TrynaBeTurquoise

Anyone here considered making an effort to boycott Amazon?

20 posts in this topic

As difficult and futile as this may seem. I think the fact alone that not wanting to use their services but seemingly have no other option in many cases is concerning and encroaching on monopoly territory.

An option that I have seen is before buying on amazon, go to the direct suppliers website and get it there if possible, among others. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

@TrynaBeTurquoise

Why  Boycott Amazon? 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

25 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@TrynaBeTurquoise

Why to Boycott Amazon? 

Treating their workers like crap, preying on smaller businesses, controlling the entire market

https://socialjusticebooks.org/about/why-boycott-amazon/

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

3 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

That's about every corporate company since the beginning of time. 

*facepalm*

Businesses are brutal. Business is brutal. They are predatory. That's how they survive and make their billions. They have to be cut throat. 

Does it mean it's justified? Of course not. 

Almost every company tries to monopolize the market. 

A company only acts nice till it becomes a big player. It's something similar to actors or stars. Once they get big, they charge more and get arrogant. 

That's the rule of law for people who want quick success, quick money. 

The solution? 

We need more green businesses to outdo these businesses. This power lies in the hands of the people. They can create their little businesses and if everyone funds them, they can eventually grow and turn into cooperative societies to feed local people with their needs. This creates a symbiotic relationship between local communities and the business owners. They don't need to clamber for funds. 

I understand the problem of corporate lobbying and distribution interference and monopolizing distribution by the predatory companies like Amazon but this can change if honest politicians are elected, money and campaign money is removed from politics, constitutional amendments made to stop corporations from funding political campaigns or anything political, government restraint on corporations and their trails of money, even distribution for all companies. 

This is an endemic issue. Boycotting might help signal awareness to the public but big changes will need DRAINING THE SWAMP and not just a Boycott. 

These issues need a systemic upheaval, from grassroots to the top, eliminating corruption, people participation, making elites powerless, hijacking the power mafia, getting rid of influencers, and supporting honest leaders, and a complete transparency between government and people. 

Such things will need constitutional amends and government force. 

The government itself is corrupt. Too many lobbyists. It's like trying to solve the problem using what is causing the problem. Trying to fix a broken system using the system. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Jeff bezos seams woke enough to diserve my respect.

he isn't the problem, he is doing his best with the tools at hands.

slavery is not his invention, do you really think amazon would be that huge without the poor slaves working in it ?

if it wasn't him that would be another company. He is the evolution and one day, his society will be put under chains because of an highest collective consciousness.

I don't believe the guy more bad than steve jobs, and so many people still buy Iphone, knowing kids have been doing it..

90% of western society are based on stealing and exploiting poor countries, never forget that, it's systemic.

we all live on the suffering of slave on the other side of the country, but everyone doesn't give a fuck.

but in the meantime, I don't buy a lot of things on amazon, maybe 6 buy per year maximum.

sound utterly stupid to be against amazon in my perspective. I don't agree with all they are doing, but if jeff bezos could keep having his current power and makes people not being slave, he would do it, I know that as a fact.

dictators are playing their best to push loves, you're too stucked in a green vision of the world. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else.

Amazon seams having push the world toward highest consciousness and healthy orange.

now orange is lesser than green for sure.

@Preety_India nice look upon it, I didn't read your answer before giving mine. yours is more clean ! good job

Edited by GodDesireOnlyLove

I see your issues with Amazon, and I don’t blame you. 

I have to run my businesses through amazon, as they have a huge monopoly on the market, until you grow your own audience as a seller it’s literally impossible to make anywhere near what you can with amazon, I know what I sell really helps people in their lives though, and believe me ive tried with other avenues and it’s like 10% of that of the revenue you van generate with amazon. Although, we are working on building our own store eventually and using FB ads to drive traffic, but even then amazon will still help us get more customers. 

I think what is really needed like the others said, is growth of the system itself, these companies are a product of the system, so as people become more conscious and don’t put up with companies treating staff poorly and what not, these things will slowly be eradicated. But, amazon is essentially the high street of the 21st century, and if you’re a business that doesn’t sell on there, you’re fighting an uphill battle. 

The best thing is at least protest and sign petitions and do everything you can to force a change in the company and structures we face today. 

You also have to remember amazon isn’t 100% evil, think about how much they’ve helped people, no company is perfect and amazon are far from perfect, and I’m sure this decade there will be lots of changes, and I feel we will see more conscious business. But, right now I know at least for me boycotting amazon just isn’t an option, the pros far outweigh the cons, and I know I’m coming from a biased position as a seller, but Amazon have helped me help lots of people with my business and I wouldn’t have the life I have without this platform! 

