Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ampresus

Is silence a form of meditation?

14 posts in this topic

Whenever I don't know what to do during meditation (I'm still new to all of this) I listen to the silence around me. If someone makes noise I listen to the remaining silence. Is this a form of meditation?

1 minute ago, Ampresus said:

Whenever I don't know what to do during meditation (I'm still new to all of this) I listen to the silence around me. If someone makes noise I listen to the remaining silence. Is this a form of meditation?

As long as you remain conscious, everything can be a meditation.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Ampresus You betcha.

Try this out for size: During meditation close your eyes and observe any thoughts or sounds that arise. Notice how your thoughts feel inside your head and sounds feel like they are outside your head. How can a sound be outside your head? Because that is how we are conditioned. Try letting go of that conditioning and observe thought and sound together in the same space. There is no "inside" and "outside"

Fun stuff.

1 minute ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Ampresus You betcha.

Try this out for size: During meditation close your eyes and be observe any thoughts or sounds that arise. Notice how your thoughts feel inside your head and sounds feel like they are outside your head. How can a sound be outside your head? Because that is how we are conditioned. Try letting go of that conditioning and observe thought and sound together in the same space. There is no "inside" and "outside"

Fun stuff.

@Serotoninluv I'm heading out to the woods now to do exactly that.  Allowing the "God consciousness" to emerge. No inside-no outside.:)

1 minute ago, cetus56 said:

I'm heading out to the woods now to do exactly that.  Allowing the "God consciousness" to emerge. No inside-no outside.:)

The creative/non-awarenessness

Can't be outside even in the materialist paradigm,

It's in your BRAIN !!!

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

so he‘s heading „into“ the woods, letting some fresh air inside the brain. quiet powerful this tree waste energy.

Edited by now is forever

42 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

I'm heading out to the woods now to do exactly that.

@cetus56 good luck :) 

Meditation is the attention on Breath, anything else is just techniques. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

29 minutes ago, Hellspeed said:

Meditation is the attention on Breath, anything else is just techniques. 

Attention to breath is actually a concentration technique.

After you have enough concentration, you start paying attention to bodily sensations. 

6 hours ago, Ampresus said:

I don’t know where you live, but total silence is rare. I guess, you can focus on the silence in-between sounds. 

One thing I like to do is, to notice  the arising and passing of sounds. This helps develop equanimity. Everything has a beginning, a middle, and an end.

I usually do short sessions.