TheSomeBody

is ritalin is bad?

26 posts in this topic

started to take ritalin because of uni, pretty much afraid that it will fuck me up. i know that it cosider to be safe but i dont really know

have ADHD? click here if you want to treat it

Its a dopamine reuptake inhibitor so helps with steady focus and steady attention...same as heroin just milder and less toxic. That in itself raises a potential red flag of severe withdrawal once you stop taking it...but doesn't have to, Adderal does. Also you need to be careful if you take other supplements or drugs these things contraindicated with many things. 

Have you been diagnosed with ADHD? 

Edited by Michael569

Health Blog - Educational deep-dives each month 

Instagram - Easily digestible info on men's health, chronic disease, longevity and nutrition. 

Feel free to reach out for a confidential discussion about a health issue you are currently struggling with  

You mean you take ritalin non-prescribed?

From what Ive read its not worth it for most people to only take it to increase focus. As it has negative side-effects which are bad for focus in general. How is your experience?

On 4.5.2020 at 8:05 PM, Michael569 said:

Its a dopamine reuptake inhibitor so helps with steady focus and steady attention...same as heroin just milder and less toxic. That in itself raises a potential red flag of severe withdrawal once you stop taking it...but doesn't have to, Adderal does. Also you need to be careful if you take other supplements or drugs these things contraindicated with many things. 

Have you been diagnosed with ADHD? 

i dont have any withdrawal . 
i have
the only thing that i am afraid is long term damage

15 hours ago, universe said:

You mean you take ritalin non-prescribed?

From what Ive read its not worth it for most people to only take it to increase focus. As it has negative side-effects which are bad for focus in general. How is your experience?

i am prescrived.
it is pretty nice, i can even eat with it . alittle bit zombie but thats it

Meth for kids, yes it will fuck you up.

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

i was a ritalin addicted and i guarantee you that with time it will get your brain vicious and doped

Why are you using Ritalin? Why not get a healthy diet going, together with regular sleep, exercise and meditation? 

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

16 hours ago, TheSomeBody said:

i dont have any withdrawal . 
i have
the only thing that i am afraid is long term damage

Yes, the long term addiction is definitely a concern.  This is same when people take antidepressants that work on serotonin reuptake inhibition. They work but once you cut them, you can expect severe withdrawal. 

If you are looking for natural dopamine spikes first of all look into your lifestyle. Cut out all garbage processed sugary foods. I know for students it is not easy due to limited budget and time but see what you can do to cook your own meals. Eat a variety of plant-based foods including fruits vegetables and legumes to make sure your body has enough building blocks to be able to create all neurotransmitters it needs. Nutrient deficiencies can create neurotransmitter bottleneck where your body can't produce as much as it needs and this shows in mood changes, anxieties and lack of effortless attention.  A lot of processed foods (pizzas, biscuits, deliveries etc) have chemicals such as msg in a theme that act on your dopamine receptors and your glutamate receptors basically giving you pleasurable stimulation. 

Cutting out Instagram, video games and video binging to detox your mind will definitely help. More reading and less watching. 

Exercise is a natural stimulator of endorphins and dopamine in a healthy way. So it exposure to sunshine. 

If you need to work on your concentration, consider activities that get you in the flow and that naturally absorb your attention effortlessly such as: meditation, practising tai-chi, taking martial art classes, doing something like painting, drawing, dancing, conducting music, pottery, photography, musical instrument, stargazing, birdwatching, treahugging whatever seems to be the right thing for you. Don't rely on chemical alteration, that's gonna backfire on your really bad. Nofap may also help to resist neurotic desire to masturbate when one is bored or stressed. 

If you want any herbal alternatives, green tea and tulsi are a nice combinations, some adaptogens may also be helpful. 

Edited by Michael569

Health Blog - Educational deep-dives each month 

Instagram - Easily digestible info on men's health, chronic disease, longevity and nutrition. 

Feel free to reach out for a confidential discussion about a health issue you are currently struggling with  

4 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Yes, the long term addiction is definitely a concern.  This is same when people take antidepressants that work on serotonin reuptake inhibition. They work but once you cut them, you can expect severe withdrawal. 

If you are looking for natural dopamine spikes first of all look into your lifestyle. Cut out all garbage processed sugary foods. I know for students it is not easy due to limited budget and time but see what you can do to cook your own meals. Eat a variety of plant-based foods including fruits vegetables and legumes to make sure your body has enough building blocks to be able to create all neurotransmitters it needs. Nutrient deficiencies can create neurotransmitter bottleneck where your body can't produce as much as it needs and this shows in mood changes, anxieties and lack of effortless attention.  A lot of processed foods (pizzas, biscuits, deliveries etc) have chemicals such as msg in a theme that act on your dopamine receptors and your glutamate receptors basically giving you pleasurable stimulation. 

