Angelo John Gage

My question to Sam Harris.

33 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Yes, as infinity, which was limiting itself to create senses. 

Yep..YOU don’t depend on mind?

4 hours ago, Angelo John Gage said:

@TheAvatarState  because his basis for our 'self' is an illusion from the brain. He doesn't know the answer to consciousness but I think he believes its a product of the brain's activity. 

Actually, I listened to a podcast where he interviewed philosopher David Chalmers. Harris is open to the idea that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe but says he remains agnostic about it.

I’ve never experienced a universe

Hook me up..don’t be stingy?

Edited by Jack River

@Angelo John Gage This is actually a very good question to ponder.But practically impossible to shut down the senses.Try not to breath or hear is it possible no IMO.

(I guess Sam Harris is more inclined to Buddhism as liked quoted by @David Hammond ??? who hates Non duality)

In deep sleep when the senses and the mind is also temporarily shut down there is no you no world no body no mind.

Buddhism says no permanant self or Awareness - Anatta.

Awareness is created temporarily by brain.

In short Buddism says you are the body mind.Absolute is an illusion.

Advaitha - Hinduism says otherwise.

There are enlightened Bhuddists and Enlightened non dualists or Advaitins in this forum.

Both agree ego is an illusion.But on the Absolute,oneness there is disagreement on you are not body mind there is disagreement.

Not sure how the same experience but different interpretations.

Edited by Jkris
Edit

@Ponder Are you nothingness or formlessness in deep sleep ?

Edited by Jkris
Edit

47 minutes ago, Matt8800 said:

Actually, I listened to a podcast where he interviewed philosopher David Chalmers. Harris is open to the idea that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe but says he remains agnostic about it

This is very interesting, exactly what I would expect. Thank you.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

39 minutes ago, Jkris said:

@Angelo John Gage This is actually a very good question to ponder.But practically impossible to shut down the senses.Try not to breath or hear is it possible no IMO.

(I guess Sam Harris is more inclined to Buddhism as liked quoted by @David Hammond ??? who hates Non duality)

In deep sleep when the senses and the mind is also temporarily shut down there is no you no world no body no mind.

Buddhism says no permanant self or Awareness - Anatta.

Awareness is created temporarily by brain.

In short Buddism says you are the body mind.Absolute is an illusion.

Advaitha - Hinduism says otherwise.

There are enlightened Bhuddists and Enlightened non dualists or Advaitins in this forum.

Both agree ego is an illusion.But on the Absolute,oneness there is disagreement on you are not body mind there is disagreement.

Not sure how the same experience but different interpretations.

Not in dzogchen teachings. Dzogchen is influenced in part by the yogas. Theravada that says that consciousness is created in the brain. Get a Buddhist for dummies book, because not all Buddhists are created equal. Sam's problem is his education in sciences. He's not enlightened but he could be if he just dropped his beliefs. But he's also making a living from appealing to a huge section of society. Money talks, donations talk. Book sales talk. 

Edited by David Hammond

@TheAvatarState i doubt it.  Pretty sure he is a materialist.  If he had a mystical experience and actually awoke to the idealist paradigm than he would probably also be a lot more conscious..to where staying at stage orange would ultimately be impossible...he would naturally evolve out of thinking money and success is happiness.  I'm not saying enlightenment automatically propels you to turquoise but nevertheless it would elevate his consciousness significantly.  

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

8 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Angelo John Gage Gotcha. It seems you are probing to see wether same makes a distinction between senses and “you”.

Would you say senses and “you” are essentially the same, inter-related or distinct?

It's a good question 

@David Hammond ??? just pulling your legs Gurudev.???.If truth is one and no difference between Advaitha and Buddhism except Theravada Tradition I am glad.

Edited by Jkris
Edit

2 hours ago, Jkris said:

@David Hammond ??? just pulling your legs Gurudev.???.If truth is one and no difference between Advaitha and Buddhism except Theravada Tradition I am glad.

I see no actual fundamental difference between advaita and buddhism. There may be only some superficial difference in the use of some terminalogy.

Buddha's 3 fundamental marks of reality makes perfect sense in advaita teachings as well.

1) Anicca(impermanence) : all objects/experiences are impermanent, under a constant change and flow

2) Anatta(non-self): No object/experience ever contains the Self. All are non-self stuff aka 2nd and 3rd person objects

3) Dukkha(suffering): being ignorant of the first 2 truths and thus imagining/identifying the Self with the impermanent and non-self stuff results in perpetual suffering.

About Desire: 

Buddha said desire is the root cause of suffering. Advaita says the same thing but in a slightly different way. Advaita says identifying the Self with non-self stuff is the root cause of suffering.

So we can see what Buddha called desire is nothing but the tendency to hanker after and attend to non-self stuff. Such desire only arise when non-self stuff are mistaken as the Self.

That tendency can be checked only by vigilently discriminating, pursuing and ultimately abiding as the Self and being constantly attached to the Self. That is self realization or Nirvana

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

You could ask questions to  Sam Harris on reddit i guess, not sure .

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.