At the end of the day, you could investigate everything we own/ wear and track it back to somewhere terrible, we need a shake up of the system and I think it is coming, although all great change takes time! 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

3 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

until you grow your own audience as a seller it’s literally impossible to make anywhere near what you can with amazon

Wrong, master Facebook ads, and you'll see the power of what you can achieve on your own. 

Amazon seller's don't hit numbers close to those of Facebook marketers. 

They're definitely more reliable in the long term, but not so much profit-wise. 

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk Oh yeah in the E-Commerce game for sure. 

I’m talking publishing, the new company I’ve just started will be venturing off into our own Shopify store eventually as we will sell online courses and other products, however, using amazon as a base to gain customers and funnel into our email list is the best way for us to start. 

Remember Amazon basically own the book market these days, I know of one guy who runs FB ads to his store and sells a 3 book bundle at $38, and even then half the comments are saying just go get this on amazon as they have better shipping times etc, it’s not as easy in the book world! 

And, then with audio books, ACX are far and away the biggest market and they are owned by.....Amazon. I’m testing another distributor now but from what I’ve seen from other results it’s best used only in competitive niches where you get flooded on ACX.

Bro, I had no idea you was so into business, I could talk about this all day, everyday, I’ll PM you. 

P.S. we could then go into the ethics of Facebook lol and how they are literally listening to what you say and taking whatever data they want etc, no company is perfect sadly. We do live in an orange society after all, sadly.

Edited by LfcCharlie4

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 Yeah I could see how that would make a difference since it's books and courses.

Facebook has a really specific audience and a specific type of product/marketing-angles that works best. 

Have you guys thought of shooting YouTube ads, promoting your business that way?

Pinterest is also a hidden gem, not utilized by many. 

Edited by fridjonk

@fridjonk Yeah man, this is a niche that’s huge but virtually untouched by anyone with any marketing skills. 

Eventually we will likely hire someone who is an expert and has a YT channel to shoot an incredible course and use YT ads to then market the course as well as the audience we will have by then. Kind of similar to what Alex Becker used to do, just not in the dropshipping niche lol, or any form of Make money online. 

YT & FB Ads will be great for getting people to sign up for our webinar to the course eventually, that’s just a long time away yet, we could even use whoever created the courses YT subs potentially, but if not it will be extremely easy to target as there’s literally 1000s of YT channels in this niche. 

And, yeah the issue with books is the price per lead, but this will be an 8-12 book series, so we will run a long arse email sequence once the customer signs up for the list either through our lead magnet or from the products, as all 8 books will help them further. 

Sorry went on a bit of a tangent, but yes we will be using FB and YT soon, just Amazon and Amazon Ads are also incredible for building the brand and generating sales, not sure if Amazon Ads Ads as good in e commerce? 

@LfcCharlie4 Awesome man, you guys will be doing great in the future. Conscious business all the way baby! ;)

12 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

not sure if Amazon Ads Ads as good in e commerce? 

Amazon is a whole beast in and of itself. It's actually closer to a search engine than an "online marketplace". 

It's more expensive and yields less profits for those who are doing mediocre. But the top dogs there make a killing and have usually transcended to a big brand by then. 

But from what I've seen, you don't have to rely on Amazon at all, but I don't know about books, you seem to have that figured out. But you know what they say, no author makes a living off his books. So I hope you have some great other content planned out. ^_^

The Amazon Ecosystem is a little more dynamic than what meets your eyes.

Created an FBA business back in 2018. Started selling in early 2019.  

It's hard to really control the growth of Amazon because there are 1000's of entrepreneurs trying to start businesses on Amazon everyday. The competition and risk is insane for most of the products. However, the return on investment is unheard of.

I joined the Amazing Selling Machine back in 2018 which is the top course for Amazon. An expensive one to join (~$5000). Also attended the Sellercon event in Las Vegas this past year with 100's of other people. Really opened my eyes to how this machine works from a business owners perspective. Let alone hearing the perspectives from people all around the world that came to this event. At the event they did discuss Concious Leadership. Sadly, most people are more focused on generating profits instead of marketing being more concious. Feeding peoples biases and needs instead of spreading truth. 

Honestly, my business was created with a focus on mindfulness and awareness. The business products focus on coffee/tea. I wanted to communicate a story that we should slow down as a society. Instead of how most americans rush out the door mindlessly. That we should really become more introspective and aware of how we are living. Communicating higher conciousness and marketing to people that are like-minded. Also, I've spent a decent bit on hiring people for projects.. Spent hundreds of dollars on photographers, webdesigners, marketing company, graphic designers.. So in someways it creates opportunties of others.  

