Himanshu

Turquoise Art / Idea pool

17 posts in this topic

I've come up with some artwork ideas which I'm willing to share. Please note that these are half baked thinking-out-loud kindof ideas and I'd appreciate any feedback.

•  I'm working on developing visuals for 'Ways of conceptualizing the self': - subject-centered - interactive artwork

-  One speck of dust among 7.7 Billion - Anonymous / Lonely - Each living in their own subjective bubble
-  A node in a Network - A personality - one as a selective information filtering node which consumes and produces
(-- What one creates is important; because it propagates through a larger network) - relevant visual - vimeo.com/24212747

-  A biological entity - layers of multiple organ systems working simultaneously
-  An entity among the larger ecosystem - an air/organic matter processing node - our skins constantly decaying and new cells constantly developing -- 

- Time spent / time left - according to the average lifespan of a human in that geography
- One with the Universe - Absolute dissolution - Yogic/Vedanta perspective - Alex Grey's paintings are an inspiration

Relevant visuals

25740927356_b2b91f60c1_b.jpgAlex_Grey_oversoul-1.jpg

Each one of the above can be complete work in itself. 

• Where does thought come from?
    • From the collective / universal mind?
      • Mind has no physical properties,but it can be expressed in certain combination of say, light beams and smoke
        • Numerous light beams in a cuboidal room with every square inch covered with mirror 
          • One person at a time experiences the work
          • Smoke hides the body
          • Light beams shoot discontinuous light 'packets' suggesting transmission
          • Who is transmitting?
            • There is no 'who'
            • There is a gigantic hotch-potch of 'transmissions'
      • "Why do I attract what I attract?"
        • (There was a positive thought experiment, not sure how legit it was, but it demonstrated that thinking positive can turn the direction of a prong or something)
        • The flashlights suspended from the ceiling can be made to 'follow' the head of the viewer in the room to suggest coming and going of thoughts
        • The color of 'packets' of light may change with (I've no idea how that can be done as of now) with what the other person is thinking  

The core idea is to evoke an emotional response, give a memorable experience and expand the horizons of one's understanding/consciousness. I really enjoy 'decoding' images and popular media and conversely putting ideas/concepts into visual form. I'm exploring new ways to develop these kinds of works and planning to study Experimental media. I'm currently digging into perceptual psychology, findings of which I hope to integrate into my artwork.

If anybody has any advice / feedback / ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Himanshu

It feels like your'e letting viewers have a taste of what turquoise level might look like. Hope your art inspires people and  lifts their consciousness up a notch. 

i think alex grey's art is green (he took LSD in the 70's and depicted his psychedelic experiences).

i can't fathom what turquoise art would be like, maybe it's invisible and only "turquoise" people can see it ^^

i think it must be rooted in "being" so there is no questioning about the nature of thoughts, metaphysics...

I would put en emphasis on story telling, symbols, languages, inner games & emotions...

The shoes scene at 5'25 :

Edited by Soulbass

I'd define Turquoise Art as Artwork that commincates Turquoise values, the primary one being seeing the interconnection and interdependence of everything. Alex Grey himself strikes me as a 'Green' person as well, but his work is a good inspiration of stage-turquoise art. 

One of the principles, as I see it, should be the expansion of the 'sense' of this-is-me. For example - making one realize the ever-present(and never-noticed) connection between the the body and the environment--the continuous exchange of air. (Half of my lungs are out there!) - Courtesy Sadhguru 

Other than that, maybe a near death VR experience would be a Turquoise Art? 

I imagine art-rooms where one can spend designated time, say 20 minutes, and the environment subtly influence the body system - certain sounds are relaxing while some can make you emotional. Diffused warm light in a showroom is very different from a cold blue light in a dairy plant. A closed room with today's technology is a laboratory for senses. Every sensory input can be controlled - for desired effect. 

I'd rather not partner with the devil while working on these.

@Soulbass I'm not a believer in spiral dynamite but I'd imagine turquoise art is blended with the way we interact with and perceive reality. Turquoise art is seeing the beauty in the ugly, mundane, tacky, or disgusting. Yellow art is expressing this with what most people call "art" turquoise art doesn't even require expression, all it requires is the ability to perceive. 

http://mysticsjournal.com/favorite-photos/

Wayne Wirs was great at showing us what it's like to perceive in this way.  

I saw this floating around Facebook the past few days and immediatley thought of this thread :D

what would this be..Green? It includes some form of mind-bending, maybe yellow

This?

