Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moon777light

Is there anyway to secretly contact fam/peeps during a Vipassana Retreat?

22 posts in this topic

Im asking because i have a super strict family, and cutting 10 days off from them they would flip out and not allow me to go. (yes im in my 20s but they decide where i can go lol) So for those who have been, is there any way you can sneak your cellular with you for just a quick phone call or message that im still alive? Just for one quick message a day.I remember leo said something  about sneaking onto his laptop?? but im not sure if i remember that correctly.

I really reallly want to go this year

Of course you can. You can just have one in your pocket. They're not gonna frisk you. It's not prison. They just assume you are going to be honest when you read the rules and agree to them.

As for letting your parents control you in your 20's..  Yeah, have fun with that.

woohoo, super thanks :D

yeah, im from eastern europe, they tend to be like that over there :(

@moon777light you are supposed to maintain 10 days silence.Not sure why your family wants you to speak to them.Be honest with yourself. It is after all a meditation silence retreat.

These types of retreats usually have channels for communication should an emergency come up. There should definitely be a way for your parents to contact you via a phone number or email at the retreat should the need arise, and vice versa. Perhaps this will satisfy them so they can respect the full 10 days of silence/separation for you. If they have this number/contact info, and know you can get in touch with them if need be, it might make them more comfortable.

But as Esoteric said, it's not prison. It's a concentration camp! xD

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish offcourse one's details are taken for registration.As well as the office phone no email is available for contact.So any emergency can be communicated to the participant.

25 minutes ago, outlandish said:

These types of retreats usually have channels for communication should an emergency come up. There should definitely be a way for your parents to contact you via a phone number or email at the retreat should the need arise, and vice versa. Perhaps this will satisfy them so they can respect the full 10 days of silence/separation for you. If they have this number/contact info, and know you can get in touch with them if need be, it might make them more comfortable.

But as Esoteric said, it's not prison. It's a concentration camp! xD

:D

do not do it. you are cheating yourself if you do and it will affect your experience, even just one message. do it away from people if you must but you are just cheating yourself. 

@moon777light Assuming there is one, have you shown them the website so they have some comfort with it? Is it close by, maybe they could go have a look? Maybe someone who went to the same retreat could share their experience with you parents? 

I agree with @SunnyNewDay you’re only shorting yourself if you circumvent. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@moon777light no one here has any idea about you, your family, culture, situation. I can imagine many scenarios where it would be in the best interests of a kid in their 20s to have a lot of input from their parents in their lives, and this is coming from someone in a very libertarian culture. 

It's really up to you and your family how much control you give them.

Anyways, like everyone's saying, you'll get a lot more out of the retreat if you can completely put your phone down, and not have that preoccupation.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

If you can't convince your family and cannot be away from distractions for 10 days, then don't go. There is no point on being in the retreat and thinking of how to secretly check the phone and sending an sms to the family. You will be cheating yourself and missing the point. 

Prepare the family for the 10 day radio silence and then go experience it. Being 10 days in isolation is a big part of the experience

@moon777light I would fo everything I could to get as much space and distance as possible, yet not to the point that it started to harm family relationships and dynamics. 

I say go for it. I would set up a very clear communication agreement as low as possible - and immerse myself into the retreat as much as possible. 10 seconds a day of distraction is not that big a deal, imo. It’s what you do with the other 23hr :59min:50sec that matter.

thanks guys, so my mom wants to go with me yay no contact afterall. 

If i was doing it in the country that i live in, there would be no problem. I would do the 10 days cut off from the world. The problem is thats its in another country (because my country doesnt offer them) thats more dangerous than the one i live in, so they were scared for my safety. But no sneaky texts afterall woohoo

For those wondering how this is possible that their so controlling, watch the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Basically like that :D

@moon777light Yeah I get it. I'm from northern Europe which is less family oriented, so it's a matter of cultural difference. My post was pretty ignorant looking back. Awesome you get to go to the retreat, it will be a great experience for you :)

1 hour ago, moon777light said:

thanks guys, so my mom wants to go with me yay no contact afterall. 

Heh, I have seen similar situation on my last Vipassana retreat. The mother couldn't bear for longer than 5 days and was ranting to the teacher that she constantly hears "anicca, anicca" in her head because of recordings with instructions so she can't meditate. xD

1 hour ago, moon777light said:

The problem is thats its in another country

Are you going to Poland? There's a great center there. Dhamma Pallava. Built from the ground as a Vipassana retreat center and it's a huge facility.

45 minutes ago, moon777light said:

@Esoteric Thanks :) have you been? what was it like?

Yes I have been 4 times (Goenka). It is a variety of things. Hard, interesting, insightful. Just dont give up when your ego tells you to.

49 minutes ago, Girzo said:

Heh, I have seen similar situation on my last Vipassana retreat. The mother couldn't bear for longer than 5 days and was ranting to the teacher that she constantly hears "anicca, anicca" in her head because of recordings with instructions so she can't meditate. xD

Are you going to Poland? There's a great center there. Dhamma Pallava. Built from the ground as a Vipassana retreat center and it's a huge facility.

ahahaha i can definitley see that being my mom lol

im going to the one in Italy :)