kingroboto

Dealing with the betrayal of lack of sleep

10 posts in this topic

It's the end of the day, you are already tired from lack of proper sleep from the previous night, but you somehow managed to get through it. You've meditated, you've done your best to clear your head of negative thinking. There's a stressful work to be done the next day but you are willing to face it head on. For that you need sleep and a clear head so you head to bed. You tell yourself you are going to have a full day so you need this sleep. The tiredness washes over you and you finally drift into sleep hoping to wake up refreshed.

Then you wake up and check the time - you've only gotten 4 hours of sleep. You still have that sick feeling of fatigue and want to go back to sleep but your mind says no, fuck you. You are not going to have a good day. You are not going to be at your best to handle the work needed to be done to make your life better. Toss and turn all you want but im not letting you rest. Try all the positive thinking you want but Your physical body will be tired and you will have to suffer through another day. I'm not going to help you. 

How do you show love to yourself in this kind of situation? 

have a sleep schedule where you get the same amount of sleep every night.

Conquer the first 5 chakras, by raising kundalini, that feeling you describing will dissapear completely. You will wake up wanting to run. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I try to relax when i cant sleep, maybe read a boring yet fulfilling piece or snuggle a bunny. focus on real life. Low  to no lights. Relaxed muscles. Glass of h2 for hydration.

Sleep has to be prioritized over every other project in your life.  And you have to enforce that.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@kingroboto Sometimes lack of sleep can give a certain euphoria and it's own flavor of awareness, at least in my experience. But that should be maybe a once a week or twice a month thing at most. What you want to be doing is getting up at the same time every day, no exceptions. Doesn't matter when you go to bed, but you HAVE to wake up at the same time. What this will do is make you naturally tired and want to go to bed earlier automatically.

Well first of all, waking up in the middle of the night is totally normal and natural. The very belief that you need 7-8 hour uninterrupted to get a good night's rest is counterproductive to actually getting it. Watch this episode of Adam Ruins Sleep:

And a while back I posted about my experiences optimizing my sleep while living in an environment not conducive to sleeping well: 

If you have a first world sleep environment, like a quiet bedroom with heating & AC, you can take comfort in knowing if you don't rest well one day, you can just have some coffee and try again tomorrow going to bed and waking up the same time. Don't take it for granted. One or two days of sleep deprivation is nothing compared to rolling sleep deprivation that lasts several days.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:44 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

Sleep has to be prioritized over every other project in your life.  And you have to enforce that.  

It's like a war with my own body. The greatest superpower would be to just tell our body to go to sleep whenever you want it to, any time, any place no matter the conditions, and it will obey. 

Or to only need 4 hours of sleep a day, like Donald Trump supposedly does.

Edited by XYZ

On 12/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Joseph Maynor said:

Very important insight. Why do you think sticking to a fixed sleep schedule is more important than every project in your life?

Edited by CreamCat

@kingroboto  I'm so sorry your experiencing this. Sleep is like oxygen. It is unbelievably underestimated. 

Have you tried following a routine before bed? All lights off? Screens off of all kind? You probably have I'm just throwing ideas out there. 

Have you tried popping in earphones and listening to something soothing? 

Such as ...

My personal favourite ❤️ I use it whilst imagining I'm meditating in the forest. 

Have you tried Valarium root? I understand it's referred to as nature's valium. Helped me many times to just relax. 

I really hope you manage to sort this out. Lack of sleep can be mindfucking. 

I find it interesting that you label it as 'betrayal' and you also paint it as if your own body is attacking you. You are painting yourself as a victim of yourself.

You're gonna have to stop this if you want to get anywhere. You can't keep victimizing yourself when things don't go your way.