Amazon is making a killing with the advertising system they having going on.. Inorder to compete on Amazon it's all about Converstion rates & getting ranked on the search engine. The A9 search engine calculates crazy algirithums to rank people.. The amount of money the businesses spend on Ads and the converstion percentages.. So inorder to really compete the business owner has to have enough money for advertising or some source of traffic or a popular product. Amazon loves to keep everything on it's platform too. Feeding it more money to gain a stronger postion. Amazon has multiple massive streams of income but also wants to see external sources generating leads.. 

Really the main concern I have with Amazon is how they are catoring more towards China. Considering most of the inventory in the fulfillment centers are sourced from China predominently. Since labor costs are so cheap there. The factories that make the inventory are competing directly on Amazon. Why sell to a 3rd party when you can have the lowest cost to make the product? Makes it much more difficult to compete with someone when they can source a product directly to a fulfillment center for a dollar cheaper per unit. So why have a middle man when they can control the whole process? Amazon is willing to help anyone that helps it grow. Let alone how ruthless some of the sellers overseas can be with blackhat marketing methods. It's a crazy game to deal with competing in the US. Let alone how the Amazon customer support is towards sellers.

In regards to the business ethics side.. With small businesses being impacted.. I think innovation is the name of the game in business. Unless other small businesses can come up with a similiar system that is as fast and affordable.. Unless consumers are willing to pay more for something that was also probably also from china too. Really difficult to find affordable items in America because the cost of manufacturing the item is too expensive. There wouldn't be enough demand to meet the high cost of supply. 

Other thing I'm curious about is AI. With autochat robots such as "Manychat" becoming more popular we will see this integrated in the process of Facebook/instagram. That was one of the big topics at Sellercon. 

As for the way the employees are treated and the conditions it's really hard to say because it depends per country and per the exact fulfillment center. That could be partially true. However, if we're talking about Amazon.UK then the fulfillment centers are likely slower and relaxing to work at. People in the UK aren't as hungry consumers as us shopaholic Americans. Nowww... In high dense locations I'm sure the working conditions should justify higher pay and things might be more chaotic. Such as being near a massive city. I'm sure you can look at the locations of fulfillment centers and see the impact it has on the local trucking companies & the road systems. Where as in low density locations the employees should be accomidated for the conditions. Personally I have no clue on that aspect of Amazon.. I have talked to some employees that work for Amazon and have heard reasonable hourly pay. Depends on a couple variables.. Now idealistically, it would be nice if all employees were getting paid equally..

I do think it would be interesting if employees received shares of equity rather than being paid with hourly. Such as employees receiving the option to receive micro shares & of ownership based on percentage of contribution towards growth. Receiving dividends in perpitutity. However I think it's hard to measure this kind of stuff. Investing time into a company vs captial. It's alot harder to measure time and distrbute things fairly.  

Personally, I wish there was more of a interpersonal relationship side with businesses and customers. Seems like as businesses get bigger it's harder to know who to trust or what to trust. Let alone the equity side that capitalism should be sharing wealth. The people that generate the vast amounts of wealth should be more transparent and held accountable for how they are contributing to society. Instead of gratifying one's own selfish ego. It's really hard to communicate this stuff. 

Edited by Ethan1

@fridjonk Haha man you’ll be surprised these days with books, but like any other business it’s about creating a brand and story customers can relate to and want to come back for more! 

I know fiction “authors” making 7 figures+ and even non fiction guys making close to 7 figures off of like 8 books, so it can be done, just depends how much work and branding efforts you do! 

And, yeah amazon ads are pretty amazing for books, so I just wondered if it was the same for Products. 

@Ethan1 Brilliant read thank you man, and it’s great to see fellow conscious people attempting to run businesses, it’s certainly what we need! 

I wish you the best of luck with your business, has Covid effected it at all? 

And, I agree amazon is an ever evolving beast that we truly need to understand to succeed on, I imagine it’s even more competitive in the product seller niche. You seem like you have a great understanding of the algorithm though! :) 

just for lols,

Amazon also pretty much has the monopoly in the artificial intelligence and computer vision/machine learning realm too. Its far cheaper to make AI tech on amazon servers then on google or microsoft servers. 

Ha.. I just cancelled my prime the other day after so many years. Felt good. 

Voting with your wallet doesn't change the plan of executives and CEOs.

To be fair Amazon already has a book/comic monopoly in America. They should of already been broken up ? 

Edited by Thewritersunion

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~!