seeking_brilliance

Interesting things said by Jesus....

100 posts in this topic

To start, this is not a thread to debate on the existence of Jesus.  It is highly possible that any stories about him are coded allegories which either was meant to be decoded, or just hearing the stories unlocks something in the subconscious. Whichever is true, you have to admit he said some pretty cool things! 

I'll add more each time I find one, and the second post will be edited for every update. Please add any that you find interesting... 

@Bill W

@jbram2002

@mandyjw

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

Gospel of Thomas, chapter 2, verses 1-4

Jesus says:

(1) “The one who seeks should not cease seeking until he finds.
(2) And when he finds, he will be dismayed.
(3) And when he is dismayed, he will be astonished.
(4) And he will be king over the All.”

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 4, versus 1-3

Jesus says:

(1) “The person old in his days will not hesitate to ask a child seven days old about the place of life, and he will live.

(2) For many who are first will become last, (3) and they will become a single one.”

*not sure about verse one, but 2 and three seem to be talking about reincarnation possibly

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 5 versus 1-2

Jesus says:

(1) “Come to know what is in front of you, and that which is hidden from you will become clear to you.

(2) For there is nothing hidden that will not become manifest.”

*talking about shadow work?  Also reminds me of Leo's exercise of looking at your hands

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 8 verses 1-4

(1) And he says: “The human being is like a sensible fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea filled with little fish.

(2) Among them the sensible fisherman found a large, fine fish.

(3) He threw all the little fish back into the sea, (and) he chose the large fish effortlessly.

(4) Whoever has ears to hear should hear.”

*actually looking for an interpretation on this one. Any time he says 'whoever has ears...' it is an intentionally coded parable. 

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 10

Jesus says:

“I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it until it blazes.”

*the stories of Jesus literally changed and shaped the world. He knew exactly what he was doing... 

Exodus 33:20

And He said, “Thou canst not see My face, for there shall no man see Me and live.”

*it counts because technically I was raised to believe that the God who spoke to Moses was in fact the premanifest son of God (Jesus). Seems to be talking about ego death?  To remember that nothing has ever lived? 

Somewhere in Exodus probably.... 

"Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” 

The Gospel of Mary Magdalene

22) The Savior said, All nature, all formations, all creatures exist in and with one another, and they will be resolved again into their own roots.

23) For the nature of matter is resolved into the roots of its own nature alone.

30) Matter gave birth to a passion that has no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to nature. Then there arises a disturbance in its whole body.

31) That is why I said to you, Be of good courage, and if you are discouraged be encouraged in the presence of the different forms of nature. 

Matt.22 Verses 34 to 40

[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

[38] This is the first and great commandment.

[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

* I like this one.  A nondual type quote hidden in plain sight all this time.  I still would like to know more about the mind/body /soul connection, or is this only a Christian anology for something? 

John 14:10

Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

* I was raised to believe that Jesus and the father and the holy spirit were one God, but three different manifestations of it. Jesus sometimes appears to be saying that we are all one God. 

Gospel of Thomas... Somewhere in there... 

(1) “I am the light that is over all. I am the All. The All came forth out of me. And to me the All has come.”

(2) “Split a piece of wood — I am there.

(3) Lift the stone, and you will find me there.”

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 17

Jesus says:

“I will give you what no eye has seen, and what no ear has heard, and what no hand has touched, and what has not occurred to the human mind.”

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 18

(1) The disciples said to Jesus: “Tell us how our end will be.”
(2) Jesus said: “Have you already discovered the beginning that you are now asking about the end? For where the beginning is, there the end will be too.
(3) Blessed is he who will stand at the beginning. And he will know the end, and he will not taste death.”

James 1:19 

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

*I like this because it's overall great advice

Luke 6:37

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven

Mark 8:34-35

Then, calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel, you will save it”.

*this is certainly an allegory for something... 

John 14:27 

I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

Somewhere in the new testament.... 

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and You have seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” 

Then they took up stones to throw at Him; 

Matthew 6:24

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. 

~The Book of Thomas The Contender

He who has known himself has…already achieved knowledge about the depth of all.

~Gospel of Thomas

That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourselves.

~The Dialogue of the Savior

Matthew: “Lord, when I speak…who listens? The Lord said: “It is the one who speaks who also listens, and it is the one who can see who also reveals.”

*when two become one? 

Gospel of Thomas Chapter 50

Jesus says:

(1) “If they say to you: ‘Where do you come from?’ (then) say to them: ‘We have come from the light, the place where the light has come into being by itself, has established [itself] and has appeared in their image.’

(2) If they say to you: ‘Is it you?’ (then) say: ‘We are his children, and we are the elect of the living Father.’

(3) If they ask you: ‘What is the sign of your Father among you?’ (then) say to them: ‘It is movement and repose.’”

Edited by seeking_brilliance

And He said, “Thou canst not see My face, for there shall no man see Me and live.”

Not a Jesus quote but a juicy nondual verse.

Edited by Maya_0

3 minutes ago, Maya_0 said:

Not a Jesus quote but a juicy nondual verse.

Technically I was raised to believe that the God who spoke to Moses was in fact the premanifest son of God (Jesus) so it counts! 

