SickLuv

Why it seams to me that american don't have any humor

83 posts in this topic

@Preety_India I am Indian, grew up in India, and have had Indians around me all my life. Your reply proved my point.

This is a cool video about political correctness and humor.

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@Eph75 that's your opinion and you're entitled to that.. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India metallverarbeitung is a german word. problems with the key pad - so in some sense now you are channeling the aggression of not knowing what is going on on to me because i try to tell you what the „humor“ trap was. you also discriminate me in the same way you are criticizing you see?

of course this is understandable - because you fell into the bad joke trap before - and now it seems like my unintentional joke is also playing into that.

Edited by remember

1 minute ago, Derek White said:

@Preety_India I am Indian, grew up in India, and have had Indians around me all my life. Your reply proved my point.

This is a cool video about political correctness and humor.

Hard to believe that you are an Indian after reading your name if that's what your name is. But apologies if that's not the case. 

Political correctness is obviously going to be expected given the fact that our country is way more diverse than any other country. So I don't see a problem with political correctness in India. It's kind of justified. 

@remember I did not discriminate you at all. I didn't know that the word was German. So glad you clarified. 

10 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Eph75 that's your opinion and you're entitled to that.. 

Just a friendly observation.

It's easy to miss our blind spots. E.g. you say that Indians don't know how to play victims, but you call out the racist card and want the thread locked while there's no racist content been written, merely observations related to culture and certain humor.

That is playing victim.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

4 minutes ago, Eph75 said:

Just a friendly observation.

It's easy to miss our blind spots. E.g. you say that Indians don't know how to play victims, but you call out the racist card and want the thread locked while there's no racist content been written, merely observations related to culture and certain humor.

That is playing victim.

There is a thinly veiled attack on Indians on this thread. It's racist. When it's racist it needs to be called out. That's all I did.. 

In your eyes it's victim playing. I can't help that. 

To all others on the thread, I made my point clear. I'm not responding to anyone quoting me in this thread. 

You guys can continue with your verbal diarrhea. 

Edited by Preety_India

@Preety_India you know what the most funny part about it was - metallverarbeitung means metalworks O.oxD

it‘s a coincidence which creates humor.

the same way humor can create hurt feelings or sadness - of course humor can be very discriminatory.

Edited by remember

Just now, Preety_India said:

There is a thinly veiled attack on Indians on this thread. It's racist. When it's racist it needs to be called out. That's all I did.. 

In your eyes it's victim playing. I can't help that. 

In India I was having a time building rapport with the local people. After some time I noticed that the local people were being very fiesty to each other, and very rivalish. I then started to act the same. Developed significant rapport with them after that.

This is actually not an attack, but an observation I discovered in India. 

Of course you will spin this to twist it to suit your original message. But I felt the need to point this out, for Truths sake. 

And so "victims" find "thinly veiled attacks" in anything that is touching a for them touchy subject. It's the very definition of the victim role. But I'm sorry, I won't further side-track the discussion. I'd just like to invite you to contemplation on the subject.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

3 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

In India I was having a time building rapport with the local people. After some time I noticed that the local people were being very fiesty to each other, and very rivalish. I then started to act the same. Developed significant rapport with them after that.

This is actually not an attack, but an observation I discovered in India. 

Of course you will spin this to twist it to suit your original message. But I felt the need to point this out, for Truths sake. 

You did not say local people in India and or some people. You said it in a way which implied all people of India 

I can also say all Americans are racist. But that will be stereotyping. Because only some are, not all. 

So my point is valid that it's stereotyping when you simply use the word "Indians" without clarifying on it. Look at your original message on Indians and people from the Middle East. That's clearly stereotyping. 

32 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

I find the humour not necessarily less, but it is definitely different sort of humour.

I actually find the humor less. A lot less. it's also different. Maybe because you are a foreigner they treat you differently lol.

Let say this, India is a diverse country so different groups may have different humor styles.

I find that comedy in Hindi is a lot more physical and tonal (like change in tone of voice), whereas comedy in Punjabi is a lot more verbal (puns and word tricks) and has a confident, alpha male, macho feel to the comedian. 

I think humor is less because in India you have so many serious problems. School is so difficult compared to some other places. People are highly religious too. It's also dealing with ACTUAL racism and poverty, so political correctness is a step in the right direction. There are many things off the table like religion, identity, gender, etc. It makes sense why there is less humor and why non controversial styles are more prevalent.

But overall I strongly feel it's a more serious society compared to North America.

41 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

If I get offended because some people on this thread are insulting my country people and since I'm Indian, I think I have the right to express that I'm offended and indeed Its racism directed to me and the people of my country.. 

You seem to be very attached to your Indian identity, why not letting go of that?

@Raphael I'm not attached. It's your perspective. I have an Indian passport. Should I let go of that too? 

13 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

After some time I noticed that the local people were being very fiesty to each other, and very rivalish.

That's part of being a serious society. A society that is more survival oriented. I love India but there are many reasons we have become more survival oriented. You will find similarities in other societies that are dealing with problems India is dealing with. 

In India you have to be on your guard. You have to be defensive and a bit assertive to resolve conflicts. In Canada it's better to be non-reactive, laugh it off, to take it lightly, or just tell the authorities. There are clearly cultural differences, you can see it in the customer care when you land at the airport. Customer care in India and Canada are poles apart. These are just my observations.

1 minute ago, Preety_India said:

@Raphael I'm not attached. It's your perspective. I have an Indian passport. Should I let go of that too?

Maybe I have the wrong perspective as I don't really know you, but you seemed to be triggered and very reactive. Also, a person can have whatever passport without being attached to its national identity, or let go of it if he/she wants too.

8 minutes ago, Derek White said:

In India you have to be on your guard. You have to be defensive and a bit assertive to resolve conflicts. In Canada it's better to be non-reactive, laugh it off, to take it lightly, or just tell the authorities.

Nothing hones that point down more than when driving in India hahahahahahahahahahaha

6 minutes ago, Raphael said:

Maybe I have the wrong perspective as I don't really know you, but you seemed to be triggered and very reactive. Also, a person can have whatever passport without being attached to its national identity, or let go of it if he/she wants too.

You're not getting my point. Nobody can get rid of their cultural identity especially in a world of racism because you're constantly reminded that you are Indian or you are Chinese wherever you go. That's why political correctness is important because that's the only thing that helps dissolve identities. This can only be achieved if we stop creating barriers by using cultural identity. 

Look at the identity politics in America. It's all about racial identity. Why is race such a heated controversial topic in America if racial identity never mattered? 

If cultural identity never mattered this thread wouldn't have been created in the first place.. 

The only way to let go is when the whole world is ready to let go and call each other humans rather than Indians Chinese Americans etc etc etc. That won't be happening anytime soon. 

I can't live in LaLa land. I have to be realistic. 

So from a realistic perspective, I can't think that if someone said Indian, that's its not a reference to my cultural identity. 

Edited by Preety_India

53 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Hard to believe that you are an Indian after reading your name if that's what your name is. But apologies if that's not the case. 

That's not my name. That's why I chose it, because it is very different from an Indian name. It's kinda funny lol.

2 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

Nothing hones that point down more than when driving in India hahahahahahahahahahaha

Free country.

I'm from India too. Why you guys being racist to my fellow Indians?