DrewNows

10k hours to mastery (myth?)

17 posts in this topic

What have you learned from doing a skill for at least 10k hours? 

Do you feel there is a truth to mastery, is it unique to the individual? 

How has this changed your approach to mastering other skills? 

Edited by DrewNows

This is utter bs

Dépend how you practice a lot

& No practice = nothing

Both needed. 

If you got an awakened master it goes quick

Edited by Aeris

32 minutes ago, Aeris said:

This is utter bs

Dépend how you practice a lot

& No practice = nothing

Both needed. 

If you got an awakened master it goes quick

You’re off topic, this is about skills and mastery. If you don’t have experience to share than that’s okay, how do you define or describe mastery? 

Edited by DrewNows

@DrewNows It's all up to the individual. For many it takes ten years or more to reach black belt in bjj,  Bj Pen did it in 3 years.   

16 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

@DrewNows It's all up to the individual. For many it takes ten years or more to reach black belt in bjj,  Bj Pen did it in 3 years.   

Bj was training full time. Something like twice a day 7 days a week. He came from a pretty wealthy family, he´s father said go to school/work or train full time. So if youre training 5 times a week, you should train about 10 years to put as many hours as bj did.

bj sure was talented but he put 10 years of training to 3 years. I know few other blackbelts that went full in and got the blackbet in 3-4 years.

37 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

In other words mastery of oneself is the true mastery of any skill 

true mastery being everchanging/evolving/varying performance that arises with the loss of oneself in an activity/skill 

I have spent a lot of time playing piano since 2006 if i recall correctly i can say that 10000 hours alone won't do it. It needs to be 10000 hours of always pushing past your comfort zone or no progress will be made in getting better. Its a very deliberate process. I think that also what anderson erickson says about the 10000 hour rule. It need to be 10000 hours of deliberate practice. 

I think it's based on the individual. There will always be someone better and everything is changing.  There will be better golfers than Tiger Woods, even though he was best in his time.  I think the truth comes in that once you hit 10k hours, you probably came close to your personal peak (obviously the hours may vary depending on what we are talking about).

5 hours ago, BjarkeT said:

I have spent a lot of time playing piano since 2006 if i recall correctly i can say that 10000 hours alone won't do it. It needs to be 10000 hours of always pushing past your comfort zone or no progress will be made in getting better. Its a very deliberate process. I think that also what anderson erickson says about the 10000 hour rule. It need to be 10000 hours of deliberate practice. 

Deliberate, I like it. In other words, no zoned out, trance like, repetitive playing? I played the saxophone growing up and all the playing has always been very rigid. Wasn’t quite able to allow for fluid expressive jazz like art with the music. It’s sad cuz I know that’s surely what makes it a true passion 

I think awarness also place a role, like if u are more when doing skill instead of mind going all arround the world, there will be better result.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@DrewNows repetitive is a part of deliberate practice. Its a great way to memorize any skills. I use it to memorize chess openings at the moment. Pretty awesome that you played the saxophone. 

1 hour ago, BjarkeT said:

@DrewNows repetitive is a part of deliberate practice. Its a great way to memorize any skills. I use it to memorize chess openings at the moment. Pretty awesome that you played the saxophone. 

Okay but intentional, thanks, repetition is the mother of skill, my big passion is soccer/football. Chess has also fascinated me, but I never really put in the time. I have family who did so I appreciate it 

11 hours ago, SerpaeTetra said:

I think it's based on the individual. There will always be someone better and everything is changing.  There will be better golfers than Tiger Woods, even though he was best in his time.  I think the truth comes in that once you hit 10k hours, you probably came close to your personal peak (obviously the hours may vary depending on what we are talking about).

I like it ?

more hours put into a passion the more wisdom gained 

2 hours ago, Harikrishnan said:

I think awarness also place a role, like if u are more when doing skill instead of mind going all arround the world, there will be better result.

Yes I equate flow state to awareness that goes beyond self awareness because it is completely detached 

maybe a myth but the more you practice, the more you fire and wire your neurons in your brain.

but practicing consciously would most of the time reduce the hours significantly.

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

I see it not as a rule but as a concept.

It just tries to show that mastery is a very long marathon of everyday work. That if you do that everyday work, a lot, A LOT, with focus, you can expect the results to come later down the road. 

It is just an aid for immediatism. For people to accept what true mastery takes. Otherwise people would lose the patience they need to achieve that state and quit 

Mastery is an ever expending notion there's no number of hours at which you can say that you mastered something. You're are going to be better at 10 001h than 10k. The line is totally arbitrary. 

It also depends on the quality of focus in those hours so I wouldn't latch onto this notion of 10k hours.

The number of hours to mastery is that: One more

Sailing on the ceiling 

I have been practicing guitar for a year and I can barely play open chords, whereas there are other things in which I learn much more quickly.

I don't understand the need to figure out how time does it take or not, a master keeps on learning and practicing to the ends of the days. You can always push the roof and go beyond.

Just do what you wanna do and keep doing it. That is what I have learned, there are so many factors that influence learning which really makes figuring out a specific hour number to be of vain.