winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,433 posts in this topic

@winterknight Damn, thanks for catching my misconceptions preciously. I honestly would be spinning around in circles if I still held those beliefs tightly. This is a lot more serious than I thought. 

You mentioned on your website that you struggled with existential depression in your teenage years. In a sense, I am starting to realize I have, and still am going through the same thing. It’s scary, in that, it seems that everyone else around me is able to survive and act in societal norms (work, friends, leisure time, etc) whereas someone like me is constantly crippled by a feeling of isolation and fear. 

Can you please share how you were able to endure those teenage years? The time before you met Swami Bodhananda Saraswati?  

Just now, AlldayLoop said:

You mentioned on your website that you struggled with existential depression in your teenage years. In a sense, I am starting to realize I have, and still am going through the same thing. It’s scary, in that, it seems that everyone else around me is able to survive and act in societal norms (work, friends, leisure time, etc) whereas someone like me is constantly crippled by a feeling of isolation and fear. 

Can you please share how you were able to endure those teenage years? The time before you met Swami Bodhananda Saraswati?  

There wasn't any way I could endure them... that's why it was fortunate that I met my teacher when I did. And anyway meeting him was hardly the end of emotional turmoil. That took 20 more years of my own work. 

So go into psychoanalysis, read the great ancient scriptures, metaphorize your feelings, understand your desires, and self-inquire. (I know you've seen many of these links before, but I'm putting them in for others).

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

@winterknight Thank you again for your openness and honestly. I would still be half-assing this entire process if I stayed comfortable with my current ignorance. 

10 minutes ago, winterknight said:

And anyway meeting him was hardly the end of emotional turmoil. That took 20 more years of my own work. 

Thank you for this also. My ego is still self-pitying and demanding that this awakening process should be effortless and natural. 

Woukd you say that this type of fellings of meaminglessness and existential depression stems from other past traumas and unresolved emotional conflicts or the they can ba a thing on their own  ? 

7 minutes ago, wavydude said:

Woukd you say that this type of fellings of meaminglessness and existential depression stems from other past traumas and unresolved emotional conflicts or the they can ba a thing on their own  ? 

Past traumas and unresolved emotional conflicts for sure. Actually, I put meaning in everything which part of the problem. 

13 minutes ago, wavydude said:

They're usually both, but they can be a thing on their own. In the end, everything you feel is affected and colored by your past, one way or the other.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

How and when did you discover Actualized.org / Leo? Do you personally follow his videos and content?

7 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

How and when did you discover Actualized.org / Leo? Do you personally follow his videos and content?

I discovered it by accident a year or two ago. I don't personally follow his videos or content, but I respect his having established this community

What is the difference between past lives and reincarnation? 

Do you have any tips for feeling grounded if you are in the process of releasing negative stuff and perhaps going through an awakening? I'm going to try yoga more. 

How detrimental, would you say, is it for a seeker to be doing enlightenment work while concurrently still strongly attached to and feeding their addiction and survival needs? Let’s say this person is poor and can’t afford a therapist. Is it going to be impossible for them to fully surrender?

21 minutes ago, SunnyNewDay said:

Do you have any tips for feeling grounded if you are in the process of releasing negative stuff and perhaps going through an awakening? I'm going to try yoga more. 

How about entering psychoanalysis?

18 minutes ago, AlldayLoop said:

How detrimental, would you say, is it for a seeker to be doing enlightenment work while concurrently still strongly attached to and feeding their addiction and survival needs?

It's fine. Be honest about your desires and then self-inquire while pursuing them.

Let’s say this person is poor and can’t afford a therapist. Is it going to be impossible for them to fully surrender?

These are all totally separate questions. Having a therapist has no relationship with fully surrendering.

Anyhow, most people can afford a therapist if they really want it, but I have also detailed instructions for dealings with feelings and desires in my book -- the chapters on metaphorization and desire.

How is it so that one can fully surrender to their true nature while still indulging in their addictions? Couldn’t they simply realize that it’s not necessary for them to act upon it?

6 minutes ago, AlldayLoop said:

How is it so that one can fully surrender to their true nature while still indulging in their addictions? Couldn’t they simply realize that it’s not necessary for them to act upon it?

If you can realize you don't need your addictions and do that, then go ahead, don't pursue your addictions. But what's important is that you're honest about what you want emotionally.

You can pursue your addictions honestly, while admitting this is what you want, and self-inquire at the same time (read my guide, pursue self-inquiry at every waking moment). Or if you want to give them, give them up. Or if you're not sure, be not sure.

Surrender is something different. Surrender means not voluntarily thinking, and whatever happens, happens, addictions or otherwise. Don't get self-inquiry and surrender confused.

Edited by winterknight

30 minutes ago, winterknight said:

If you can realize you don't need your addictions and do that, then go ahead, don't pursue your addictions. But what's important is that you're honest about what you want emotionally.

You can pursue your addictions honestly, while admitting this is what you want, and self-inquire at the same time (read my guide, pursue self-inquiry at every waking moment). Or if you want to give them, give them up. Or if you're not sure, be not sure.

This is one of my deepest issues, hence why I’m very thankful for the resources you gave me. Because in all the years I’ve been in CBT, nearly all my therapists were working to stop my addictions full force without understanding why I was doing them in the first place, and of course that never worked long term. 

For some reason when I stopped trying to stop some of my addictions, they just ceased on their own because I replaced it with something else more in line with what I really want. 

1. To my perspective, you are imaginary and we can never prove you are real. From your perspective, you will tell me the same thing.. but this is simply my imagination doing so. How do we resolve this? Are you going to tell me you're real? 

2. How do you deal with friends, family, lovers... now that it's all imaginary? Why would I deal with non-existing entities?

3. Do I have any obligation whatsoever to live in 'the matrix' as per my 'original intent' to fool myself and be here?  

2 hours ago, AlldayLoop said:

This is one of my deepest issues, hence why I’m very thankful for the resources you gave me. Because in all the years I’ve been in CBT, nearly all my therapists were working to stop my addictions full force without understanding why I was doing them in the first place, and of course that never worked long term. 

Yup, exactly why I recommend psychoanalysis over CBT.

41 minutes ago, LeoIsMe69 said:

1. To my perspective, you are imaginary and we can never prove you are real. From your perspective, you will tell me the same thing.. but this is simply my imagination doing so. How do we resolve this? Are you going to tell me you're real? 

2. How do you deal with friends, family, lovers... now that it's all imaginary? Why would I deal with non-existing entities?

3. Do I have any obligation whatsoever to live in 'the matrix' as per my 'original intent' to fool myself and be here?  

1. It doesn’t matter whether I'm real or not. Spirituality is about self-inquiry -- look to yourself and find out if you exist in the way you think you do.

2. Engage in self-inquiry and see if you're the one who has to decide how to deal with anyone else -- or make decisions at all

3. See #2

Edited by winterknight

@winterknight Hey, I'm conflicted a bit again.. Is awareness all there is? Is there nothing else? Am I all that I'm looking at? What will happen when body-mind dies?