Cutting out Instagram, video games and video binging to detox your mind will definitely help. More reading and less watching. 

Exercise is a natural stimulator of endorphins and dopamine in a healthy way. So it exposure to sunshine. 

If you need to work on your concentration, consider activities that get you in the flow and that naturally absorb your attention effortlessly such as: meditation, practising tai-chi, taking martial art classes, doing something like painting, drawing, dancing, conducting music, pottery, photography, musical instrument, stargazing, birdwatching, treahugging whatever seems to be the right thing for you. Don't rely on chemical alteration, that's gonna backfire on your really bad. Nofap may also help to resist neurotic desire to masturbate when one is bored or stressed. 

If you want any herbal alternatives, green tea and tulsi are a nice combinations, some adaptogens may also be helpful. 

my diet is pretty much great and i get more than enough . i eat like 7-9 types of veggies/fruits a day

i dont play but i use facebook and instegram , mainly facebook because i like to see memes.

i do exercise, take vitamine d and go to the sun.

i am doing meditation for two years now.  i might try to sing, see how thats going.
tried no fap before, it do nothing for me...
i am trying to use l-tyrosine  for now, maybe it will help. all the herbal alternative that i read people say that it do nothing or helps allitle bit or helps for a month

6 hours ago, Shiva99 said:

Why are you using Ritalin? Why not get a healthy diet going, together with regular sleep, exercise and meditation? 

im doing it already. it helps but it is not a solution

17 hours ago, Verdesbird said:

i was a ritalin addicted and i guarantee you that with time it will get your brain vicious and doped

i used ritalin in highschool for 2.5 years and havnt got any damage but i dont really sure about still using it

19 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

Meth for kids, yes it will fuck you up.

how?

@TheSomeBody Its going to have a strong effect on your neurochemistry. Like I alluded to, we aren't talking a minor effect, chemically it is extremely similar (I think almost identical if I remember correctly) to meth. In theory, if you are able to get off of it when needed it won't fuck you up per say, but that is going to be easier said than done adjusting to life without it, that would be my assumption depending on the dosage you take. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

14 hours ago, TrynaBeTurquoise said:

@TheSomeBody Its going to have a strong effect on your neurochemistry. Like I alluded to, we aren't talking a minor effect, chemically it is extremely similar (I think almost identical if I remember correctly) to meth. In theory, if you are able to get off of it when needed it won't fuck you up per say, but that is going to be easier said than done adjusting to life without it, that would be my assumption depending on the dosage you take. 

i dont really know how i supposed to do it in uni... it is pretty hard to learn without it.
but i dont take it like a meth addicted person would do, i take 7.5 mg ir twice a day . to get high on this stuff i need to snort it and get much bigger dose

It's probably safer than Adderall, and definitely safer than meth, but I'd try to avoid it if you can. It's addictive and can cause long term neurological damage and reshape your brain's reward centers.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

13 hours ago, outlandish said:

It's probably safer than Adderall, and definitely safer than meth, but I'd try to avoid it if you can. It's addictive and can cause long term neurological damage and reshape your brain's reward centers.

i dont really feel addiction to it. i just preffer it because it easier to deal with my symptoms, but after i stop for 2-3 days i pretty much fine and i remember my ways to deal with my adhd.

i dont really know how can i avoid it, it is so helpful for university.  i really tried almost evey solution but ritalin is the best

5 hours ago, Keyhole said:

I would look into other ways to regain focus.  I have the same issue, hard time concentrating and found Adderall to be very helpful, but got very addicted to it and had to quit.  These meds are not good for your body at all, they mess with the body's ability to rest properly, they can cause your hair to fall out prematurely, they are bad for your teeth, you can get wrinkles earlier in life, it messes with circulation, can aggravate heart issues, they are bad for your appetite - you need to drink extra water while on them (this is for Adderall, but it might be the same for Ritalin you'd have to look into it)

If you absolutely need to stay on it for school, keep it to a minimum, and plan to get off as soon as you are able.

I've witnessed people on these sorts of meds, and speed, uppers in general - and the personality changes are quite severe.  They think they are doing fine, but if you have preexisting issues with aggression these meds will wake those up.

I remember trying Ritalin for a few days and I felt the most uncomfortable feeling of agitated fury in my mind.  I couldn't stand it, it was so horrible.  Worse than Adderall.  I was only on these meds for 6 months and did not get any of the side effects other than circulation issues, which is why I quit - so glad I did.