“‘As We Are’ is a fourteen-foot, 3D universal human head made from ribbons of ultra-bright, LED screens. In the back of the neck is a photo booth capable of taking 3D pictures. Once a visitor has their picture taken, they step out of the booth and their head is displayed on the giant head.

The sculpture addresses the relationship between self and representation of self, asking the subject of the portrait to reconsider presence through magnification. It is intended to provide amusement and evoke larger discussions around the phenomena of social media, diversity, and the power dynamic of public art.”

http://theinspirationgrid.com/as-we-are-interactive-art-installation-by-matthew-mohr/

@Himanshu i’ve been contemplating tier 2 art lately as well. One of my favorite artists lately has been Marina Abramovic whose work often does not exist without direct experience from the public. Her life’s work is a meditative process of preparing for long duration performance art, and when i read her autobiography she talked about having done several meditation retreats of varying lengths which informed her work. 

Leo’s video “What Is Perception?” also gave me an idea for an art installation/performance art piece called The Doors Of Perception. I’d love to talk art concepts and ideas if you’re still around the forum! 

7e98c78a3d900594fff2ab22bccd9be9.jpg

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@plutoIncredible! However, I always find the location and scale of an artwork are incredibly important to produce the desired effect. The first painting in a 20ft height room is tingling sensations and euphoria, in a passport size, it's a cool digital drawing someone made.

I find Marina Abramovic's work stemming from pain, which is effective because pain, particularly physical, is familiar to most people. Plus, empathy aka 'mirror neurons' and there's art that made chills run down your spine. Except the core/source, many lessons to learn there. 

I found this fascinating article by Alex Grey on his meeting with Ken Wilber:

https://www.alexgrey.com/media/writing/essays/for-ken-wilber/

Here are some excerpts:

..  Where is the spiritually inclined, philosophically minded artist to turn?”

And Ken replied, “My advice would be to go back to the German idealists like Schopenhauer.  He was the last great philosopher to deal with the transcendental function of art.   Joseph Campbell wrote a wonderful book called Creative Mythology, part of his Masks of God series of books.  Campbell summarizes Schopenhauer’s aesthetics pretty well, so that would be the easiest entry to his thought. If you like it you can go for the original texts.”

"Ken has given me other important pieces of personal advice such as the time he cautioned me in my tendencies to look superficially at lots of spiritual paths and not choose one. He advised me to develop an in-depth practice. He quoted an Asian proverb, “Chase many rabbits, catch none.”

"A spiritual art must transform the artist and the viewer. In order for art to be transformative, it has to undo you. "

"They must reach beyond the present limitations of their bodymind or ego to a higher level of consciousness and being. One could look at the process as “variations on a scream.” There is a violent painful birth to much great art. The artist has labor pains. It is the worst and the best. For the art to be spiritual, the artist has to be a better person after finishing the work than when they began it."

"Conventional art is an expression of the self or world as it is now. Transcendental Art expresses something that you are not yet but that you can become…"

"... So artists have to ask themselves, “Is my art just a way of affirming my mediocre whiney-ass self, or am I up to the challenge of spiritual transformation, reaching for the higher self and a deeper art?”

A list of Ken Wilber’s Art writings on Art:

1. In the Eye of the Artist – Art and the Perennial Philosophy 1989

Sacred Mirrors -The Visionary Art of Alex Grey and the second edition of Eye To Eye.

“Bad Art Copies, Good Art Creates, Great Art Transcends.”

2. Various passages from Sex, Ecology, Spirituality 1995

and A Brief History of Everything 1996

3. How Shall We See Art? – What and Where is Art? 1996

3 a. Integral Art and Literary Theory – Part I & Part II

4. Levels Of Art 1997

5. To See A World – Art and the I of the Beholder 1997

6. Foreword to Alex Grey's book, The Mission of Art 1998

Just to add something relevant, not sure if this counts as 'Art', but looking at this has given me a lot of humility and inspiration. This is a screenshot of my desktop:

Untitled.png

This is live imagery of earth of sun setting over my current country of residence. It's like looking at myself zoomed out 1000x. The lines around Earth is a music visualizer. 

A reminder to the misguided sense of self-importance.

This gets even more interesting when past about 10 PM when the sun gets visible. 

What is Art anyway?

It made me think of this movie; i like to think of turquoise art as art that would be exploring similar themes to the ones found in 'annihilation', this scene is particularly relevant : 

Edited by Orange