winterknight

I am enlightened. Sincere seekers: ask me anything

4,542 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, OmniYoga said:

@winterknight
1. how does it relate to the present? isn't enlightment about that ? (being NOW) why past is still important
2. how does it relate to the ego/personality and concept of no-self , from my understading there in nothingness at the core, pure emptiness,
so why does past ego/personality still matter - if it needs to be dissolved

You cannot see the truth if the mind is disturbed. If you haven't dealt with your psychological baggage, your mind will be disturbed. Therapy is an excellent way of dealing with psychological baggage.

In ancient times only after years of preparation in monasteries would a student be permitted to learn final truths about existence. That is because it took that time for the physical and mental disciplines to quiet the mind sufficiently. In the modern world, for worldly seekers, that is unrealistic, so a different method of mental purification must be employed.

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

how do I know what is the next step in my spiritual growth?
I feel like I don't "make" progress - if that's not the wrong way of look it at
anyway I don't have expierences of what those mystics says despite of my meditation pratice

just mental constructs from what I heard or read,
but that isn't enough

11 minutes ago, bobbyward said:

@winterknight do you suffer at all? How many of the fetters in buddhism have you dropped?

The I that seems to suffer is not the true I. The I that can drop fetters is not the true I. If the enlightened one seems to suffer it does not mean there is actual suffering.

Anyhow, these are riddles. I don't talk about "my" experience because it's always misleading. If you have questions about your path and experiences, though, please ask. 

7 minutes ago, OmniYoga said:

how do I know what is the next step in my spiritual growth?
I feel like I don't "make" progress - if that's not the wrong way of look it at
anyway I don't have expierences of what those mystics says despite of my meditation pratice

just mental constructs from what I heard or read,
but that isn't enough

My general advice to seekers is contained in this set of links. What is your meditation practice?

Website/book/one-on-one spiritual guidance: Sifting to the Truth: A New Map to the Self

15 minutes ago, winterknight said:

What is your meditation practice?

mix of vipassana and do nothing
20 minutes per day, sometimes more,

also tried a lot "letting go" - im not sure is this Dawid Hawkins techniqe or some mix of it,
focusing on sensation in body, see what's came up and let go by cycles of pranic breathing inheal for 6 pause for 3 exheal for 6 pause for 3,
but nothing comes up and I don't feel anything (in terms of feelings, rather only thoughts)

9 minutes ago, OmniYoga said:

mix of vipassana and do nothing
20 minutes per day, sometimes more,

also tried a lot "letting go" - im not sure is this Dawid Hawkins techniqe or some mix of it,
focusing on sensation in body, see what's came up and let go by cycles of pranic breathing inheal for 6 pause for 3 exheal for 6 pause for 3,
but nothing comes up and I don't feel anything (in terms of feelings, rather only thoughts)

Yes, those are not the methods I recommend. I mainly recommend Ramana Maharshi's self-inquiry.

@winterknight I'm not sure if anyone asked you this already but do you feel that it is important to develop concentration alongside self-inquiry? In other words, should I be able to stay with the breath before I can do self-inquiry effectively?

8 hours ago, winterknight said:

Yes, those are not the methods I recommend. I mainly recommend Ramana Maharshi's self-inquiry.

@winterknight is self-inquiry in a nutshell becoming aware of being aware (observing the awareness itself)
that's what I've understand from Leo's video guide

@ivory  according to Leo, yes
you need to observe an awareness for a long period of time without mind distraction

1 hour ago, ivory said:

@winterknight I'm not sure if anyone asked you this already but do you feel that it is important to develop concentration alongside self-inquiry? In other words, should I be able to stay with the breath before I can do self-inquiry effectively?

There's no need to do that unless you feel like that's necessary. If you do, there's no harm.

Concentration is developed more broadly through having a quiet mind, and that requires having a basic intellectual framework for what the whole self-realization process is (you can get this from reading good scriptures and overviews of the whole process like my book), resolving all doubts about it (by asking questions of people like me) and becoming honest about your desires.

36 minutes ago, OmniYoga said:

@winterknight is self-inquiry in a nutshell becoming aware of being aware (observing the awareness itself)
that's what I've understand from Leo's video guide

That's not how I recommend approaching it. Read my link above and let me know if you have any questions.

Hi,

I can't decide on which practice to pursue during the 1-2 hours that I can carve out in the evening. 

