Mosess

No one to relate too.

27 posts in this topic

I'm a 20 year old dude who is inquiring reality, meditating/being almost everyday. Now, all my friends are interested in stuff that i am no longer interested in anymore (football, sex, dating, money, alcohol & drugs, cars etc..)  

I can't really relate with most of them anymore, and don't really have "fun" when I'm hanging out with them. They just talk about those stuff which I'm just not into anymore and to be honest, i would probably guess that 95% of people my age where i am are exactly like that.

Whenever i hang out with them, they give me this "genuine" advice; 

Dude, you are wasting your precious time as a young man doing things that will get you nowhere. Ignore whatever your doing and enjoy your life! You'll get old and you won't regain those youthful days again ever!

This makes me sad. Because i see how they are right in a sense. 

Assuming i could stop this truth hunt and live my life as most people my age are living, should i? Or should i continue down this path that i think i am already way too deep in?

Do whatever you feel is right. You'll get used to not being able to relate to people the same way you used to. I was in your shoes 3 years ago myself, but I still hang out with other people despite all that. There are still many ways that you can connect to other people your age.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

You can hang out and have fun at all ages. I just came back from the jersey shore and had LOTS of fun. Btw I’m 37. Do what makes you happy ?, if mediating is what makes you happy right now do that. Many people say life is short, but I’ve always feel it is long. For me life feels long. Your 20s are SUPER long and 30s are even longer lol. You have lots of time still to change your mind in the future and do whatever you want, IF you want. 

14 hours ago, Mosess said:

Assuming i could stop this truth hunt and live my life as most people my age are living, should i? Or should i continue down this path that i think i am already way too deep in?

If you don't have a burning desire for truth, all your seeking will be pointless. Likewise, if you don't have a burning desire to go out with your friends and do things with them, you will also be wasting your time.

Set your heart on one thing and follow it through till the end. Don't multi-task. You can't carry two watermelons in one hand.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Do what makes you the happiest.

I do feel like I want to go partying and take some drugs but to be honest if I don't to that I won't regret a bit. I feel way happier doing hikes and meditating in the forest with my buddies than jumping to music around drunk people. There's no "wrong" way to live life.

And no one said you can't do both. If you meditate everyday and go into a rave you'll enjoy the music much more than people who are mindless and not paying proper attention to the vibrations and nuances of the heavy bass.

Also, you can absolutely go partying in your 30s if you want hahaha.

Fuck your crab friends trying to bring you back to the bucket.

Actually, these people are around stage orange probably. Try to find some people around Green and hang out with them. The green smoking Green people. Even better if you find yellow ones, but that's harder.

What's in the fear in dying a virgin?

Why should we have cool ass cars?

Why do drugs?

Carve your own path.

Who guarantees they won't be the ones in 10-20 years saying "man if I were like you I would be so much better off"?

From a fellow 20 years old Green/Yellow self-actualizing buddy

Edited by Espaim

9 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

If you don't have a burning desire for truth, all your seeking will be pointless. Likewise, if you don't have a burning desire to go out with your friends and do things with them, you will also be wasting your time.

Set your heart on one thing and follow it through till the end. Don't multi-task. You can't carry two watermelons in one hand.

@louhad No matter how much i try ignoring or forgetting about it, that desire is always there. I don't even think its an option to stop seeking. Its everywhere, always in front of me no matter where i am or what i'm doing

On 8/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, Mosess said:

i would probably guess that 95% of people my age where i am are exactly like that.

Don't guess this.

There is a ton of people in their 20's and even teenagers who are getting into this stuff.

Most people my age are living

It's not about age.

For example, your non-spiritual friends who are focused on dating now in their 20's, probably will be focused on taking care of their house and children in their 30/40's.

They aren't necessarily going to AGE into spirituality and self actualization. haha It doesn't usually work like that.

Instead of "picking up hot chicks".... it will just change to him "picking up his baby from daycare" 15 years from now. haha

Edited by Brittany

10 minutes ago, Brittany said:

Don't guess this.

There is a ton of people in their 20's and even teenagers who are getting into this stuff.

ehh, not really guessing, i'm stating it

I've interacted with ALOT of students in my college who are near the same age as i am. I can confidently tell you that they are mostly not interested (even in the slightest bit) in knowing who they are or what reality is. They think they already "got it figured out because its written in a book". 

@Mosess Regardless, you should know that when it really comes down to it, at the end of the day, you're really on your own. There is nobody that can really help you find out who you are except yourself, nobody you can look to for advice other than yourself, nobody you can trust other than yourself. To know yourself, you must trust yourself and only you.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I can totally relate to this. From ages 16-18 I was trying really hard at spirituality. I had a few mystical experiences, and probably dipped into once or twice (nothing serious).

I think this was a total waste of time. The way I practised, I thought I had to immediately cut myself off from everyone, I assumed studying at school was existentially less significant than consciousness work so I didn't focus on it. I don't think spiritual work is a waste of time at all, but in my experience if you are not grounded the work is valueless. 

If I were to go back, I would tell myself to take my health in nutrition super seriously, to master learning, time management, purpose, healthy relaxation etc. Sadghuru is said to have stayed in the woods overnight, and drink the honey out of beehives survive, literally as a child, spent years in the gym before he found his Guru, he was and is a tough cookie. Are you a tough cookie? Not in a macho way, but if you spiral into a deeply suicidal rut, do you have the adequate understanding of your psychology to work through it? 

On 24/08/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mosess said:

Assuming i could stop this truth hunt and live my life as most people my age are living, should i?

You don't necessarily have to choose one or the other. But I would recommend choosing the aspects of "normal life" that aren't stupid; Excess drinking alcohol will reduce grey brain matter and put stress on the body, why spend money on cars when you could buy a sensible car and spend the rest of your money on seminars? 

8 hours ago, Mosess said:

@louhad No matter how much i try ignoring or forgetting about it, that desire is always there. I don't even think its an option to stop seeking. Its everywhere, always in front of me no matter where i am or what i'm doing

I'd leave everything behind and focus on this one thing until I'm done.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

7 hours ago, Mada_ said:

I can totally relate to this. From ages 16-18 I was trying really hard at spirituality. I had a few mystical experiences, and probably dipped into once or twice (nothing serious).

I think this was a total waste of time. The way I practised, I thought I had to immediately cut myself off from everyone, I assumed studying at school was existentially less significant than consciousness work so I didn't focus on it. I don't think spiritual work is a waste of time at all, but in my experience if you are not grounded the work is valueless. 

If I were to go back, I would tell myself to take my health in nutrition super seriously, to master learning, time management, purpose, healthy relaxation etc. Sadghuru is said to have stayed in the woods overnight, and drink the honey out of beehives survive, literally as a child, spent years in the gym before he found his Guru, he was and is a tough cookie. Are you a tough cookie? Not in a macho way, but if you spiral into a deeply suicidal rut, do you have the adequate understanding of your psychology to work through it? 

Can i ask what your mystical experiences were like?

Eh you can find 15 year olds that have less superficial interests than your 20 year old friends.

Also be aware of the ego trap in spiritual work. You are not better than others because you are more aware. You are not separate. Learn to master your emotions. Be aware of fragmentation happening, this is the ego at work.

Next, many people that are into spirituality early on, you may find have some deep wounds to heal. There is nothing wrong with that. Just see where these people might be stuck. You'll want to integrate all stages. For example are you already financialy independent, or have plans on how to do it?

Lastly, having fun and being good at socializing will help you in so many ways. Allow some time in your life where you can be light hearted and not serious.

❤️

@Mosess I had the same sort of awakening when I was 17 (now 21). I had friends which I needed to get rid of just the same is with you. It is all about making choices. 

I had to part ways with people so close to me but I had a thought in my mind, "If someone goes from your life, someone who is way better will replace him/her permanently"...

...& that happened I found my wife, who is way better and important than all those people I lost during my awakening. 

Do NOT change because of your friends or anyone else you will eventually find people who vibe same as you do.

Hope that makes sense

Much love & Infinite respect to you

20 hours ago, Mosess said:

Can i ask what your mystical experiences were like?

Sure. 

Sober: 

- walking through nature, I've felt like the barriers between my individual self and reality collapse (feeling the oneness)

- walking accross a bridge, and I felt that my eyesockets were a lense of reality observing itself. 

Psychedelic experiences: 

- looking at my hands, it being almost obvious that reality is not physical 

- It being crystal clear that there is no separation between my individual experience and reality. Having trouble grasping who I am

You should live a balanced life. Keep doing your spiritual practices, but also make time for play and spending time with your friends and family. You can do both! And who knows, maybe one day they may take an interest or you'll meet new people who do.

Edited by EternalForest