bernieboy20

Can I Become Enlightened Without Becoming A Weirdo?

24 posts in this topic

Part of what scares me about spirituality is ostracising myself from society. Is it possible to practice spirituality while having respect for the social matrix and maintaining family and friends?

Why do you think this would happen in the first place? My social circle has only increased.

Edited by Neill Bolton

When you become enlightened you won't even think or care that you might be portrayed as a "weirdo". Anyways you only become a "weirdo" to those that are completely uncouscious, so who cares.

No. Enlightenment is simply the realization of your true nature beyond your concept of self. It actually removes all false affectations and neuroses while bringing you in touch with wisdom. It could be described as becoming normal and wise. Most people may not understand what you're going through on the way there, and you won't be able to share much of your wisdom with most people in life. But this is why Zen Masters were notoriously reticent with their words and actions. But if you reach enlightenment, you won't be overtly concerned with other's opinion of you. So, that won't be a bother. But if you're worried about being able to function in society, have no worries. There are enlightened people, and they all seem very normal. There is no outside indicator for a person being enlightened. They do look happy though. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@Neill Bolton Please don't tell us you are enlightened lol, but I get you mean by practicing spirituality only. (I would actually be confused and scared if you were enlightened)

@bernieboy20 Of course it's possible, you don't have to be a ultra passive, half-dead, slow talking yogi sitting just there, smiling and barely comminucating at all. But when you are enlightened you probably will be more relaxed and more calm, which may seem a little more passive. That's ok, you are only in the state of allowing and pure acceptance, also you then practice massive emotional self-control.

Just now, Lucifer said:

@Neill Bolton Please don't tell us you are enlightened lol

Never said anything of the sort.

Just now, Neill Bolton said:

Never said anything of the sort.

Okay, thanks. I can't wait till you are enlightened tho, already excited how your posts will change in this forum :P 

@bernieboy20 You simply become aware of the social matrix. You don't destroy it and everything it stands for. The social matrix is a piece of reality, becoming enlightened entails seeing reality as it is. In a way the social matrix is now driving you to practice spirituality, is it not? 

As far as becoming a weirdo is concerned, some people already think you are weird, others think you are great.

Have you ever really been able to control this?

As far as interactions are concerned, I presume you will be able to relate to people as is needed. You won't need to maintain some internal high ground.

There is a quote that I love which goes something like:

"you are not more for becoming a Buddha, and you are not less for being a person"

Edited by Galahad

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

And to the OP question: NO! You will not become a "weirdo". You will become more normal, actually.

Edited by Lha Bho
Because Dragons

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

1 hour ago, DizIzMikey said:

@Lha Bho What is the meaning of the dragon eating its own tail? 

It looks very unhealthy

It's Ouroboros, the serpent eating its tail is one of the oldest archetypal images known to man. It is symbolic of the eternal cycle of renewal in the world; how death and destruction beget life and creation. As in, when plants die, new ones grow in its place. New generations come, and older generations eventually die.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

@bernieboy20 Either your awakened, or you continue to live in the matrix of the mind. Your choice. Awakening is not something you do for others. Although they will most likely benefit in some way from your awakening.  "If" you awaken, ask yourself again, "What exactly is a Weirdo?"  You may find that the definition has changed drastically for you!

You could make the analogy of how bad would it be to be an athiest in the dark ages? Knowing that god doesn't exist? If you keep it to yourself and pretend to be religious you will be normal

11 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

You could make the analogy of how bad would it be to be an athiest in the dark ages? Knowing that god doesn't exist? If you keep it to yourself and pretend to be religious you will be normal

Not quite. The incongruence of perspective would be similar. But your feelings about that incongruence wouldn't be as much of a burden from the enlightened paradigm. The incongruence would not be understood as expressly negative. It would just be as it is, and the enlightened person would adjust accordingly without judging the phenomenon... even though they'd probably prefer to be understood. 

Emotionalmastery.org

Anyone who really thinks he will not become weird with regard to the "norms" hasn't had a shift or at least a glimpse.

Often times meditation is sold as some tool to become a better ego, a more balanced, loving and integrated ego. That's not the aim of enlightenment or awakening. Whoever tells you otherwise doesn't know what he is talking about.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Anyone who really thinks he will not become weird with regard to the "norms" hasn't had a shift or at least a glimpse.

Often times meditation is sold as some tool to become a better ego, a more balanced, loving and integrated ego. That's not the aim of enlightenment or awakening. Whoever tells you otherwise doesn't know what he is talking about.

That's very true. 

Following along with @Toby ....

Part of the pathless path of enlightenment is self-negation, which is essentially un-brainwashing yourself from not only your own beliefs, but also all societal assumptions (which in turn bring about societal norms). If you've seen Leo's video on 30 ways society f**ks you in the ass, then you get a sense of the beast you're up against. An example of one of the most prominent societal constructs is incompleteness. You are incomplete unless you buy this new car, marry this woman, have this career, become enlightened. You won't be happy until you have all of those things. 

This is my experience on the matter: If you ostracize yourself from that societal construct along with the others, you will likely act differently from the norm and be labeled as "weird". Friends and family may notice that you're not as excitable, that "you've changed." If you take this journey, there's no avoiding the possibility that you will change in some ways. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. In fact, it's very freeing. Relationships that were originally fuel for the ego will likely fizzle out, leaving you with more energy during the day. Relationships that are authentic and non-clinging will stay. You may or may not choose not to continue playing the conventional societal game. You will have no sense of obligation to anyone or anything. How is that not weird according to modern society? But even by the time you're labelled as weird, it wouldn't even phase you because you wouldn't take it personally; it becomes a non-issue.

You can try to maintain your friends and family relationships the same way you have been @bernieboy20 , and if it works, it works. But in my experience, once you start waking up, something's gotta give. Either the relationships have to metamorphose, or they have to be dropped. It eventually becomes too painful, too futile, to maintain long-term ego-fueled relationships. If you're being reborn, there will probably be labor pains.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

@Emerald Wilkins Yes! Perfect explanation! Thanks!

@DizIzMikey The Ouroboros Awakens to become the Uraeus. Along with what @Emerald Wilkins  said, the Ouroboros is also a symbol of the Ego Mind. And the Uraeus is the Snake having let go of it's Tail.

Horus Phre Massen.jpg

Ouroboros.png

Uraeus.gif

Pharaoh Uraeus.jpg