Epikur

Why children should work

48 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura kids are just like society, they grow in stages just like spiral dynamics.

They’re born completely selfish and narcissistic. They have a red period, then a blue period, orange (when they want to start getting allowances, and building lemon stands). Then you teach honesty and to think about others, so they can finally can be green and beyond. 

As a parent we have to manage each stage accordingly. 

I really don’t know how people are supposed to teach a selfish little child (which all of them are) to “think freely”. That’s for adults. 

5 minutes ago, Jennjenn said:

That’s for adults.

Ha!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

We are supposed to vote for the Democrats but we are not allowed to teach children cleaning?

Is cleaning conservative?

Edited by Epikur

Do whatever you want.

I was just pointing out indoctrination.

You guys are so touchy. Geez.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do whatever you want.

I was just pointing out indoctrination.

You guys are so touchy. Geez.

Hahahahahaha ??

"But Leo!!! How am I supposed to live if you take away my right to indoctrinate my children????!!! They will be monsters!"

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

How is it not?

Just because the indoctrination is something you consider "positive" doesn't make it any less indoctrination.

They are cleaning because the adults told them to clean and are giving them awards in returns. They are not understanding why what they are doing is a necessity as they are only doing it to be seen as "good" by the adults and therefore feel good. It's similar to a religious indoctrination where someone likes to read to the Bible or Quran because he/she gets rewarded by society.

A proper way to make them clean consciously would be to let them make the mistake of not cleaning anything and be in a very dirty place that could be dangerous. That way they would not just clean mechanically, but because their mind would comprehend the necessity of cleaning.

I guess that's what you mean by positive indoctrination.

@Leo Gura monsters, indeed lol 

kids, like any others, have free will. At the end of the day the can rebel and do whatever they want. It happens all the time. 

I think kids should ponder around to find what gravitates and interests them and develop their skills while we guide them on their picked path. Sort take a step back and have them figure it out on their own while we help them and help them with it. Like being there but not forcing ideals into them. Teach kids to grow into into adults. From holding their hands less and less. Till they just soar like a bird. 

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

Children should be taught to wash their dishes and take out the trash, at least. I know plenty of uneducated adults who think "mommy" (wife, husband, other people) should clean up after them. This is not cool. But too much work doesn't sound ok either. Kids should be allowed to enjoy their childhood.

Indoctrination is screwing nuts and bolts into someone's head, while the opposite is free learning, curiosity etc. When i think of the opposite i think of a kid with a map of the land and he can travel wherever he wants to explore, create, etc.

So this example is clearly indoctrination

Edited by DreamScape

Genesis 27:27-29

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, and having a kid with a free mind is also exhausting.

"Mommy, if God exists, who created God?"

"Don't ask stupid questions, sweetie. Just pray to baby Jesus."

The purpose of all indoctrination is to make life easier for those in power.

damn !!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@DreamScape

Well every child learns the same language. I don't think things would work out if the child could decide if it wants to learn the language of his country.

Though you could say that is indoctrination. Or go further let him give the chance to do its peeing in his bed. Allow everything. Let him play with fire.

Edited by Epikur

43 minutes ago, Epikur said:

Well every child learns the same language. I don't think things would work out if the child could decide if it wants to learn the language of his country.

Though you could say that is indoctrination. Or go further let him give the chance to do its peeing in his bed. Allow everything. Let him play with fire.

Language looks more like a tool that we give to children from my perspective. It's so basic that considering it being indoctrination doesn't apply in this case, but telling a kid to not use bad words would be indoctrination similarly to cleaning classrooms.

Do not teach kids to clean. Teach then to visualize and imagine, to manifest. That's true empowering. Watch Leo's video about raising Rockstar kids. 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Jennjenn Teach manifestation. Kids will find their own work after that.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Jennjenn I do not know what you mean by word: Romantic. Of course raising kids, like any other subject is complex. I just talked about one point. To be honest I did not even read the full post. Imagination is God. That’s it. Hope it was helpful. You are smart, you understand the situation. Good luck. 

A more conscious way would be. If you don’t clean things will get dirty and that is problematic, but ultimately you are responsible for tidying the mess you make, if you don’t want to clean it, fine but don’t expect me as an adult to clean it up for you. and observe the consequences to your actions, if you don’t like them than cleaning is a good solution, If you do, than not cleaning works best for you. Some children are naturally more orderly yea most of it is parents teachings but I think it somewhat natural too, I don’t mind a mess but I prefer things clean as well, I think most children would naturally gravitate towards cleaning things eventually after observation  but a lot of children don’t mind a mess, in that sense it is indoctrination because you’re teaching them a behavior that goes against their ability to make a choice and learn from it from their own experience. I’m glad I was raised in the way I stated above, never pressure to do chores but naturally observing the benefits of doing them.