Ananta

Down 12 lbs, more to go!

27 posts in this topic

Well, I wanted to lose weight and as fate would have it I became very ill for a month and lost 12 pounds. I did try also, but I wasnt really hungry, since I was sick.

I stopped night snacking (mostly), didnt eat over 400 calories during the day (usually), then reasonable dinner. Any diet tips would be welcomed. I still have 15-20 lbs to lose and I'm not well enough yet to exercise,  so that's out.

Edited by Anna1

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

9 hours ago, DrewNows said:

short clip here, thoughts? 

Nice! thank you! I will definitely consider this. I usually count calories when trying to lose weight, but that hasn't (prior to my illness) been working too well lately. I like salads and fruits so I could do what he's saying. Guess what would be most difficult would be cooking for someone else what I cant eat. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

I'm guessing you want to lose adipose tissue am I correct? And not necessarily "weight"

On 22/09/2019 at 4:06 AM, Anna1 said:

Well, I wanted to lose weight and as fate would have it I became very ill for a month and lost 12 pounds

one does not lose weight to fit in smaller casket :D Still, happy that you found something positive in the illness. 

On 22/09/2019 at 4:06 AM, Anna1 said:

didnt eat over 400 calories during the day

are you still doing this? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

one does not lose weight to fit in smaller casket

Haha, well, I'm out of what was my normal weight, so just getting back to that hopefully. Since posting I've lost a few more lbs now. 

Yes, I've not been eating more than 400 cals during the day, then smaller dinner. Wanted to try the veggie diet but my current lifestyle just doesnt fit it.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

38 minutes ago, Anna1 said:

Yes, I've not been eating more than 400 cals during the day, then smaller dinner. Wanted to try the veggie diet but my current lifestyle just doesnt fit it.

While it is none of my business to comment, I think you do realize that that is a starvation diet. There is something called Basal Metabolic Rate, this is the rate of calories your body burns in 24 hours if you just decided to lay down and breathe. This does not account for the energy needed for digestion, exercise or any cognitive activity. For a regular female weighted around 60kg, that would probably be around 1,000 calories. Anything below that is a starvation diet where the body is not receiving enough calories (and most likely nutrients) to maintain its BMR which can be dangerous in a long term. 

Starvation diets slow down your metabolism, dysregulate your endocrine system by spiking your cortisol while lowering oestrogens which often results in loss of period, hair loss, skin problems and bone density problems (the latest only if kept for years). A hypocaloric diet such as that one you mentioned will not be sufficient in protein, essential fats and most likely fundamental carbohydrates to sustain the production of ATP (energy currency). You may also start seeing symptoms resulting from lack of magnesium, calcium, zinc, selenium, essential vitamins and phytochemicals that are contained in variety of food. 

The best diet is no-diet. It is the one where you eat when you are hungry and stop before you are full. 3 times a day eating the meal of a decent size that is mostly plant-based and contains things such as: nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and if you eat animal products an oily fish every once in a while and few eggs from the sustainable source per week. Animal products are not a necessity though but most people prefer to have some.  

But in the end, your body is your own temple to govern and all of these are just opinions of random people. Just please make sure you do not harm your body by underfeeding it to achieve a goal that is purely driven by pressure of media, instagram and low-consciousness of masses. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I am eating when hungry, just not as much. Im also not doing low fat, so my total daily calories land around 800-1000 which is fine for my body at 5'4. I dont lose above that unless I exercise like a complete maniac which ain't happening right now. 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1  all the best on your journey ^_^

7 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@Anna1  all the best on your journey ^_^

Ty

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

11 hours ago, Michael569 said:

But in the end, your body is your own temple to govern and all of these are just opinions of random people. Just please make sure you do not harm your body by underfeeding it to achieve a goal that is purely driven by pressure of media, instagram and low-consciousness of masses. 

Love your post Michael and your input. I just query the last bit. Did I miss something in Anna's post about media, instagram etc?  Surely there is nothing wrong with having a goal of weight loss if you are overweight? I know where you are coming from with the peer pressure dangers and the fad diets etc, but there is no point being overweight if one can safely get to a safer weight. By safely I mean physically and emotionally. 

As a certified trainer and someone who has taken multiple nutrition classes at university my best advice is to focus less on weight, focus more on changing body composition (burn fat tissue/gain or maintain lean mass). You will look better, be healthier and stronger by dropping weight slowly over time and combine strength training with a diet focused primarily on protein, healthy fats, and strategically timed nutrient-dense sources of carbs. 

Learn proper progressions on body-weight strength based exercise. Lots of full body compound (multi muscle group) movements ie. squats, pressing/pulling/rotating. I would recommend getting a TRX suspension trainer, can get one for only $99 online, and set it up in your home easily. Can do so many things with it and scale the intensity to virtually any fitness level. This will have a much greater effect on burning fat/getting a lean muscle tone than machines at the gym or steady state cardio alone like running on a treadmill. Although for best results do steady state cardio on days you are recovering from a full body strength session. Feel free to ask me about anything related to getting/setting up/using the TRX if you are interested. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

2 hours ago, Bill W said:

Did I miss something in Anna's post about media, instagram etc?

No, not at all and I'm 49, so I dont care much about that stuff...lol

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Anna1 Congrats on the weight loss!

If you’re a chocolate, peanut butter & banana fan, you might like this...

https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product/why-choose-raw-protein-and-greens/

1 scoop of powder, 1 - 1 cups of ice, 1 - 2 cups chocolate almond milk, 1 - 2 bananas,1 - 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder ( & peanut butter If you want it sweeter.) 

The ‘Loophole Shake’. 

It’s all raw foods, vegan, and very nutrient dense. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Nice! Ty

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Intermittant fasting helps greatly in achieving quick results. Allowing for only a 8-9 hour window for consumption, but during those hours eat what you would typically want to eat in the day. The video below is helpful!

Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but B12 shots might also help to improve your energy levels, overall fatigue...thereby assisting in productivity throughout the day. 

@Armand Thank you, it's funny because I was thinking maybe of trying this before you posted.

I haven't gained back any weight, but did increase cals in past 2 weeks wondering if I was too low. Havent lost a dang pound since I did. So, I was right, I have to be lower then average or I don't lose.

So, I'll be reducing cals again and maybe try intermittent fasting with it, ty.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Learn about intermittent fasting. You want to eat only in a 6 or 8 hour period, and spend the rest of the day fasting. This one is huge, if you can implement this i bet you will notice great results. Also, if you can just fast for 24 hours (or more) this will also be great for weight loss. Good luck

So what do you guys think of eating just once a day? I did that years ago to lose baby weight. It worked well.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?