Manjushri

How is gravity just a belief if it relates to direct experience?

10 posts in this topic

So, let's question the belief of gravity. Why is it true? Because here, every time in my direct experience it happens *throws a book up that falls*. It's not circular, it relates to direct experience. So? The only problem is the problem of induction, of course. 

Because you as the Being invented it (made it up) to be part of the illusion.  Just like they put artificial gravity in video games, otherwise every thing would just float around aimlessly and it would be very hard to progress through the environment ?

Edited by starsofclay

29 minutes ago, Gligorije said:

let's question the belief of gravity.

Newton saw the fruit falling, he didn't see the tree rising up.

@Gligorije It is a problem only if it is limiting.

It is limiting, when there are conflicting evidence for something and you dismiss the evidence to uphold the belief of gravity.
For example: What if I said that I can make you enlightened, but you just have to follow this technique and first learn to levitate?
Wouldn't you think up front that I am a charlatan and dismiss my promise? 
What if I was legit and not only I would teach you to levitate, but also make you enlightened?
You wouldn't even give yourself a chance to hear me out.

Of course, this example is fantastical, but there may be such situations in everyday encounters that we don't even notice because we assume that it is impossible to beat gravity without special equipment. It prevents us from even trying and block our capacity to notice.

The question is: when is it warranted to question this very basic belief that it is true? To an everyday human, probably never.
But for science, for example - this question is much more relevant and scientists are not willing to make half of its knowledge irrelevant.
They are not even willing to look for evidence to disprove gravity any longer. And what is the scientific world made of, if not everyday humans?
Also: where do everyday humans take their theories from, if not scientific world?

This is how this belief is circular.
The sheer amount of depth you need to explore to notice it is the reason for why it is universally held as true.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

two views

science tells us everything attracts everything no matter how "far" away... your pubes are having a gravitational pull on the sun for example

to me, this is just the connected structure of reality... size matters... the large the object relative to something else, the large it's pull of gravity (maybe call it Love) love is all, afterall

the other view from the belief point of view and I think also partially what @tsuki was saying as well is this.

it is our belief from the experience in our "current view" of the global consciousness in which you lift an object up from the floor, let go, and it drops vs staying at the height or float about...

the way consciousness works (think law of attraction) is the degree / level of your belief determines the outcome... it's more of an expectation

we can all agree that if any of us stands in the middle of the road and there's an long-haul truck travelling towards us head-on at 100km/h, you'll die upon impact.

would you call that a belief? or would you call that a fact?

upon analyzing, you will find that facts are belief actualized... or one can say, facts is when your level of belief in something or a process becomes 100% (beyond a shred of doubt)

now this is hard to imagine, but it IS the case, for someone, somehow, if they stumble upon this and have experiential understanding of it, he/she would be able to stand in-front of that truck and not die / absorb the impact or end up giving rise to a certain process yet unknown by science...

to the general naked eye, it will look like "miracle" 

that's exactly what it is. now someone may say Jesus did the miracles was a "symbolic" thing and it wasn't "real"

Jesus's knowledge of how this all works was such that "YOU WILL BE DONE" instant manifestation... etc

and this thing snow-balls really

someone asking for something or trying to manifest it. and then ends up getting it. it strengths their belief in that, which then allows them to do this process again with greater success and then it snowballs down from there

also note, what exactly is the "death" of physical body..

in the 1800s a body would be pronounced dead past a certain level of sickness or w/ever... vs now we have technology which can resuscitate a patient using various tech / keep alive on ventilators etc

the structure of reality and the possibilities are infinite. the processes can be actualized by will. there will have occurred some process (explainable by science yet unknown) which allows for that "miracle" to occur

there are also cases where someone in a danger situation was able to muster superhuman strength for example by pushing a boulder which momentarily crashed on him and he was able to push it off.. weighed like 1-2 tonnes or something.. anyhow..

BLESS UP

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

You don’t need the ‘Paradigm of Gravity or No Gravity’ to have ‘Gravity’.  Try to make a distinction between thoughts and awareness. There’s a difference between the phenomenological experiences we call ‘Gravity’ and the Paradigm of Gravity.  To say ‘Gravity exists’ is a ‘Belief’ about ‘Reality’.  To see a book falling down is a phenomenological experience in an actual moment.  BE-ing doesn’t need to respond to ‘why’.  It’s the Mind that’s obsessed with ‘why’.  And we create all these stories in attempts to ‘Know BE-ing’.  But BE-ing just is what it is.  The Mind is neurotically running-around trying to put BE-ing into conceptual cubby-holes.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

3 hours ago, Gligorije said:

So, let's question the belief of gravity. Why is it true? Because here, every time in my direct experience it happens *throws a book up that falls*. It's not circular, it relates to direct experience. So? The only problem is the problem of induction, of course. 

But what is appearing as gravity?

And what is the nature of gravity?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

But what is appearing as gravity?

And what is the nature of gravity?

Gravity isn't a thing, it is an abstract idea. It is just the name we gave to an "event". Something like that?

@Gligorije You need to be much more careful about distinguishing an empirical observation from the conceptual schemes and interpretations you give to it.

"Gravity" is NOT an empirical observation. It's a conceptual scheme which you're using to explain many, many various kinds of empirical observations.

Before Newton invented gravity, it did not exist. But objects did still fall downward on this planet. But "gravity" is way more than the observation of objects falling down on this planet. Which is precisely why it took a genius like Newton to invent gravity. People had been observing falling objects for thousands of years but had no notion of gravity.

A cat clearly sees objects falling down. But a cat does not know gravity. Gravity does not exist to a cat. Although the cat is still affected by "it".

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

16 hours ago, Gligorije said:

The book goes up and falls down. You can SEE that it does. Then a THOUGHT arises labelling it as gravity. Does the THOUGHT have any impact at all or is it only an addition to what is happening? 

Do you believe that the THOUGHT is true? Then it's a belief, identification with the THOUGHT. 

Is the book really a book? What makes it so?