During 'normal' hours (working, waiting, talking etc.) I do self-inquiry/mindfulness + some other experiments.

Could you answer these two questions? 

1) What is the relationship between energy and enlightenment? 

I have read and listened to several famous 'gurus' and there seem to be various conclusions. Enabler, distraction, energetic change as a result of enlightenment etc.

I have access to a practice that clears the mind (no thought and emotion state is easily achieved - generally less effort required than meditation, self-inquiry etc.) & manually squash energetic blockages. How much priority and time should I give it? (This practice is not traditional yoga. It directly drags a large chunk of energy). 

I am torn because based on direct experience I see both the potential power and harm. And my two favorite gurus (Sadguru and Mooji say very different things). 

2) How does enlightenment feel like?

I ask not because I am merely curious but because I want to concentrate on one practice during the 1-2 hour/daily evening time.  

Describing these sates are difficult so please just get the general gist of them.  

Practice 1: Everything is beautiful, deep love and compassion flow. My face somehow shows a smile that just comes out naturally. Every interaction is just positive without me trying or thinking about it. And this state is watched and there is deeper, calmer peace. 

Practice 2: No thought, no emotion. Very neutral. Sense of I is not there. Weird perception where everything seems like a painting on a giant 3-dimensional piece of paper because there are lines and objects but they (the trees, air, buildings) are all the same material (the paper). No event is disturbing but the me is not particularly loving or joyful and has a blank face. There is no peace. I(?) don't particularly feel peace. Strength and sense of knowing are there as a background and people seem to gravitate. 

I am planning on continuing the everyday practice of self-inquiry/mindfulness + 1hour energy practice for a couple of months then

reduce energy practice to 30mins + choose one between the two practices listed in Q2. Any input greatly appreciated! 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Prolific writer said:

Hi,

I can't decide on which practice to pursue during the 1-2 hours that I can carve out in the evening. 

During 'normal' hours (working, waiting, talking etc.) I do self-inquiry/mindfulness + some other experiments.

Could you answer these two questions? 

1) What is the relationship between energy and enlightenment? 

I have read and listened to several famous 'gurus' and there seem to be various conclusions. Enabler, distraction, energetic change as a result of enlightenment etc.

I have access to a practice that clears the mind (no thought and emotion state is easily achieved - generally less effort required than meditation, self-inquiry etc.) & manually squash energetic blockages. How much priority and time should I give it? (This practice is not traditional yoga. It directly drags a large chunk of energy). 

Energy is not a great way of thinking about things.

It only matters insofar as it affects your ability to have a quiet mind to pursue self-inquiry. A "quiet mind" is the better concept.

For example, if you haven't dealt with trauma (hopefully by psychoanalytic psychotherapy and by aligning your desires), you might not be able to concentrate on self-inquiry effectively.

Also, don't get seduced by "practices." The word "practice" can be dangerous and misleading. It's true for a little while, but very quickly you need to think beyond practice entirely. The Truth is not something which comes and goes, or which is built up like a good body or a set of skills.

Self-inquiry (and read this link to make sure you understand it correctly) is the key. You need to be engaging in self-inquiry at every waking moment. 

Self-inquiry is ultimately not a practice. Don't think of it as a practice. It is an intense looking with a seaching intent to find. It's not a repetitive, mechanical practice to get the mind to a certain state.

I am torn because based on direct experience I see both the potential power and harm. And my two favorite gurus (Sadguru and Mooji say very different things).

On every issue always listen to Mooji over Sadhguru.

2) How does enlightenment feel like?

I ask not because I am merely curious but because I want to concentrate on one practice during the 1-2 hour/daily evening time.  

Describing these sates are difficult so please just get the general gist of them.  

Practice 1: Everything is beautiful, deep love and compassion flow. My face somehow shows a smile that just comes out naturally. Every interaction is just positive without me trying or thinking about it. And this state is watched and there is deeper, calmer peace. 

Practice 2: No thought, no emotion. Very neutral. Sense of I is not there. Weird perception where everything seems like a painting on a giant 3-dimensional piece of paper because there are lines and objects but they (the trees, air, buildings) are all the same material (the paper). No event is disturbing but the me is not particularly loving or joyful and has a blank face. There is no peace. I(?) don't particularly feel peace. Strength and sense of knowing are there as a background and people seem to gravitate. 

