Parththakkar12

Life Purpose vs Relationships

11 posts in this topic

What do spiritual people mean when they say 'You should choose your life purpose over having good relationships'?

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Hmm, I don't know! Seems like they go together to me.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Relationships by their very nature are a distraction, think about it, you're most likely going in because you want something from this person, sex, love, companionship, whatever but the other person has there own wants and needs. If you love them of course you want to fulfill these needs for them but in doing so you sacrifice something, time, energy etc. So essentially you've got to work out if the things they offer are as valuable to you as your life purpose. 

Of course a higher consciousness relationship would be that they aren't really concerned with you fulfilling any needs of theirs, and things just happen naturally and flow. But it's really rare to find this and in fact your consciousness would have to be at a certain level. Chances are if you feel you need a relationship its not 

Edited by Consept

20 hours ago, Parththakkar12 said:

What do spiritual people mean when they say 'You should choose your life purpose over having good relationships'?

I don't think spiritual people say that. Lots of orange stage people say that because they are obsessed with their careers. Look at the show La La Land, perfect example of an orange stage show that emphasises career over relationships.

Ultimately, life purpose (if done right) is more reliable than relationships. A woman can leave at the blink of an eye, and you will have no way of stopping that. But you have control over your life purpose. You dictate how passionate, or burnt out, you are.

Life purpose can give you things a relationship cannot, such as alturistic and creative satisfaction. On the other hand, relationships can give you things that a life purpose cannot, such as having deep intimacy and emotional connection. Both things are deeply rewarding if done right.

I don't agree relationships are a distraction. They aren't if you get them righ. 

I figured it out. The issue with these people is that they don't believe in their ability to find someone compatible. Their problem isn't really with relationships, it's with incompatibility which comes with it! They don't actually believe compatibility is possible, cuz all they've seen is incompatibility. That's where the thinking of relationships being a distraction from your purpose comes from.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

3 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

I figured it out. The issue with these people is that they don't believe in their ability to find someone compatible. Their problem isn't really with relationships, it's with incompatibility which comes with it! They don't actually believe compatibility is possible, cuz all they've seen is incompatibility. That's where the thinking of relationships being a distraction from your purpose comes from.

yes! When you connect with a woman, you're connecting with yourself, just not realizing it. And people think relationships are a distraction hahaha. 

@electroBeam  This is probably the best thing I've seen you post on here! Well said!

I'd also add to look deeply inside yourself and find out what YOU want from life, don't just do what some teacher told you to do, we are all unique individuals who want different things, some people want to be hermits in Tibet, some want to only work 24/7, some want to be Poly and have 4 GFs at one time like I said It's completely up to you.

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Well, for masculine people, purpose is king. For feminine leaning people, relationships are genuinely more important I think. But then again your purpose could be to be an awesome husband. It's also not like all relationships are the same thing either. A relationship could be holding you back or growing you further, it takes awareness to figure that out.

relationships are a distraction? 

From what? It sounds like these people need to get somewhere. Theres nowhere to get. Life is not a race. The finish line will be your grave. 

Do what you love. Period.

For some people that is meditating in an ashram for 40 years and for some that will be playing video games and drinking beer.

All your personal judgements are coming from your own self biased frame of reference that are based on a multitude of questionable assumptions.

Now what we are interested in with self actualization and personal development work is finding out what you specifically value and find fulfillment in an pursue that. What nourishes your own heart and soul. Not what some guru or your parents told you to do.