Stay safe.

do you have other ways?

i mean i can try other stuff but it take so much time and money. i had some success with l-tryptophan but it is not good enough.

i use a small amount 7.5 mg ir . and i dont have any issues with aggression.

really? ritalin is great for me. i feel calm, i can eat with it, doesnt do stuff with my heart... just makes me poop more often and the down isnt fun

58 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

I'm still trying to figure it out tbh, I have a pretty severe executive functioning problem, so I can't really in good faith offer you advice that has worked for me personally.  I have tried various things and they have not worked, but did help a little bit - but not enough of a change to say that it would get someone through school easily.
I think you would also have to factor in if trying new methods during this time would make school more difficult for you; would it make more sense for you to take the Ritalin until you are done with school?  What career are you looking for afterwards, will the career require the same amount of attention, and thus would you have to remain on it after you graduate?  How many more years do you have left of school?  Questions like these.  Make a list and weigh your options, the pros and cons of staying on or going off and do what makes the most sense to you.

This stuff is fine short term, but it really isn't healthy to take it long term.  As in years and years.

I wouldn't make any snap decisions based on what people say online, but be sure to continue to do your research and in your own free time, try building for yourself a system that can help you succeed in life without needing these meds.  I would talk to the person who is prescribing you the meds what they suggest to do as well - also talk to a doctor i.e your PCP, and whatever advice/info you gather, build that up and create a plan.  There's some pretty good advice here from Michael to get you started.  You can do a little bit over time, and then slowly taper off when you feel confident.  Let the person who prescribes you this med and your doctor know your concerns as well.

i am looking to be a researcher about perception (for now probably in cognition)  because it is my passion and my adhd can do wonders with connectinh stuff and reseaching . just starter uni so for the degree i got about 2+ years and probably i will go for a master, maybe in the master i will need less ritalin because i would learn more about stuff that i want .

for what i know doctors in my country are pretty much just know that people with adhd needs is sports and adhd meds so it wouldnt be so helpful.

would you recommend me to try adderal or should i just stay on ritalin? 

On 07/05/2020 at 1:34 PM, TheSomeBody said:

i was at 90mg ritalin

serious vicious stuff ,even if you dont reconize it (it dont reconize cos your brain got doped)

Pretty good advice above.

Just my 2 cents:

Been there, done that. Learned some lessons. I wouldn't do it again.

Healthy diet and psychedelics helped much much more. But if you think you are feeling so bad you cannot even do any changes then it would be cool to take some stimulants to kickstart the process.

Some systems thinking for you:

If you insert a crutch into a system to solve a problem, the system should be able to solve the problems in time to remove the assistance. If not, the system may start to adapt and the problem may get even harder to solve.

Edited by Espaim

13 hours ago, Espaim said:

Pretty good advice above.

Just my 2 cents:

Been there, done that. Learned some lessons. I wouldn't do it again.

Healthy diet and psychedelics helped much much more. But if you think you are feeling so bad you cannot even do any changes then it would be cool to take some stimulants to kickstart the process.

Some systems thinking for you:

If you insert a crutch into a system to solve a problem, the system should be able to solve the problems in time to remove the assistance. If not, the system may start to adapt and the problem may get even harder to solve.

i can do changes but i cant focus in uni.

how psychedelics will help me?

19 hours ago, Keyhole said:

@TheSomeBody I relate to the ability to connect things together.  If you're looking for concentration over a long period of time with less pills, extended release Adderall would be the best option of those two choices; there might be other better options out there but I have not tried them.  Adderall XR works slower, less of a high, but is more consistent throughout the day. Only take it in the morning though or you might be up all night.

Watch for signs such as heart palpitations and racing, circulation issues, low appetite, not drinking enough water, not sleeping enough, anger, anxiety, hair loss, impulsive decisions - all the stuff that comes with uppers.

i just take ritalin two times a day because i like to do meditation and then i gain some energy.there is  ritalin la that is works for 10 hours

50 minutes ago, TheSomeBody said:

i can do changes but i cant focus in uni.

Sorry? You can change your core habits but it's still hard to focus on your studies? 

I didn't get what you are saying.

50 minutes ago, TheSomeBody said:

how psychedelics will help me?

See through your own bullshiting. I bullshitted myself into thinking I couldn't concentrate. The truth was I was so fucking full of repressed emotions and victim mindset that it was hard to keep my own bullshiting and study. I had to drop one.

Not saying that you don't have a real neurotransmitter problem. But for me, I was just bullshitting myself.

3 hours ago, Espaim said:

Sorry? You can change your core habits but it's still hard to focus on your studies? 

I didn't get what you are saying.

See through your own bullshiting. I bullshitted myself into thinking I couldn't concentrate. The truth was I was so fucking full of repressed emotions and victim mindset that it was hard to keep my own bullshiting and study. I had to drop one.

Not saying that you don't have a real neurotransmitter problem. But for me, I was just bullshitting myself.

yap, i can change your core habits but it's still hard to focus on your studies

how can i do psycadelics while in uni?