I am planning on continuing the everyday practice of self-inquiry/mindfulness + 1hour energy practice for a couple of months then

reduce energy practice to 30mins + choose one between the two practices listed in Q2. Any input greatly appreciated! 

Neither state is right. The first state is focused around some idea of love; the second has no peace. The "state" you are looking for is not oriented around any particular emotion, but will be one of peace, clarity, and absolute effortlessness that happens not just as you're sitting but as you're walking, talking, and doing anything in the regular world.

Edited by winterknight

Posted (edited)

Conceptually  I think I know enlightenment or truth and enlightenment is not an experience so what am I looking for here ? I don't think we can get rid of ego so what is the point of all this seeking ?And is thinking and mind the same ?                                                                                         Does truth realization remains when the body dies ?                                                                         What is your opinion on sadhguru ? 

Edited by Karas

@winterknight Why do we have a sense of self if we are not supposed to, and if that is the route of all suffering. Should it be the goal to eliminate the ego? Isn't this a shame based practice... it seems rather unnatural. Does shame cure shame? In killing the ego (a shameful act surely... to kill anything) we are killing something shameful, the ego itself.

Do we have a soul?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, winterknight said:

Neither state is right. The first state is focused around some idea of love; the second has no peace. The "state" you are looking for is not oriented around any particular emotion, but will be one of peace, clarity, and absolute effortlessness that happens not just as you're sitting but as you're walking, talking, and doing anything in the regular world.

That's the exact description of what dreams are when you're lucid in them.

When you say it's not like that, is it because when we think about it it's just thoughts and not actuality, or because it still is different ?

Edited by Shin

If you want the moon, do not hide from the night
If you want a rose, do not run from the thorns
If you want love, do not hide from yourself

1 hour ago, Karas said:

Conceptually  I think I know enlightenment or truth and enlightenment is not an experience so what am I looking for here ? I don't think we can get rid of ego so what is the point of all this seeking ?And is thinking and mind the same ?                                                                                         Does truth realization remains when the body dies ?                                                                         What is your opinion on sadhguru ? 

You are looking for who you really are. The point of all this seeking is ultimate truth and freedom — though words cannot describe it fully. 

Whether thinking and mind are the same depends on the context in which we talk. These are words which are used in many different ways. 

Truth realization is beyond time and death. 

I am not a fan of Sadhguru.

1 hour ago, Paul92 said:

@winterknight Why do we have a sense of self if we are not supposed to, and if that is the route of all suffering. Should it be the goal to eliminate the ego? Isn't this a shame based practice... it seems rather unnatural. Does shame cure shame? In killing the ego (a shameful act surely... to kill anything) we are killing something shameful, the ego itself.

Do we have a soul?

Go and see if we do have a sense of self. You might be surprised. 

The goal is to see who you are. It is not a shame based practice. It is a practice of intense desire for truth. Forget “killing the ego.” Look for the ego first. What is it? What is the I?

Don’t worry about souls. All that will be understood if you look for the I.

1 hour ago, Shin said:

That's the exact description of what dreams are when you're lucid in them.

When you say it's not like that, is it because when we think about it it's just thoughts and not actuality, or because it still is different ?

The state may be similar to lucid dreaming, but enlightenment is not a state. States come and go. That’s the difference. Still, the peaceful free state is a very useful thing to find for a seeker. Holding to that, the other states will lose power and ignorance will eventually evaporate.

2 hours ago, winterknight said:

On every issue always listen to Mooji over Sadhguru.

53 minutes ago, winterknight said:

I am not a fan of Sadhguru.

Ah, that has always been my opinion/feeling too. 

Maybe I'm not so dumb after all ;)

What is the nature of feeling hurt by someone and anger towards them ? 
What can these feeling tell you, how to  maneuver and resolve them ?

2 hours ago, winterknight said:

The state may be similar to lucid dreaming, but enlightenment is not a state. States come and go. That’s the difference. Still, the peaceful free state is a very useful thing to find for a seeker. Holding to that, the other states will lose power and ignorance will eventually evaporate.

It doesn't feel like a state, there is no one to judge it as a state too.

I can't put words on it, because it's not really lucid dreaming as how it is normally described.

If you want the moon, do not hide from the night
If you want a rose, do not run from the thorns
If you want love, do not hide from yourself