Brian Greendahl

Do Enlightened People Get Angry?

18 posts in this topic

There are a lot of myths, misconceptions, etc. regarding enlightened beings. Questions: Do enlightened people get angry? Do they have fears? Are they self conscious? Do they have insecurities? Do they have doubt, self or otherwise? If some enlightened beings believe in God and some do not, who is right and can they both be enlightened? Do they still have ego?

I think that in their perception all of what your saying is irrelevant in their eyes. Because what you are saying are all concepts. An enlightenment being has de-attachment from the meaning of thought ie concepts. So if you had the exact same experience as self doubt. You will assign a meaning to thoughts and perceptions creating self doubt. Some who is enlightenment realises the falsity in meaning and doesn't label the experiences therefore it won't bother him.

Edited by Huz88

Feelings are still there, whatever the  form they might come up . If  you still label and give meaning to a feeling you cannot be enlightent , label after label after label and so on . They just flow with life offering no resistance, there is no such thing as a good feeling or a bad feeling .

The answer to all those question is "yes".

4 hours ago, Brian Greendahl said:

There are a lot of myths, misconceptions, etc. regarding enlightened beings. Questions: Do enlightened people get angry? Do they have fears? Are they self conscious? Do they have insecurities? Do they have doubt, self or otherwise? If some enlightened beings believe in God and some do not, who is right and can they both be enlightened? Do they still have ego?

greendahl, you are so right about the myths and misconceptions regarding enlightened beings, and all of those misconceptions are held by people who are not enlightened, have no experience in enlightenment, but yet they seem to have all the answers to what enlightenment is.  They are only fooling themselves, they have no clue about enlightenment.  It is all speculation and an attempt to rationalize something they have no understanding of.  Religious fanaticism and newageism has destroyed the true meaning of many things because what is being taught is nothing more than nonsense.  Most hold a false belief system that has warped everything they know, think, feel, say and do.  You can believe anything but that will never make it real.  Belief is nothing more than an assumption of knowledge.

the answers to your questions are no, to all of them, for what that is worth to you, but if you can begin to understand why the answer is no you may have a chance at becoming enlightened or rather self realized at a point yourself.  Personally i dont use the term enlightened i call it self realization, which is what it really is,  It is about waking from the dream and a transition that involves functioning as a being of consciousness, which is our true nature, rather than the fictitious identity that we have created to experience this physical existence.

Another example is love, most think love is a series of acts performed by the identity, Love is not an act performed it is a state of being, by a self realized being, and only a self realized being is that state of being, the rest is based on thoughts and emotions that those functioning as the identity call love.

rationalization and intellectualization  of things that humans don't and can't understand as the human identity leads to a lot of confusion about these things, and that confusion is carried on to the generations that follow. 

Another example is the use of drugs, some actually think that drugs can lead to enlightenment,  they actually think that what they experience on drugs is real, or is some spiritual thing. 

Self realized beings function in an altered state of consciousness, but it is a state of clarity, it is their true nature and original state of being that enables them to be able to experience truth and reality apart from the physical identity.  The human identity has no access to truth and reality.

All the answers to your questions can be had from the core of your being, can you separate it from the identity with its thought process based on feelings, emotions, beliefs and programing to obtain the reality of those things, that is the real question.

another thing you may learn is that when you awaken from the dream, those who haven't will view what you speak about as your opinion or your belief, they don't understand that you have moved beyond opinion and belief to truth and reality.  Programing,  belief systems, and warped perceptions never touch reality.

Edited by The Village Idiot
not helpful

Jesus said on Mark 9:19

And he answered them, “O faithless generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him to me.”

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

On May 10, 2016 at 1:24 AM, Brian Greendahl said:

I just made a video about enlightenment misconceptions. One of the points that I addressed was the enlightenment is only happiness idea. I don't want to spam but I just posted it on another thread about destructive tendencies if you want to check it out. 

But using my enlightenment experiences as a frame of reference, I was feeling my emotions much stronger. So, happiness, fear, sorrow, anger, were experienced in a more intense way. But I had no resistance to them and I didn't make them bad. They were all beautiful and they all had wisdom to communicate to me. They were only there for a short period of time, only long enough for me to get the wisdom from them. So, they would essentially move right through me. But the emotion that was default was unconditional love and peace. So, the negative emotion was a passing phenomenon meant to communicate something to me, but positive emotion was what I resided in.

But enlightened people probably don't get self conscious, because self-consciousness exists as a protection mechanism for the ego. If you transcend your ego, self-consciousness becomes irrelevant because there is no ego to protect from psychological harm. They may experience doubt, but only because some things are doubtful.

Beliefs can't understand the existential nature, so neither one's belief or non-belief in God would relate to their enlightenment. It would just be a difference in opinion and interpretation. This wouldn't nullify their enlightenment, it just comes as an outgrowth of the limitations of the human lens (whether that person is enlightened or not). You can't really know anything, but you can believe anything. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

What is the significance of such a question anyway? Do you think that if you emulate an enlightened person that you become enlightened yourself?

An enlightened being is a paradox, there is no being to be enlightened. Whatever that is left, whatever characteristics you give an 'enlightened being', it does not matter. If you think you see an enlightened being becoming angry it's because you think you see him becoming angry, there is no 'him'. There is nothing inside there anymore that is experiencing anger.

What is an emotion without someone experiencing that emotion? It's nothing. You can apply any value to an enlightened being, but that being always experiences that as (value)*0. Actually there isn't a being at all anymore but you get the point.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Brian Greendahl R u talking about Western Enlightenment or Eastern Enlightenment (Nirvana)?

If Western, I don't know. There are many concepts out there. You can't trust anyone just because they say they are enlightened or have many followers. The only thing is by your own experience, you can tell whether enlightenment is this or that.

For Eastern, the enlightenment (Nirvana) is based on Buddha's teachings. There are four stages of Enlightenment there. Usually the final stage is called Fully enlightened. In fully enlightened stage, a person don't get angry or worry for life. They also don't have any doubt what so ever anymore. There consciousness is sharp enough that can always keep the sense of self out of their mind. So they are considered selfless people. The also don't reincarnate any more.

26 minutes ago, Khin said:

The also don't reincarnate any more.

I don't get the idea of reincarnation if there's no self, what is it going to reincarnate? There's nothing to reincarnate.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

On 5/10/2016 at 1:24 AM, Brian Greendahl said:

I think the feel anger, fear, etc. but they are not controlled by those emotions.

They do. 

It is though only an emotion coming and going. Anger is only a cover up emotion for running away from being hurt. 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

@abrakamowse The idea of reincarnation is very different in Buddhism. But not many understand it. Reincarnation in Buddhism doesn't mean you fly out of your body and possess another body. Reincarnation is all based on Cause and Effect nature.

Everything that are existing in present moment are simply causes for the Future. So the future is always caused by now or past. However because this present moment disappear as another present moment appears (Impermanence nature), there is no future or past. Only present moment. That is simply a reincarnation. So we came to be alive because something in the past caused us to be alive. Doesn't mean our souls jumping from a body to another.

Edited by Khin
usual

@Khin  Thanks for clarifying, I need to read more about reincarnation. I have the Tibetan book of the dead to read as soon as I finish other book I am reading, thanks!