Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tenta

"Just say Merry Christmas or else you're being hurtful"

12 posts in this topic

So unless someone excludes people who celebrate Christmas at a different time of the year or don't celebrate it, they're not being inclusive towards you? That's not how it works, this just comes from a delusion of superiority that justifies that type of double standard

"Merry Christmas" is clearly a non inclusive phrase, it's the opposite, and could also hint at dehumanizing the people it excludes, but the perception right wingers have is that people on the left want to "secularize society" instead... 

A saying that simply doesn't exclude people as if they deserve it, isn't preventing you from celebrating holidays

The saying is tied to nationalism and stage blue.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Leo has already covered Prager U in his blog, stating that is a 'stage blue' channel, promoting family values, etc... Which teeters to 'stage orange' when it talk about how fossil fuels and tax cuts are a nice thing.

The amazing thing about spiral dynamics is that it explains political behaviors so well for me. Now I know why Christians, people part of a religion that called free commerce, 'sinful', vote for the bull market Republicans. It's because that's where they are in development.

Trump is a bad representative of the values they claim to have, he only has to reflect willful ignorance or callousness to get elected

On 12/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, tenta said:

Lol, facepalm.

That's how Christian self-bias distorts one's perception of reality.

If Christian dogma is taken as a given, anything smelling of "secularism" will appear wrong, evil, and unfair.

1 hour ago, tenta said:

Trump is a bad representative of the values they claim to have, he only has to reflect willful ignorance or callousness to get elected

Actually, Trump is a perfect reflection of their ACTUAL values. What you have to take into account is that people bullshit about their values all the time. When a low consciousness person says they value love, justice, equality, freedom, honesty, humility, morality, etc. they only say that, but in practice they cannot actually live those values. They live at the same level they vote at. Voting, after all, is living!

Stage Blue Christians project a veneer of Turquoise values but live at Stage Blue values.

So someone like Prager can talk about being moral and good and Christian, but when it comes down to it, he will have no problem criminalizing or even killing Muslims, homosexuals, and witches.

You can't fake the values you actually live by. But you can certainly fool yourself and others around you, which is what Prager has done.

The function of all PragerU videos is for Dennis Prager to convince himself and his friends of his own bullshit. And anyone who appears in his videos is doing the same, including JP and the like. It is a textbook definition of self-bias. Ta-da! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

So someone like Prager can talk about being moral and good and Christian.

Another irony here is he’s actually a conservative Jew. In theory he shouldn’t be even be caring about the Christmas thing, which goes to show it’s more about the paradigm of thinking than the content.  

@Joel3102 Well, his identity is really with the whole Judeo-Christian narrative. So it fits from that perspective.

His true enemy is secularism, which allows conservative Jews and Christians to ally in their fight against it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Same goes for Turkey in different context. There are two ways to greet a person. One is religiously '' selamın aleyküm'' which means "I bring thee lords greetings" other one more secular  "merhaba" "hello". However i see no difference, it's a custom for me. Just like oh my god! We mostly don't justify spoken language. It used to be very important to use proper turkish back in days. Even the drug dealers followed that rule :)

I dont get it why its always "Merry christmas" vs "Happy holidays".

Why not respect each individuals religion and wish accordingly? Wasnt too hard for me to do on my last day at work before my week off on christmas. I wished merry christmas to people with christian background and happy new year to my muslim colleague, who celebrates the new year

1 hour ago, Hansu said:

Why not respect each individuals religion and wish accordingly? 

+1

This debate is so stupid. Prager claims the vacation is because of Christmas but it's really because of the winter. Obviously, secular people are going to use happy holidays. Literally nobody gets offended if you say Merry Christmas. It just goes to show how much of a snowflake Mr. Prager is, perfect example of stage blue purism. 

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

Poor snowflakes, they get triggered by people saying Happy holliday instead of Merry Christmas.

6 hours ago, Derek White said:

This debate is so stupid. Prager claims the vacation is because of Christmas but it's really because of the winter. Obviously, secular people are going to use happy holidays. Literally nobody gets offended if you say Merry Christmas. It just goes to show how much of a snowflake Mr. Prager is, perfect example of stage blue purism. 

Happy holidays is literally wishing you happy holidays, and he claims to be offended and doesn't see the hypocrisy.

@Husseinisdoingfine Deeply stage Blue people tend to dislike anything that gets them to break down their assumptions, like how modern art does, since they're much more strongly identified with their "cultural" ego than stage Orange or Green people. To them, anything that doesn't completely reaffirm what they believe is "solid" and "true" - for example - repainting the Mona Lisa to look like a modern hipster, or creating abstract sculputers that don't perfectly resemble humans - comes across as threatening, hence why they will call these things "Satanic", "Cultural Marxism," and so on. To them, in their reality, the experience of seeing a piece of modern art is so threatening to their egos that the experience literally comes across as the work of Satan. This is why also capitalistic Disney movies designed to make billions of dollars are called "Communist" (the complete opposite of Disney's ideology) in their eyes, because these new movies might have a black female leader, or a hispanic soldier, which goes against what their cultural ego is conditioned to believe is "the truth" - that white males are the "heroes" of stories and anything else is clearly "false".

I'm rambling now so I'll end it here. Writing these out helps me understand my own thoughts better.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon