28 cm unbuffed

Best way to create a website

16 posts in this topic

I'm on a stage on my journey, where I want to go full stage orange stuff. Pickup, money, starting my own business and stuff. 

I want to build a website for my bussiness - where I will have a blog, where I'll post something everyday, including Spotify song link, mirroring my mood. 

I also want to get involved into aesthetics bodybuilding, photography, drawing and video making + create a forum, something like Actualized.org.

My main interest is and always was self-development, I just want to do it da Vinci way - develop myself creating arts - as much creative output as possible. 

This website would be something like Leo's site let's say - so it has to include blog, forum, store (not sure yet, what I'm going to sell tbh), and it should be of course connected to my Youtube channel as well.

My question is - what is the best option, to build a website like that from scratch nowadays? I checked Wix and Squarespace already, but I'm open for any other recommendations. 

Thanks in advance, love.

Learn how to code.

If you want to be self reliant then building programming skills is a must. You don't want to rely on other people extensively. 

Websites that host website templates are okay but you don't have much creative control. 

It sounds like you have time to launch so I would suggest not looking for any short cuts and develop some skills. 

@28 cm unbuffed

15 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

you are really telling me, that it's better to write my own website

Well no, not necessarily. You don't have to but you definitely can. 

You don't have to become a professional, just enough where you can maintain your own website, add new features, make changes. 

Unless you are financially abundant then that solves the problem. 

We have similar visions, I just value autonomy & creative control a lot and I feel like just being able to deal with any web related stuff with my own understanding will provide me the creative control I seek. 

@28 cm unbuffed

Just started  a very minimal site using Squarespace. Having never made a website before, I found their software to be made for someone who never made a site before. One head’s up if you go that route, use a web browser and the app. Oddly, each has features the other doesn’t. Also, they have made the linking of other sites, accounts, etc as easy as adding a premade button...things like Spotify, Open Table, etc. Best of luck to you! Love to see it when done. :)

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

If I were making a website, I wouldn't write the code from the scratch. I would only make changes using code. Dreamweaver would create the base code that I'm editing.

I like Wordpress with the genesis framework + theme. It’s expensive but simple, fast, secure, and beautiful if you like studiopress’ templates — but take that as the opinion of a layman.

Other than that, I’ve fallen into the trap of choosing the best possible tools, software or themes. Sometimes it’s better to start with whatever you’ve got, knowing that you can change it in the future. 

@Nahm

I started to create website with Squarespace, I'm just not sure if that's going to work for me in a long run. Like @Vipassana said - I want to have a great amount of creative freedom. 

@Arzola

I tried Wordpress today. You're right about falling into the trap of choosing the best tool - but what if I'll choose bad one and then I'll have to redo whole process from scratch. Right now Wordpress seems like the best option, because of, as I mentioned, creative freedom that it provides.

I'll give a Squarespace a second change though, what I need is freedom to rewrite the plugins code to suit my needs and got to check if that's possible with their products. 

@28 cm unbuffed ok you will have a website, and then what?

What's your unique proposition? What value are you bringing to the user that they can't get somewhere else?

Because as you have described it now, I would have zero incentive to browse that site, probably like 99% of your potential users.

If you are all about creative output then gives some creative ideas how you are going to differentiate from the competition and make people care about your content.

I believe thinking about technical details related to web development is very inappropiate in your situation right now.

@Girzo

Don't worry, I got it all figured out. I just have to start doing it and see how it all works in real world. 

And I wouldn't call it technical details, it's about choosing a tool that I will probably spend next month with to build a website. And I'm not up to losing a month of my life for nothing. 

Btw, I already decided it's going to be Wordpress, I'm too damn ambitious and I would regret using easy, fast tool as Squarespace later. For sure.

Edit: going for Squarespace. I like easy, intuitive solutions and Squarespace is exactly like that. I'm bipolar lol xD

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

I don't know, from what you have posted it doesn't seem so.

Posting Spotify songs mirroring your mood is not a plan. No one cares about you personally at the moment, maybe they will in the future but not now. You want to have a store, but don't know what you will sell in it. Sorry, but it doesn't seem like a robust plan at all.

How are you going to market that website? And don't say YouTube channel, because then the question becomes how you will promote that channel, which is even harder than the website.

Don't learn to code. That's what coders will always tell you because they've already done it. But in practical terms, if you want to learn coding and make a custom site from scratch, it's going to be a year before you have anything to show for it. I have 3 websites and I know zero programming. I've even forgotten the little bit of HTML I used to know. It's simply not necessary any more, there are lots of drag-and-drop / WYSIWYG site builders that make it obsolete for the majority of people. If you ever want to do minor customization, you can just Google and find the CSS code to copy and paste onto your site to do it. There are already thousands of professional themes out there ranging from free to $100. Why reinvent the wheel and think you can do it better than professionals who have been doing it for 5 or 10 years?

Just sign up for a host like Bluehost or Hostgator, buy a domain either through them or Namecheap, and do the 1-click Wordpress install. Watching 1 or 2 Youtube tutorials will walk you through the steps to having a basic functional website where you can start posting stuff.

On 31/12/2019 at 5:24 AM, Vipassana said:

Learn how to code.

If you want to be self reliant then building programming skills is a must. You don't want to rely on other people extensively. 

Websites that host website templates are okay but you don't have much creative control. 

It sounds like you have time to launch so I would suggest not looking for any short cuts and develop some skills. 

You don't need to learn how to code. Use Wordpress, any code you will use on Wordpress is simple. It's hardly coding

WordPress is a good option. I've been using it all my life and I'm happy with it