Manjushri

Is writing poetry a waste of time if it's not strategical? (Idk if I want tomasterit)

22 posts in this topic

In the last two weeks I wrote around 50 songs. Mass creativity. But what's bothering me... My main art is music. I can use that creativity to write songs, master one art! Craft is a part of art, after all. Writing poetry feels too much like l'art pour l'art.  Where is the strategic intent in it?? Unless I'm gonna go full poet. 

On the other hand, I'm 18 and should explore. I'm confused. 

Edited by Gligorije

Just write. Dont overthink. Youll thank yourself in 10-20 years. ;)

Dont look at me! Look inside!

If you have the chance to create art for art's sake, man, just do it and enjoy.

@Elisabeth I simply feel that my art in a few years time will be of a much higher quality (not craft-wise but content-wise).

Same as comparing a 5 year old poem to a 12 year old to a 20 to a 40 year old (enlightened already lol)

So I'm looking to focus more on the craft and later on the art... But 2 weeks ago i spontaneously wrote a poem, and then it snowballed.

@Gligorije You can't know.

You can't know if you'll have higher quality content in five years. Maybe the highest quality content comes with natural creativity.

You can't know if you'll continue to have these bouts of creativity at all.

You can't know if music will remain your main art. Maybe it's poetry, or maybe you'll excel in combining your texts with your music.

You can't know if what you've written will have impact on others. Maybe it's good. Or maybe it's crap but will still save someone's life.

You can't know how you will use the skill that you're gaining now by writing, or even what skills you're gaining - maybe it's not just writing skills.

I always thought science was my life purpose. Now I'm 29 and today I'm quitting my unfinished phd. I had no idea it would come and I have no idea what's next, I just know I went wrong and I can't go on - and it wasn't because of a lack of strategy.

Man, enjoy your writing while you enjoy it. Passion is fleeting and as it wains, there goes your productivity. If you have the urge to do stuff, just do stuff.

@Elisabeth I think the creativity is always there when you remove ego out of the play and just be :) pls dont say passion because that puts pressure on me. im just flowing. passion has an implication that it burns out. 

Considering higher quality... hmm... I assume ot will be. Ofc i have no idea. 

Edited by Gligorije

it's absolutely not a waste, even video games are not a waste, I wouldn't take back my 10k mmo/rpg for nothing. It was great hours.

determination, grinding, self actualizing.

I m still today using this experience as nurturing my art flow and lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@Strikr how did you actualize playing games?? you couldve grinded a worldly skill. your only category in that experience was pleasure. present benefit. the experience itself. with a carrot on a stick making you believe youre doing something - grinding, getting the levels.

write music with lyrics 9_9 like nick drake. 

Does Mastery mean one can't have a hobby? 

Edited by SgtPepper

18 hours ago, Gligorije said:

@Strikr how did you actualize playing games?? you couldve grinded a worldly skill. your only category in that experience was pleasure. present benefit. the experience itself. with a carrot on a stick making you believe youre doing something - grinding, getting the levels.

you clearly didn't play corean mmo to talk "pleasure instant" HAHA

they call'd me the chinese farmer in my guild, that wasn't for "no reason". I played for win, to get, I embody what it means to be truly orange

it was pain, and when I ended 3k hours of mmo challenge for years, I suddenly had the feeling of the end of my stage and what I was getting from it, means in term of mental grind/ upgrading my tree of skills for always strive to be more, to do more, and not only in term of physical grind

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

@Strikr i exactly know what you mean.  i was addicted to an rpg too.. and im not talking about WoW, which is like an experience for itself, a new world. Im talking about a shit rpg which has such a repetitive aspect (not many new things) and instadeath. it was pure orange. i made some good $$ off of it though, selling items. probably thats what kept me playing. idk. it was fun, but not nearly as WoW. its ok because i was like 12-14 years old playing that game on and off.

what i wanted to say. I remember one dude watching anime and me reacting "wtf dude are u srsly watching anime thats such a waste of time (which implied that the things I was doing were not only for pleasure). If I didnt have that RPG grinding vent for my masculine-orange-grinding-improving urge , i cant even imagine how far would i be already...

because when i stopped playing games i basically began grindng life skills... im 18 now.

Any activated flow state you are experiencing in which you are totally captivated and dissolved in the present is worth your time. ❤️

Any type of creative expression that is coming from a place of passion, heart and soul, is a strength within you in which totally sparks you and motivates you, this is illumination, this is your inner fire and your inner voice which is calling to you and giving you breath and total life & vitality. You are connecting with the flow of your own energy and higher states of consciousness. There is a synergistic feeling of being lost & found, it is a sacred place where there is no longer a "you" or an ego but just total active consciousness, presence and energy. You aren't thinking about the past or worried about the future, you are just being and surrendering to the energy of the moment. 

We've all experienced this especially as children, through inspiration and dreams and divine curiosity, except I think many people lose their passions or drive in life through social conditioning and being brought up in schools/environments to think active imagination isn't vital and that infantilizes and devalues the very things we are born to cherish and pursue that keep us alive, fresh, and inspired, I think we forget how important these states are. 

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

I find writing poetry to be a method to express nonlinear post-logical modes of being. 

I used to think it silly and a waste of time. I now see and feel it's beauty.

4 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

I find writing poetry to be a method to express nonlinear post-logical modes of being. 

@Serotoninluv isn't all of art that? :) what do you mean by nonlinear?

@Gligorije Hey I would also look into the concept of automatic writing, it's an interesting form of meditation where you are exercising your intuition. You simply clear your head, breathe deeply, get in the zone and open your mind to any insights, ideas, information or even illustrations that come to you straight away, then you contemplate them and let your pen & hand begin to almost unstoppably channel them onto paper. This is you as the recipient of your higher self, this is the conduit for higher wisdom. When you are in this trance, there is no ego but there is only the flow in which you are in. When you read back to reflect upon what you've written later on, you will often be surprised to receive such deep & profound things you would never have expected or ever intended on writing/seeing. This is why it may seem extra-terrestrial or otherworldly, but you're just tapping into deep levels of consciousness.

Writing is highly expressive and therapeutic which is why there were Beatniks and children pouring their souls out into diaries, and now there is writing therapy and creative journaling for healing/overcoming barriers, and so much more. It's been documenting & recording the realm of human imagination and existential wonderment for centuries. The concept of using writing as a form of meditation is actually quite primitive and natural and it's not rocket science. It's not having a superpower or supernatural ability that only limited people can attain either, it's just the natural process of writing. It's been effortlessly achieved by many philosophers/innovators/physicists/prophets/gurus for centuries and it has helped many people attain Enlightenment but everyone technically has these skills or these "psychic abilities" since we all have intuition, so it can be achieved by anyone it just depends on how conscious you are of it. It's all about tapping into your own intuitive, soul self and higher states of consciousness through radical relaxation and lack of force.

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@VioletFlame  Well my art is usually like this. Otherwise it'd be really cluttered and ego driven. Thank you for the insights! Last night I actually wrote some crazy good poetry this way.

@Gligorije Amazing! Happy for you. xD