Roman25

Stuck in a nihilist mindset

15 posts in this topic

If you don't know what nihilism is already then I suggest that you don't read this and you stay away from nihilism. I'm not kidding or writing this to be clever, it's very dangerous.

For a while now I have had a pretty positive outlook on my life. I have been meditating almost daily, watching Leo's vids, focusing on school, had a strong life purpose, etc. But I stumbled across a guy who was high on nihilism. I won't say his username since I don't want to be like that but I feel his points about life being meaningless seemed depressing. That no matter what I do, nothing matters in the end. I am at a point where I feel like living is dumb since your mind just comes up with random reasons of why you should exist when there is no point. I mean, scientists agree that reproduction is the objective purpose of life but the sun will destroy the earth one day. So all of history will be completely gone.

I'm basically posting this to hear what other people think about this subject. Maybe I'm missing something valuable.

I’ve learned to take action regardless of how I feel

motion creates emotion

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

Thanks for your response man. I'll try that tomorrow when the day is fresh. This whole nihilism thing needs to be debunked.

Nihilism IS a dangerous idea to embrace for someone just coming out of a materialist paradigm. Believe me, I know exactly what you're going through because I went through it myself. But nihilism is a necessary step to work through. Leo has said this before, and I agree with him. This is because nihilism is a partial truth. You haven't gone far enough, you have to contemplate and work through it to come out the other side a much stronger person. A more holistic thinker. And counter-intuitively, more grounded.

Let's consider for a moment that there was this grand plan for everyone. Then would you really be a conscious individual? Is there any room left for free will? What if you don't achieve your life purpose? Are you then a failure? Can you see how that mindset could create a lot of problems and stress down the line?

What is meaning? Leo has assigned this as homework for a contemplation journal, and I personally got a lot out of it. What is purpose? The fact is, there is no purpose, and all meaning is a mental construction. Meaning at its core is something you've constructed to help your monkey brain to do things for survival. It's necessary, it allowed us to be where we are today. Everything you've ever done has been based on meaning, so obviously it's quite a shock to your ego to be faced with the possibility that there is no meaning. That's the initial shock, which is where you're at. But when you think about it further, this will liberate you. Free you from the matrix. You can create any life you want for yourself. There's no false standard to hold yourself to. If you fail, it never really mattered. If you succeed, it also never really mattered from a materialist paradigm, but as you change what you value and change your metaphysical framework, you will see that the happiness and joy you gained is the real thing.

What is the first thing people do when they realize they're in a lucid dream? They fucking fly. Nihilism is a spiritual insight trapped in the framework of materialism.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

@Roman Edouard Well the good news is nihilism is pointless. The bad news is you have an egoic reaction to it. Nihilism is synonymous with Freedom so start to connect the dots and start to see the bigger picture. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

@TheAvatarStateThis is well said! 

I have been stuck here as well. It seems like quite the painful truth but it is indeed partial. I almost gave up on the ideas altogether as even if "i" thought i knew the truth of reality it seemed so depressing. I took a break from it all until i began to see the truth within. Simply observe how psychological movement / fear play a part in daily life. 

It may be useful to just drop all concepts/ideas and end the practices. 

As @Truthsays this egoic reaction is the struggle you will have to see through before you are free. 

I’m continually amazed by how obsessed the human mind is with meaning and purpose. Some minds will cling to the notions of meaning / purpose into the gates of insanity and depression.

Every other organism on earth is living in harmony without meaning or purpose. Humans realize there is no meaning / purpose and go into an absurd mellow drama. It’s like a bad soap opera. 

5 hours ago, Roman Edouard said:

If you don't know what nihilism is already then I suggest that you don't read this and you stay away from nihilism. I'm not kidding or writing this to be clever, it's very dangerous.

For a while now I have had a pretty positive outlook on my life. I have been meditating almost daily, watching Leo's vids, focusing on school, had a strong life purpose, etc. But I stumbled across a guy who was high on nihilism. I won't say his username since I don't want to be like that but I feel his points about life being meaningless seemed depressing. That no matter what I do, nothing matters in the end. I am at a point where I feel like living is dumb since your mind just comes up with random reasons of why you should exist when there is no point. I mean, scientists agree that reproduction is the objective purpose of life but the sun will destroy the earth one day. So all of history will be completely gone.

