to.
What do you think about the exercises in the video in the topic?

By looking at the channel of the person in the video you posted. It seems she has no clue whatsoever about the potential and dangerous of kundalini yoga. She seems to be treating it like any other yoga. The exercises she teaching may awaken kundalini, but not guaranteed. Even other yoga systems in the end has to tap into kundalini to attain enlightenment. But, those systems will awaken it systematically and slowly. Also, not all the chakras may/need be open through other systems. But, Kundalini yoga is said to be like hitting the kundalini snake forcefully to make it rise through the spine. It would want to pierce through all the chakras one by one burning down any impediments on its path. The heat felt during such times feels like very physical in nature.

Please watch the soulful toz video I linked on my previous post.

The only guaranteed way to awaken kundalini safely is through shaktipat. Even then after awakening, assistance from a guru may be needed.

If you have a SKY(Simplified Kundalini Yoga) Center near your place, you can learn it from there. Along with rising the kundalini directly to ajna. They will teach you shanthi meditation which makes the energy back down and go back to its calm state. It is the safer way to walk this path. Isha Yoga center will not initiate you in kundalini, unless you become a monk.

Edited by PopoyeSailor

10 minutes ago, PopoyeSailor said:

By looking at the channel of the person in the video you posted. It seems she has no clue whatsoever about the potential and dangerous of kundalini yoga. She seems to be treating it like any other yoga.

Yes, I thought of this too, I wonder what would she do if she suddenly woke up, hehe.

Okay, in conclusion kundalini is probably not the best thing to do for me now. After a bit more research Kriya yoga seems like a safer alternative, also it's almost close to my daily routine, only the meditation is different - focuses on spine.

However, I can't seem to find any kriya yoga exercises, could you provide with some?

12 hours ago, meow_meow said:

Yes, I thought of this too, I wonder what would she do if she suddenly woke up, hehe.

Okay, in conclusion kundalini is probably not the best thing to do for me now. After a bit more research Kriya yoga seems like a safer alternative, also it's almost close to my daily routine, only the meditation is different - focuses on spine.

However, I can't seem to find any kriya yoga exercises, could you provide with some?

It is not like physical exercises. It is a whole system. If you are serious about it. It'll take significant amount of time and dedication from your part.

(Theory)Kriya Yoga: https://www.academia.edu/13073390/Yoga_and_Kriya_Swami_Satyananda_Saraswati

Download the PDF. If you cannot understand how to do a particular exercise given in the book. Search for the name of that particular exercise in youtube or google it.

The above book lists various different techniques and practices. You may not be able to do all of them consistently. That's why it would be better to join a yoga center. They will teach certain No. of practices which you'll be able to practice daily that are designed for gradual awakening.

Edited by PopoyeSailor

4 hours ago, PopoyeSailor said:

It is not like physical exercises. It is a whole system. If you are serious about it. It'll take significant amount of time and dedication from your part.

(Theory)Kriya Yoga: https://www.academia.edu/13073390/Yoga_and_Kriya_Swami_Satyananda_Saraswati

Download the PDF. If you cannot understand how to do a particular exercise given in the book. Search for the name of that particular exercise in youtube or google it.

The above book lists various different techniques and practices. You may not be able to do all of them consistently. That's why it would be better to join a yoga center. They will teach certain No. of practices which you'll be able to practice daily that are designed for gradual awakening.

Yeah, I did a little research already. Thanks guys!

On 9/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, PopoyeSailor said:

Someone who's dealing with awakened kundalini daily basis:

Heyy someone's sharing Laura's videos on here. So fun, she had a kundalini awakening when I did, same day!
What a joy to see her mentioned here! The energy she radiates enlivens and uplifts the forum. 

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.