Mafortu

Leo does not understand simulation theory

31 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, RevoCulture said:

@purerogue @Eph75

Question.. Eph75 sick thumbnail pic too.. Would that be a Necker Cube?

What do you two think of say Gautama the Buddha's teachings... The idea of transcending self and mind.. stepping into a nondual state, allegedly then attempting to guide people as if he gained "knowledge".

Is his work total BS then, since that kind of knowledge can't be captured or understood?  A guy selling snake oil BS?

To my knowledge Gautama only searched for way to end suffering , not to understand.

@purerogue

maybe his core work was better described as the "the nature of suffering" not the attempt to end of suffering..  check on some of the material if and when possible, only if it calls to ya... There is a wealth of material covering a whole range of transcendental / trans-personal material..  A bunch that would fall into your classification of not possible.  which you might be right, IDK myself.  If you aren't familiar with it then it is a mute point... but eh.. interesting stuff.. might even be some grey area of attempting to bring nondual into the language of dual.. hence the numerous sources of esoteric wisdom and their attempt to speak to it, maybe peoples experience of it..  and maybe that gets flagged in your proposal.. again idk... stuff to kick around..  

39 minutes ago, RevoCulture said:

@purerogue

maybe his core work was better described as the "the nature of suffering" not the attempt to end of suffering..  check on some of the material if and when possible, only if it calls to ya... There is a wealth of material covering a whole range of transcendental / trans-personal material..  A bunch that would fall into your classification of not possible.  which you might be right, IDK myself.  If you aren't familiar with it then it is a mute point... but eh.. interesting stuff.. might even be some grey area of attempting to bring nondual into the language of dual.. hence the numerous sources of esoteric wisdom and their attempt to speak to it, maybe peoples experience of it..  and maybe that gets flagged in your proposal.. again idk... stuff to kick around..  

His work is to end suffering, to my understanding reason why he goes into such lengths into nature of suffering is just for the path, you have to droop it all at some point anyway.

Edited by purerogue

4 hours ago, RevoCulture said:

@purerogue @Eph75

Question.. Eph75 sick thumbnail pic too.. Would that be a Necker Cube?

What do you two think of say Gautama the Buddha's teachings... The idea of transcending self and mind.. stepping into a nondual state, allegedly then attempting to guide people as if he gained "knowledge".

Is his work total BS then, since that kind of knowledge can't be captured or understood?  A guy selling snake oil BS?

Thumb.. Have no idea where it comes from, I stumbled onto it and it called out to me so there it is, but it is intriguing perception-wise xD

To the rest, no it's not BS, not at all. I'm a pragmatic guy and all that makes sense because it does make practical difference. Nonduality actually changes how my being in this reality. Although I don't follow anything blindly, my own beliefs are a mix of western practical psychology - which goes much hand-in-hand with a lot from eastern religions - and a eastern religion mish-mash and also a lot of own interpretations. But tying down to something singular, such as just Buddhism is to me dogmatic in itself and limits the way in which we can flow through life, morphing/changing. So I believe in... me, whatever me is in this very moment and I'm open to becoming whatever new me is the next, or maybe rather less me and more being. All that is likely to coincide with such teachings, and they already have, but it hasn't been a staked out goal but rather just happened - and - happening. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

1 hour ago, purerogue said:

His work is to end suffering, to my understanding reason why he goes into such lengths into nature of suffering is just for the path, you have to droop it all at some point anyway.

I guess to avoid getting lost in translation or mixed messages I will try to be more direct in my interpretation which might be total misunderstanding and a load of BS, always possible ....  The nature of suffering...  “Oh Bhikshus, there are four noble truths. They are the noble truths of suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering and the path to the cessation of suffering.”

From my limited perspective this a doctrine about the nature of suffering not a goal of ending suffering.. To desire to end suffering would be to place these judgments of right and wrong that @purerogue isn't all to fond of as they are just mental distinctions... to label suffering like that and then have the forced projection of ending it, why?  But discussing the nature of suffering as a reflection of reality puts no projection on what should or shouldn't be done and it is left up to the people to decide for themselves what they want to do with it..

But hey maybe he was wrapped up in mental projections and defining right and wrong and what should and shouldn't be done... and his focus was on ending suffering...  not what I have been taught but totally possible.. i'm open to it.. 

Edited by RevoCulture

@Mafortu dreams are a type of simulation. Who could refute that? So at least when I'm dreaming, I'm in a simulated reality.  The main misconception is that simulated reality means inside a non organic computer, when 'human consciousness' simulates more perfectly and in high definition than any current or near future technology.  So I agree with you, simulation theory and nonduality do not seem to contradict but what do I know? ?‍♂️

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

9 hours ago, RevoCulture said:

Is what you saying also mental masturbation, existentially false under the same pretense?

Yes but it’s pointing to something existentially true that helps the op understand simulation theory. All claims with language are existentially false but some claims hold more value than others - more value if you start with the goal of trying to understand reality.  

It might also help that simulation theory is based on probabilities.

I personally believe that the human brain is a simulation machine. So simulation is true by default. The brain recreates the stimuli in the form of an electrical signal. This is the inverse optics problem generalized to all stimuli. Now you just have to ask yourself : is it a faithful recreation? For which, I will agree with Daniel Hoffman in saying that, no, it is not. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

No, you can become conscious that you are not inside a simulation.

Your reasoning is assuming dualities which you could transcend and be free off.

We live in a limited "reality" we all can see it, while you dive deep in your psychedellic trips you describe the true reality as infinite and absolute. Do you see the contradiction? 

Please watch this video and  before calling him a materialisty devil tell why is he wrong.

@Pramit "For which, I will agree with Daniel Hoffman in saying that, no, it is not." 

Hoffman... Interesting work he and his team are doing... 

19 hours ago, Eph75 said:

@purerogue  Even with the greatest insights, awakenings, enlightenment or via psychedelics it can not be ruled out that nonduality could be a concept that exists for the sole reason to keep us preoccupied with this nonsense, yet anouther layer of disillusion, a greater trick and anyone claiming otherwise might just be mentally ill. It would not matter how profound the experiences would be. 

It is possible to become directly conscious of Truth.  

Of course - it is quantum...it is similar to quantum mechanics.  In quantum mechanics, a "particle" is in a superposition until the wave function is collapsed.  Thus you cannot determine both its position and velocity simultaneously.  

So if i say you can know, it is does not help you because you haven't collapsed the wave function :) 

Only with infinity it is collapsing it in reverse.  From a particular possiblity to the superposition.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.