I'm basically posting this to hear what other people think about this subject. Maybe I'm missing something valuable.

believe me you can transcend it. I did. Keep fighting. You're not the ideas you believe you are, you have the power to choose. This is the real "ubermensch"

Edited by Strikr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbw__MsJZ0

We know nothing, and even, I m not sure. a.V.e

9 hours ago, TheAvatarState said:

Nihilism IS a dangerous idea to embrace for someone just coming out of a materialist paradigm. Believe me, I know exactly what you're going through because I went through it myself. But nihilism is a necessary step to work through. Leo has said this before, and I agree with him. This is because nihilism is a partial truth. You haven't gone far enough, you have to contemplate and work through it to come out the other side a much stronger person. A more holistic thinker. And counter-intuitively, more grounded.

Let's consider for a moment that there was this grand plan for everyone. Then would you really be a conscious individual? Is there any room left for free will? What if you don't achieve your life purpose? Are you then a failure? Can you see how that mindset could create a lot of problems and stress down the line?

What is meaning? Leo has assigned this as homework for a contemplation journal, and I personally got a lot out of it. What is purpose? The fact is, there is no purpose, and all meaning is a mental construction. Meaning at its core is something you've constructed to help your monkey brain to do things for survival. It's necessary, it allowed us to be where we are today. Everything you've ever done has been based on meaning, so obviously it's quite a shock to your ego to be faced with the possibility that there is no meaning. That's the initial shock, which is where you're at. But when you think about it further, this will liberate you. Free you from the matrix. You can create any life you want for yourself. There's no false standard to hold yourself to. If you fail, it never really mattered. If you succeed, it also never really mattered from a materialist paradigm, but as you change what you value and change your metaphysical framework, you will see that the happiness and joy you gained is the real thing.

What is the first thing people do when they realize they're in a lucid dream? They fucking fly. Nihilism is a spiritual insight trapped in the framework of materialism.

I'm really liking how you're opening up the door for me to do more contemplative work. I will definitely do Leo's homework assignment (which I know what vid it's from but I didn't do). It makes me glad to hear from someone who thought the same way but started thinking even deeper.

9 hours ago, Truth said:

@Roman Edouard Well the good news is nihilism is pointless. The bad news is you have an egoic reaction to it. Nihilism is synonymous with Freedom so start to connect the dots and start to see the bigger picture. 

I understand completely what you're saying. And now that I think about it... when I first started believing in Nihilism it was mainly emotional rather than logical. It's more like I want to believe in it rather than it being the truth.

8 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

I’m continually amazed by how obsessed the human mind is with meaning and purpose. Some minds will cling to the notions of meaning / purpose into the gates of insanity and depression.

Every other organism on earth is living in harmony without meaning or purpose. Humans realize there is no meaning / purpose and go into an absurd mellow drama. It’s like a bad soap opera. 

Lol yeah. For a month now I have been clinging to my idea of Nihilism and I felt nothing but a very painful emotion. Around the chest area and a bit around the head. I guess that it is silly to be depressed just because life has no meaning. It should be freeing instead to live how you would like.

8 hours ago, SageModeAustin said:

@Roman Edouard Good luck. 

Thanks, man. The good luck already found me :) 

6 hours ago, Strikr said:

believe me you can transcend it. I did. Keep fighting. You're not the ideas you believe you are, you have the power to choose. This is the real "ubermensch"

I love how you say 'you're not the ideas you believe you are, and you have the power to choose'. That is extremely powerful.

Go full circle with nihilism. It doesnt matter that it doesnt matter; really let thst one sink in dude. The next step is to realize happiness is not contigent upon meaning but instead is found by fully accepting what is and BEING. 

The fact that your wrestling with nihilism means youre on the right track. But keep going further and realize that meaninglessness is just as meaningless as meaning and that happiness isn’t actually derived from it :)