SickLuv

Why it seams to me that american don't have any humor

83 posts in this topic

Sarcasm. Black humor. Irony.

Aren't those the more funny way to joke ?

It seams that people take words very litteraly. Like if life was a serious thing all the time. For me in France It's more : are you serious ? 

American / english : why so serious ? Are you aware of it ?

Here in my country for instance we joke and use them to debate around all the time. It's instinct

We ironicly take position of victims or psycho.

We joke all the time. Our favorit humorists talk about War and jews and cannibalism etc... and that is way more funny. We dont have any limit in using 'verbal violent abusive humor'.

Ok some WE have a ton of bad humorist aswell.

Many times I need to insert " I m laughing. I m not serious " if I m speaking to english foreign people.

We enjoy south park kind of humor. But that's the only américan show we watch for fun.

Why so serious then ? 

Most of the time when I translate my humor directly. People think I m agressive. When It's just irony or abusive sarcasm.

A thought ?

Edited by SickLuv

People have just lost their soul, man. I feel like at work a lot of the people are just like zombies most of the time. I used to try and be upbeat and talk and joke with everyone, but after a while I got tired of it. I made a ton of people laugh, but they've all kinda just dragged me down at this point so I keep to myself. I feel the same way with the humor thing - I either come off too strong or whatever sometimes.

3 hours ago, SickLuv said:

Most of the time when I translate my humor directly. People think I m agressive. When It's just irony or abusive sarcasm.

Dark humor doesn't translate very well. It could also be that when you told the jokes, your body language didn't translate so your spoken language spoke English but your body language spoke Spanish, naturally people from other cultures cant pick up the joke then.

Here in my country for instance we joke and use them to debate around all the time. It's instinct

You're from india or the middle east aren't you.

We ironicly take position of victims or psycho.

We joke all the time. Our favorit humorists talk about War and jews and cannibalism etc... and that is way more funny. We dont have any limit in using 'verbal violent abusive humor'.

Yeah, you guys in France literally do that all the time and honestly I liked it when I was living there! But most people in the world would not understand that as most of the world is at stage blue.

I tried it in my native country and people were shocked. I saw it happening to some other persons who use irony a lot, others would think that they are racists and have bad intentions.

From my limited point of view Americans are the funniest people I can think of. I didn't know French were funnier. 

Indians have very little sense of humor in my experience. It's very serious there and I'm not exaggerating. They also censor "hate" speech much more than other countries I believe. It's just considered rude socially to make jokes and to even criticize people's religions, cultures, identity etc.  

I think part of it has to do with diversity and political correctness. If you have a diverse country naturally the people tend to be more politically correct in order to appear more respectful. it also has to do with spiral dynamic stages. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

@electroBeam  are you seriously stereotyping all the people from India and from the Middle East. That is so sick dude.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

18 minutes ago, Derek White said:

They also censor "hate" speech much more than other countries I believe. It's just considered rude socially to make jokes and to even criticize people's religions, cultures, identity etc.  

Before you can make a general assumption about Indian people, please understand that you should have lot of Indian friends. Indians love to keep to themselves. They don't mingle too much.. They can be warm and friendly if you're ready to share the same vibe. 

There is nothing humorous about offending someone's cultural identity.. It's something that people who have low values will do. 

Good people don't like offending others even in joke. 

And please don't be disrespectful to Indians just because we don't know how to play victim. 

Very few Indians are going to bother to bring up racism that is targeted to us every day online. 

That really shows our humility and tolerance for other people's bullshit. Which is often taken for granted. 

Have a great day! 

5 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@electroBeam  are you seriously stereotyping all the people from India and from the Middle East. That is so sick dude.

There's a very fine line between stereotyping and acknowledging trends and patterns of different cultures. Identifying such trends is very useful for improving your business in other countries, rapport with different people of different nationalities and creating systemic, global solutions to global problems.

Just now, electroBeam said:

There's a very fine line between stereotyping and acknowledging trends and patterns of different cultures. Identifying such trends is very useful for improving your business in other countries, rapport with different people of different nationalities and creating systemic, global solutions to global problems.

So what exactly were you trying to say about Indian people? 

Have you lived in India to know a huge amount of information about Indian people? 

So what do you know about Indians and how do you know it? 

Would love you to hear from you what you have to say about Indian people which will help us improve our business relations with you? 

Care to explain? 

@Preety_India could be that he was joking about his own self bias. it doesn’t make it less offensive, as you don’t hear the intonation.

in some sense it’s the trick to make the other person react what makes it funny then. if he is a nice person you are very close to, that’s not so bad - but if you don’t know him much its just a weird way to get attention in a group by putting a trapp for others.

Edited by remember

11 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Have you lived in India to know a huge amount of information about Indian people? 

I lived in Delhi in the past, and have lots of Indian colleagues and friends. I've done business is Delhi and have had to identify cultural trends and customs to get my business off the ground there. 

To answer your other questions:

I know a huge amount of information about the indian people yes I guess...

I know about Indians because I've worked with them, made partnerships with them, made best friends with them (one of my best friends is an Indian). Business is not as easy as you think. You need to be very precise with your EQ skills to get somewhere. You need to precisely know the customs, social norms, what's socially acceptable and not. This teaches you a lot.

There's a lot to say about every culture. That's why in university you have Amerian studies, Indian studies, etc. There's books and books on stuff about the indian culture (its all very corrupt though). There's lots to talk about, its cannot be said here.

If you want to improve your business relations with me, you need to understand my culture, not the other way around. That question is ill formed. 

I've explained enough

@Derek WhiteThat's an interesting perspective of India. I think in public the indian population is definitely more politically correct, as its such a diverse country, but if you go into the rural areas, or you speak to the locals in their house, out comes the lack of political correctness and the judgments about different cultures such as the Dravidian people, North vs South Indians, different religions, etc.)

I find the humour not necessarily less, but it is definitely different sort of humour.

Edited by electroBeam

@electroBeam

5 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

lived in Delhi in the past, and have lots of Indian colleagues and friends. I've done business is Delhi and have had to identify cultural trends and customs to get my business off the ground there. 

You only said that you've done business in India. And you all dodged all other questions. 

That definitely does not help with good business relationships when you can't clarify your point. 

You don't care to answer the questions I asked. 

Are you trying to backpedal right now because I cared to  call out your stereotyping of Indians? 

That's fine, you can just admit it. 

Edited by Preety_India

@Preety_India in some sense egoic humor is always on the laughing side.

non egoic humor is also.

Edited by remember

I think this thread should be locked for racism towards Indians. 

Enough! 

@remember  you're not using any context just making blank statements, no head no tail, so I'm not interested in responding to you. 

Please do not distract me. 

@Preety_India i‘m trying to post contextually. these were posts about the metallverarbeitung of what is going on in this thread. if that distracts you from being angry about a trap, ok. good for you go on.

@remember

2 minutes ago, remember said:

i‘m trying to post contextually. these were posts about the metallverarbeitung of what is going on in this thread. if that distracts you from being angry about a trap, ok. good for you go on.

I already told you that you're just distracting me from my point that I'm making to other people. 

metallverarbeitung..... Sorry what? I tried looking up this word in the English dictionary, says it doesn't exist. 

If I get offended because some people on this thread are insulting my country people and since I'm Indian, I think I have the right to express that I'm offended and indeed Its racism directed to me and the people of my country.. 

@Preety_India in a sense, you confirm what was said, taking it too seriously, getting triggered. Making a hen out of a speck of a feather.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today.