I was hoping a thread like this would pop up. Thanks for including me. I'm new to the Bible. All I have is what are my favourite verses and I've barely scratched the service. Catch up tomorrow ?

The Gospel of Mary Magdalene

22) The Savior said, All nature, all formations, all creatures exist in and with one another, and they will be resolved again into their own roots.

23) For the nature of matter is resolved into the roots of its own nature alone.

30) Matter gave birth to a passion that has no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to nature. Then there arises a disturbance in its whole body.

31) That is why I said to you, Be of good courage, and if you are discouraged be encouraged in the presence of the different forms of nature.

Matt.22 Verses 34 to 40

[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This is the first and great commandment.
[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
John 14:10

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Can someone share that verse. Move rock and you Will find me.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Can someone share that verse. Move rock and you Will find me.

Thanks.

I think that one is in the gospel of Thomas. Let me check.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

@zeroISinfinity

"The Kingdom of God is inside/within you (and all about you), not in buildings/mansions of wood and stone. (When I am gone) Split a piece of wood and I am there, lift the/a stone and you will find me."

20 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@zeroISinfinity

50 minutes ago, abrakamowse said:

@zeroISinfinity

"The Kingdom of God is inside/within you (and all about you), not in buildings/mansions of wood and stone. (When I am gone) Split a piece of wood and I am there, lift the/a stone and you will find me."

What I found in the gospel of Thomas reads a bit differently... 

Jesus says:

(1) “I am the light that is over all. I am the All. The All came forth out of me. And to me the All has come.”
(2) “Split a piece of wood — I am there.
(3) Lift the stone, and you will find me there.”

@seeking_brilliance probably yours is more accurate. I found that one on a blog and it seem they were talking about a movie called Stigmata and they mention several Jesus sayings with some modifications for the movie.

http://users.misericordia.edu/davies/thomas/stigmata.htm

I didn't know about that movie. Seems interesting.

LOGION 42 - Come into being as you pass away

IMG_0583.JPG

LOGION 70

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

I'm so new to the Bible I am not even sure if this post is what you are looking for. I don't know if these things were said by Jesus or they were said by people who either (a) knew Jesus or (b) are generally passing on his message.

I'm at the beginning of my Bible journey and I'm loving it.

At the moment I am focusing on how the Bible reflects values to live by, so here are some of my favourite parts from the Bible.

Humility

James 1:19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

John 3:30 He must become more important while I become less important.

Luke 6:37 Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven

Mark 8:34-35  Then, calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Gospel, you will save it”.

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Proverbs 11:12 It is foolish to speak scornfully of others. If you are smart, you will keep quiet.

Proverbs 18:12 No one is respected unless he is humble; arrogant people are on the way to ruin.

Psalm 4:4 Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent.

Titus 3:2 Tell them not to speak evil of anyone, but to be peaceful and friendly, and always to show a gentle attitude toward everyone.

Compassion

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Galatians 6:2 Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ.

Proverbs 11:24-25 One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

Proverbs 31:8-9 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Forgiveness

Hebrews 8:12 For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.

Isaiah 43:25 I—yes, I alone—will blot out your sins for my own sake and will never think of them again.

Luke 23:34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing

Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Matthew 18: 21-22 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?” “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy seven times”

Other

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (Love) Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

John 14:27 (Fear) I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.

Philippians 4:6-9 (Prayer) Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. Paul’s Thanks for Their Gifts

Romans 12:2 (Temptation) Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

No wonder he wasn't understood, he talks so much in riddles, that unless you've already understood what he is saying, you never will ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

30 minutes ago, Shin said:

No wonder he wasn't understood, he talks so much in riddles, that unless you've already understood what he is saying, you never will ?

There is a bible for children. I think it's called the message.

I struggle with the King James version so I use a different one. There are some good websites that if you type in the verse it will give you the same message but in easier to understand English language. These sites are good as they link to different Bible translations so you can end up seeing just how 'watered down'the translation is from the King James version. It's good to compare in case you feel a verse has been translated so much that it's lost it's original meaning.

29 minutes ago, Shin said:

Also, i think a lot of times he was speaking as God cause he was one with God and so they wanted to stone him cause they miss understood what he was saying. They thought he said he was God alone. He said: "We are Gods" i think he meant we are all God but in plural form like your God, I am GOg they are all God.

What did Jesus mean when he said though: "We are the children from the most high?" That does not say we are God?

"Your the left eye and i am the right would it not be madness to fight, WE COME ONE." - Faithless

God inside God. 

Children of the Universe exploring Universe, playing inside it. Only way God can experience God. 

Hope this helps. 

"Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” 

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and You have seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” 

Then they took up stones to throw at Him; 

“The decisive question for man is: Is he related to something infinite or not? That is the telling question of his life. Only if we know that the thing which truly matters is the infinite can we avoid fixing our interests upon futilities, and upon all kinds of goals which are not of real importance. Thus we demand that the world grant us recognition for qualities which we regard as personal possessions: our talent or our beauty. The more a man lays stress on false possessions, and the less sensitivity he has for what is essential, the less satisfying is his life. He feels limited because he has limited aims, and the result is envy and jealousy. If we understand and feel that here in this life we already have a link with the infinite, desires and attitudes change.” - Carl Jung