Shaun

How does one meditate on something?

17 posts in this topic

My meditation practice nearly always consists of do nothing or focusing on awareness.

I was wanting to deepen the practice and was wondering how I would go about meditating on something like impermanence.

Does it involve asking myself questions about the chosen subject of meditation or thinking about decaying buildings?

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

You cant.

Once your attention gets into the formless territories, you'll have hard time focusing on forms.

Just a simple reminder to be aware will automatically relax attention.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

I suppose I've been doing it more or less right all along then.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

52 minutes ago, Shaun said:

My meditation practice nearly always consists of do nothing or focusing on awareness.

I was wanting to deepen the practice and was wondering how I would go about meditating on something like impermanence.

Does it involve asking myself questions about the chosen subject of meditation or thinking about decaying buildings?

What’s your overall goal first of all. Then from there look at if your meditation practice is growing fruit ? towards that

”meditate on something” to me means a deliberate mindful contemplation of a topic

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Shaun When one says "i like that idea or discussion (wisdom or whatever)" and decide it is worth meditating on, this means that they have accepted the possibility of it and wish to sit with it for a while and let their subconscious mind bring some clarity to it. The act of meditating in itself won't change but through meditating, there will no longer be the veil of "you" limiting the perception of an idea

I prefer to meditate on my zafu

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

1 minute ago, outlandish said:

I prefer to meditate on my zafu

That's a type of cushion, isn't it? I was going to buy one as I just sit on a chair with lower back support which I understand is not ideal.

@Shaun Yes it's the round cushion they use in zen sitting meditation. If you're going to buy one, I'd recommend trying it out in person rather than ordering on the internet because it's kind of nice to get the just-right sized one. 

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@Shaun See how you go with this, this is much better than I can explain it. This is her you go deeper.

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

I like following his meditations but I am still feeling mostly nothing. There is a new background of peace to everything now but I still always have this nagging fear of the fact that I'm going to experience absolutely everything. I know that as Shaun, I won't, but I will come back into other lives and it's just going to keep going forever.

@Shaun

If I might be blunt, you’ve been going about practicing in a manor which is actually exacerbating your suffering. 

Meditate first thing in the morning for 30 mins, and again in the afternoon for 30 mins. Keep your spine straight, adjust as needed for balance, and focus on breathing from your stomach, while relaxing / sending the “let go” signal to every muscle, from the top of your head, to your toes. Patiently wait with each muscle until you actually feel the ‘release’. Thoughts arise, keep returning your attention to breathing from your stomach. 

More thoughts are not what you need currently. You are already attached and identifying with them. You need space, and the realization, the direct “experience of” awareness. 

Then, as the space, as the emptiness, as awareness...contemplate the “things of the world”, and begin to recognize yourself in them. But first, discover the actuality of the self to be recognized. 

I will be so bold and obnoxious as to further say that anything outside of this, is procrastination fueled by the very thoughts which can be let go of. 

You will arrive here when you are willing. My hope for you, is that it is today, not decades from now. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

3 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Shaun

If I might be blunt, you’ve been going about practicing in a manor which is actually exacerbating your suffering. 

Meditate first thing in the morning for 30 mins, and again in the afternoon for 30 mins. Keep your spine straight, adjust as needed for balance, and focus on breathing from your stomach, while relaxing / sending the “let go” signal to every muscle, from the top of your head, to your toes. Patiently wait with each muscle until you actually feel the ‘release’. Thoughts arise, keep returning your attention to breathing from your stomach. 

More thoughts are not what you need currently. You are already attached and identifying with them. You need space, and the realization, the direct “experience of” awareness. 

Then, as the space, as the emptiness, as awareness...contemplate the “things of the world”, and begin to recognize yourself in them. But first, discover the actuality of the self to be recognized. 

I will be so bold and obnoxious as to further say that anything outside of this, is procrastination fueled by the very thoughts which can be let go of. 

You will arrive here when you are willing. My hope for you, is that it is today, not decades from now. 

You've not been obnoxious at all, it's all good advice. I will use it in my meditations. Thank you.

5 hours ago, molosku said:

@Shaun vipassana meditation is a type of impermanence meditation, try it! 

Will look into it

@Nahm

I am struggling with breathing from the stomach. Is it like where the stomach expands instead of the chest? I tried it and it seems restrictive and I can't breathe very deeply.