Spiral Wizard

Narcissists vs Sociopaths vs Psychopaths

53 posts in this topic

That blog post is so interesting. 

Definitely reminded me of the Nightcrawler and the new Joker movie.

Have you ever encountered a narcissist, sociopath, or psychopath? What was your experience? 

Also, does narcissism occur on all stages of the spiral? 

Any other thoughts on that topic?

Edited by Spiral Wizard

"The journey never ends, the point of arrival is always now." 

18 minutes ago, Spiral Wizard said:

Have you ever encountered a narcissist, sociopath, or psychopath? What was your experience?

My dads a narcissist. Or atleast has a majority of the traits. 

Narcissism is probably more through Red-Blue-Orange, but you have to understand narcissists only care about themselves 100% so its really hard to use the model of development on them, they cant really be "cured", so whats the point in using a development model on them. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I have a step sister who is 14 and she likes to talk about murder, death, and suffering at the dinner table. She has very little empathy, superficial charm, is manipulative, egocentric, hard to get along with. She used to frequently throw severe temper tantrums when she was younger. Her biological dad had similar traits (he died a couple of years ago from a drug overdose). She has an older brother who lacks these traits. He is very friendly and considerate of others. They both have a loving mother, so it seems to point towards a biological predisposition rather than social conditioning.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

I had a bunch of rabbits that always would mysteriously die.

Lol

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

When I was 7 years old I had a bunny.

Then I went on a 2 week vacation while my aunt was supposed to take care of my bunny.

When I came back they told me she left him outside in the sun in his cage and he died.

12 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

Oh no how could she be so forgetful?  Bringing an animal in when it's too hot outside of such a common-sense thing to do.  I guess some people don't care as much because they aren't like dogs or cats.  What happened when you got home how did you respond and how did she respond did she apologize to you?

My dad broke the news to me and I cried a lot.

Never spoke to her about it.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

When I was 7 years old I had a bunny.

Then I went on a 2 week vacation while my aunt was supposed to take care of my bunny.

When I came back they told me she left him outside in the sun in his cage and he died.

Well that explains your hard feeling toward rabbits. 

@Keyhole I had two, the first was male and he was super friendly and awesome, the second was female and she was a bit mean. He lived a really long time but she died of some sort of seizure or heart attack, I was there, it was the strangest thing. 

@Spiral Wizard I've met a few but always felt that it's just driven by psychological suffering at its core. It's a specific way of dealing with that suffering they tend toward that is very inconvenient for others. But still, suffering. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

our neighbours had rabbits, we went feeding them dandelions once in a while with their grand children. when he walked over with the axe we knew we had to go playing on the other side of the house...we basically lived vegetarian.

My grandparents had a rabbit farm. By the time I was born they had eaten all the rabbits so I had none to play with.

Yeah, the dissonance as a kid of eating a rabbit pate, yet thinking, "but those were our cute rabbits".

Or the chickens running around without heads. :P But that's not sociopathic in any sense, that's just living in the countryside.

xD Oooh! oooh! I have a bizarre story about rabbits too! xD Last year I found this place in the woods where I started getting insights so I kept going there frequently to meditate. One day last summer I went there and a fox had killed a white rabbit, fur was everywhere and just its foot was left. Lucky sign? :S

Are thread derailers narcissists? o.O

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

2 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Are thread derailers narcissists? o.O

is home slaughtery sociopathic?

factory farming is so much cleaner!o.O

"One day Narcissus was walking in the woods when Echo, an Oread (mountain nymph) saw him, fell deeply in love, and followed him. Narcissus sensed he was being followed and shouted "Who's there?". Echo repeated "Who's there?" She eventually revealed her identity and attempted to embrace him. He stepped away and told her to leave him alone. She was heartbroken and spent the rest of her life in lonely glens until nothing but an echo sound remained of her. 

Nemesis (as an aspect of Aphrodite[4]), the goddess of revenge, noticed this behaviour after learning the story and decided to punish Narcissus. Once, during the summer, he was getting thirsty after hunting, and the goddess lured him to a pool where he leaned upon the water and saw himself in the bloom of youth. Narcissus did not realize it was merely his own reflection and fell deeply in love with it, as if it were somebody else. Unable to leave the allure of his image, he eventually realized that his love could not be reciprocated and he melted away from the fire of passion burning inside him, eventually turning into a gold and white flower." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_(mythology)

So in the end, Narcissus becomes the secret of the golden flower. Enlightened. It's not a sad ending, at all, it's a happy one. 

21 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

Good I don't want you to ever forget that.  Ever.

You're kind of a dick.

@Keyhole I am just being humorous.

abusive ex partners murder their pets

I didn't laugh at that. I laughed at a bunch of rabbits mysteriously dying.

14 hours ago, Rilles said:

Narcissism is probably more through Red-Blue-Orange, but you have to understand narcissists only care about themselves 100% so its really hard to use the model of development on them, they cant really be "cured", so whats the point in using a development model on them. 

narcissism can have different colours, my dad has a red/blue/green coding - the point about coding a personality disorder, is that it may help to realize if people you know have serious issues. if you encounter red in someone, the person often has some kind of personality disorder or is a victim of such, treatable or not. if you grew up with a problematic parent you can for example also start to understand the problem from a more distant perspective it’s easier to handle the behavior if you see through the actual behavior while meeting them. or also to understand your own reactions and shadow aspects.

codependency sometimes also means there is some kind of don‘t talk about it spell on the side of the codependent to the abuser.

33 minutes ago, remember said:

narcissism can have different colours, my dad has a red/blue/green coding - the point about coding a personality disorder, is that it may help to realize if people you know have serious issues. if you encounter red in someone, the person often has some kind of personality disorder or is a victim of such, treatable or not. if you grew up with a problematic parent you can for example also start to understand the problem from a more distant perspective it’s easier to handle the behavior if you see through the actual behavior while meeting them. or also to understand your own reactions and shadow aspects.

codependency sometimes also means there is some kind of don‘t talk about it spell on the side of the codependent to the abuser.

Unfortunately narcissists are so stuck in their paradigm that they cant even see they have a problem, they were so wounded in childhood that they lost a part of themselves they will never retrieve, self-awareness and empathy for others. Its kind of like losing limb as a child, you can wish and wish but that limb is gone and they will have to live with that. Not everyone can change, life dont work like that, its not black and white. 

I can see from his perspective but I wont try to help him, distance is the only way. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

36 minutes ago, Rilles said:

I can see from his perspective but I wont try to help him, distance is the only way. 

yes, in a lot of cases that’s the only way, at least until you can handle it - and then the time frame in which you expose yourself to toxicity is also relevant, resiliency is like a protective shield which at some point gives in (or gets thinner). my parents live together so i mainly go help my mom, the codependent who gets the most of it - but my dad also has a side to him which is likable, so i also try to help him to correct his worldview a little, so maybe its the green about my dad which makes his case a little different.

the thing is of course, personality traits are existing and some of them are maybe not healable, but i‘m sure it’s possible even for narcissists to work on themselves, better even if they accept a diagnosis (which in a lot of cases is the point where either society or they themself go into denial)

Edited by remember